Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
bringer666
bringer666 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
MobiDeDRM for .prc files

I have an iPhone and some books that I've purchased from Fictionwise that are in secure MobiPocket format. I am trying to use MobiDeDRM to take out the DRM so I can use Stanza to read the books. I have been able to run MobiDeDRM successfully (or so it seems) using the line:
mobidedrm.py book.prc book_nodrm.prc ID#
The ID# is the one that I have in my Palm version of Mobi reader which is used by the program to encrypt the book. The conversion does not error out and I get a file at the end that is the same size as the original.
When the conversion is done I have tried opening the book in the Windows Stanza reader (so I can share it and put it on my iPhone) and when the program tries to open the book, I get the error:
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1420

Can anybody help me figure out what the problem is? I am using version .05 of MobiDeDRM.
bringer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Does it open in Mobi's desktop software? I'd try that to rule out a Stanza problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Try using Calibre to convert the MOBI to ePub. On the command line: any2epub file.mobi or use the GUI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Does it open in Mobi's desktop software? I'd try that to rule out a Stanza problem.
I second that advice. The desktop version of Stanza isn't the best reader, and the problem may be with it rather than the ebook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
bringer666
bringer666 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Got it! Thank you very much.

I was able to open the file in the Mobipocket reader. I used Calibre to convert the file into epub format and then I was able to open this file in Stanza and then was able to transfer it to my iPhone and it looks great.

Thank you very much everybody for your help.
bringer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
viiiupndhead
viiiupndhead began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve, Macbook Pro
Sincere Thanks

I had the same problem with Stanza. If you are trying to convert a Mobi book to read on a Mac do the following.

1. Download this zip file: LINK REMOVED

2. Run the applescript to remove the DRM

3. Download Callibre

4. Convert the unlocked file into an epub file.

5. You can then view it with Stanza or use stanza to convert it to something else.
viiiupndhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'm getting an 'Invalid Encryption Type 0' error

When I try to de-DRM a .prc file, I'm getting that error upon running MobiDeDRM. I 'think' this means it hasn't been encrypted - am I correct?

(I'm asking because I just used iPhone Backup Extractor to remove a Kindle .azw ebook from my iPhone and the Kindle ebook *should* have been DRM-laden as it was purchased, by me, through Amazon.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
When I try to de-DRM a .prc file, I'm getting that error upon running MobiDeDRM. I 'think' this means it hasn't been encrypted - am I correct?
Yes. Just rename it from .azw to .mobi or .prc and any MOBI Reader will display it.

Quote:
(I'm asking because I just used iPhone Backup Extractor to remove a Kindle .azw ebook from my iPhone and the Kindle ebook *should* have been DRM-laden as it was purchased, by me, through Amazon.)
Almost all AZW ebooks originally submitted through Amazon's DTP are DRM-free. All the AZWs originally submitted through mobipocket.com have DRM. Another rule of thumb is that major publishers use DRM, independent authors submitting their own stuff generally don't.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. Just rename it from .azw to .mobi or .prc and any MOBI Reader will display it.

Almost all AZW ebooks originally submitted through Amazon's DTP are DRM-free. All the AZWs originally submitted through mobipocket.com have DRM. Another rule of thumb is that major publishers use DRM, independent authors submitting their own stuff generally don't.
Now ONE of the books gave me an Invalid File Type (Format?) error. Is that a DRM'd one? And any ideas on how to use MobiDeDRM on it? It, too, was purchased through Amazon and works FINE on my iPod Touch. Of the three I purchased through Amazon, it is the only one that Mobipocket Reader *won't* open and it's a friggin' 3.7MB file size!

BTW, all three showed up as .prc on the iPod Touch when I ran iPhone Backup Extractor. And they show the .prc extension even under WinXP - not .azw.

Derek
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Thank you Derek! That answered an important question for me
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Now ONE of the books gave me an Invalid File Type (Format?) error. Is that a DRM'd one? And any ideas on how to use MobiDeDRM on it? It, too, was purchased through Amazon and works FINE on my iPod Touch.
This means that it isn't a BOOKMOBI file (Wiki: PDB), so it is probably a TOPAZ file. These start with the letters TPZ, and they are not in Palm PDB or PRC format. These can't be decrypted with mobidedrm.

TOPAZ ebooks tend to be large, because they contain bitmaps in six sizes of the fonts they use.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Drat, drat, and drat again! I was hoping this would prove to be a workaround to be able to format shift Topaz files. Guess not.... "curses, foiled again..."
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Drat, drat, and drat again! I was hoping this would prove to be a workaround to be able to format shift Topaz files. Guess not.... "curses, foiled again..."
Yep. I just confirmed it with Hextreme. My Kindle edition of "The American Zone" is in .tpz format even though it was given the same .prc extension as the two BOOKMOBI Kindle ebooks, "Hope" and "Tom Paine Maru". Damn! The iPod Touch (8GB) does NOT handle 3.8MB ebooks in .tpz format very fast! It runs about 3-4 seconds to decrypt each PAGE!

Derek
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
My Kindle edition of "The American Zone" is in .tpz format even though it was given the same .prc extension as the two BOOKMOBI Kindle ebooks,
The use of .prc is presumably some iPhone filetype recognition kludge, either to allow downloading to the iPhone or to bind the files to the Kindle Reader app. The app started out as a Mobipocket Reader (by all accounts), so Amazon probably slapped TOPAZ processing on the side without changing the filename extension logic.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
dangkict
dangkict began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Everyone,
Sorry to cut in. I dont want to make a new thread.
Also, I did search around, but maybe not using the correct key words.
Could anyone can help to answer why I can't use mobi2html for this below file http://www.mediafire.com/file/q2i5wg... tang hinh.prc
1) Currently, I can read this file on my Mobile, but the font is not very correct,
2) I intend to do some font conversion, which need to extract the file to HTML, convert the Font then save back as PRC
3) I get my device PID by using Mobipocket Reader -> Reading Devices -> Properties
4) I found that this is DRM-ed, so I'm try to use MobileDeDRM 0.5 with my PID, but it told me "Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect"
What should I do?

Thanks for all the help.
Regards.
dangkict is offline   Reply With Quote