Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Stanza offering during Read an E-Book Week

Rita Toews passed on to me yesterday that Stanza, the iPhone e-book reading app, will feature a special catalog of books available for free during Read an E-Book Week, March 8-14.

Lexcycle, maker of Stanza, has been a strong supporter of Read an E-Book Week, and unlike certain computer moguls we know (cough-SteveJobs!-cough), sees a bright future for e-books read on the iPhone and iPod touch, and for many other devices in the future.

Additional note: As I had already announced the availability of my novel, Berserker, for free during REBW, Stanza will be including my novel in their catalog.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Forgive me, Steve, but I don't own an iPhone or iTouch and have never used Stanza. Do you know in what formats these titles will be offered? Do I need Stanza Desktop to download/read them, or can I copy them directly to my device?

Incidently, I'm re-reading Berserker to get ready for your release of The Lens, the next installment in the Kestral Voyages series. Carolyn Kestral reminds me of Captain Kathryn Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stanza creates individual "apps" out of each book. You have to download Stanza to your device to read the apps. Stanza can convert ePub and eReader files to Stanza, which, I believe, is a format of its own or a unique packaging of one of those formats. Right now, you can only use Stanza on the iPhone and iPod Touch, but Lexcycle is working on developing versions for other platforms.

I don't know which books will be made available by Stanza, but there's a good chance that many of them will also be made available by their publishers, for free, in other formats. (If you didn't already have Berserker, you will be able to get it from my site for free that week.)
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Stanza creates individual "apps" out of each book.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean on the iPod Touch? If you think what I think you mean then that isn't correct.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What do you mean by this? Do you mean on the iPod Touch? If you think what I think you mean then that isn't correct.
Yeah, Stanza's native format is ePub. (There are some apps in the app store that "package" Stanza and a book together, which may be the cause of some confusion.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, that was my understanding of how Stanza worked (I don't use it either, it's not out for LG Dare!).
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Sorry, that was my understanding of how Stanza worked (I don't use it either, it's not out for LG Dare!).
No... Stanza is an App in the App store. Once you install it you use it to d/l and manage books. The library of books exists withing Stanza itself.

There is a company that sells "apps" of PD books. Each book is it's own separate app. So, if you have 10 of them then you have 10 apps (icons) on your iPod touch. That I don't like.

Stanza works better... and heck it is free... and you can get all the same books that other place is selling "app books" as for free too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No... Stanza is an App in the App store. Once you install it you use it to d/l and manage books. The library of books exists withing Stanza itself.

There is a company that sells "apps" of PD books. Each book is it's own separate app. So, if you have 10 of them then you have 10 apps (icons) on your iPod touch. That I don't like.

Stanza works better... and heck it is free... and you can get all the same books that other place is selling "app books" as for free too.

BOb
I am not sure how much better it works. The first thing Stanza does when importing a file is to strip all the formatting, bolding, italics, and the like from the input file and then formats it for ePUB. This would seem to lose significant information IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am not sure how much better it works. The first thing Stanza does when importing a file is to strip all the formatting, bolding, italics, and the like from the input file and then formats it for ePUB.
And if the file is already in ePub?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
And if the file is already in ePub?
Then it is just fine. The formatting problems occur when using the Stanza desktop app to convert to ePub (at least in the Windows version).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Then it is just fine. The formatting problems occur when using the Stanza desktop app to convert to ePub (at least in the Windows version).
Excellent, as I gave them an ePub file!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Steve, your Berserker download from Stanza isn't working-- it generates an error message!

Could you post the epub version on your web site? I didn't see it there! Thanks for making it available...
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Steve, your Berserker download from Stanza isn't working-- it generates an error message!

Could you post the epub version on your web site? I didn't see it there! Thanks for making it available...
If you go to the novels page of my site, you'll see it there (as well as the other formats).

I believe there's something different about the way Stanza handles ePub files, but Lexcycle had not informed me that it wasn't working at all. I'll see what I can find out from them.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Thanks for the heads-up!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe this comment in another thread will help.