Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Swipe your credit card, and it's yours!
Tempting. Very tempting.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #17
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Cool

I remember sitting in front of that machine for an hour last Christmas reading from my Sony reader and watching everyone come up and consider buying. I was able to help plant the seeds for a couple by giving a live demo on mine.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Same thing happened to my dad. He retired with no plan or anything to do. Just thought something would come along and he was miserable.
My plan is to only talk to sane people when I retire. I realize that this means I won't be here anymore, but there are sacrifices to be made everywhere.

I once considered buying an Ipod from one of those. decided i could probably get a better price on line.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
My plan is to only talk to sane people when I retire. I realize that this means I won't be here anymore, but there are sacrifices to be made everywhere.
And I plan to die in the traces (so to speak). I'm not the type to retire ... I have to be working on something for a good part of every day, or I'm just not happy.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

I once considered buying an Ipod from one of those. decided i could probably get a better price on line.

I also plan on volunteering at the DQ down the road a piece. Just let me be the one to hand ice cream cones to happy, healthy kids every now and again. For the same reason you only want to talk to sane people.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
You know I never thought anyone bought from these machines until I saw a man buy two ipods (nanos) for his children.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And I plan to die in the traces (so to speak). I'm not the type to retire ... I have to be working on something for a good part of every day, or I'm just not happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Same thing happened to my dad. He retired with no plan or anything to do. Just thought something would come along and he was miserable.
see, i just don't understand that at all. i can't WAIT to retire, i am counting the minutes (and sadly, by the time i appreaoch the current legal retirement age, i'm sure it will have been moved back to 98 or something and i'll die before i get there). right now, all this "work" is just cutting shamelessly into my life. i have SO many better things to do with my time. i should have been born one of the idle rich ; i would never get bored. seriously.
Quote:
oh, well we'll miss you ! i can't make any similar resolutions, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have any friends left if i did. but i can understand, in your line of work. just realize you might end up sane but really lonely (actually i'm not sure about the sane part...).

token on topic remark : i'm not sure i would trust electronics bought from a vending machine. it evokes melty chocolate bars too much. and what do you do if you swipe your credit card, and your liseuse gets stuck right before the drop, and you can't retrieve it ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
see, i just don't understand that at all. i can't WAIT to retire, i am counting the minutes (and sadly, by the time i appreaoch the current legal retirement age, i'm sure it will have been moved back to 98 or something and i'll die before i get there). right now, all this "work" is just cutting shamelessly into my life. i have SO many better things to do with my time. i should have been born one of the idle rich ; i would never get bored. seriously.

oh, well we'll miss you ! i can't make any similar resolutions, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have any friends left if i did. but i can understand, in your line of work. just realize you might end up sane but really lonely (actually i'm not sure about the sane part...).

token on topic remark : i'm not sure i would trust electronics bought from a vending machine. it evokes melty chocolate bars too much. and what do you do if you swipe your credit card, and your liseuse gets stuck right before the drop, and you can't retrieve it ???
Now, I never said I was normal. I don't understand it myself. But taking my work away from me would be like .... well, like breaking a race horse's legs and putting him out to pasture crippled.

I would just go completely i n s a n e !!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
i can't WAIT to retire, i am counting the minutes (and sadly, by the time i appreaoch the current legal retirement age, i'm sure it will have been moved back to 98 or something and i'll die before i get there). right now, all this "work" is just cutting shamelessly into my life. i have SO many better things to do with my time. i should have been born one of the idle rich ; i would never get bored. seriously.
I think this is why they say you should "do what you love" for a job. Don't ask me who "they" is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

Well, when a Coke gets stuck in the one here at work, we put a sticky note on it and eventually someone brings us the 75 cents. So I'm guessing people will post stickies asking for refunds?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Now, I never said I was normal. I don't understand it myself. But taking my work away from me would be like .... well, like breaking a race horse's legs and putting him out to pasture crippled.

I would just go completely i n s a n e !!
go?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I can see the headline: Ebook Kills Traveler. The story would explain about the product stuck in the vending machine, the attempt to buy an SD card to jar it loose, it too getting stuck, then an attempt to rock the machine, and it toppling and crushing the man. Looters grabbed Readers from the broken machine. They were all apprehended later, of course, when they registered their product on the Sony Connect site.

This story then used as justification from publishers for 1) not supporting the ebook market, and when they grudgingly do, requiring 2) DRM.

As an odd detail in the story, the dying man was heard to mutter "the blue one, next to the fish". Fascinated readers, googling the phrase, joined MobileRead and bought Kindles.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think this is why they say you should "do what you love" for a job. Don't ask me who "they" is.

BOb
the worst part is, i am doing what i love. i actually do like the *work* and i imagine i would continue doing it after retirement, for fun. sometimes i do projects for free *now*, if i like the project / people enough. it's the clients that drive me mad. when i retire, i'll be able to pick my clients. and the selection process will be rigorous, i can assure you. also, since i'll be working for free, the client will no longer be able to say "but i don't like blue, can you make it orange instead ?", or ask me to move that bit over 2 mm to the left, or reduce the width of a 5 mm stripe by "a few millimeters"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Well, when a Coke gets stuck in the one here at work, we put a sticky note on it and eventually someone brings us the 75 cents. So I'm guessing people will post stickies asking for refunds?
heh... stickies on the sony machine... conflation of so many, many amusing images...

Quote:
go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I can see the headline: Ebook Kills Traveler. The story would explain about the product stuck in the vending machine, the attempt to buy an SD card to jar it loose, it too getting stuck, then an attempt to rock the machine, and it toppling and crushing the man. Looters grabbed Readers from the broken machine. They were all apprehended later, of course, when they registered their product on the Sony Connect site.

This story then used as justification from publishers for 1) not supporting the ebook market, and when they grudgingly do, requiring 2) DRM.

As an odd detail in the story, the dying man was heard to mutter "the blue one, next to the fish". Fascinated readers, googling the phrase, joined MobileRead and bought Kindles.
no no no, that's not what happened : they all bought Cybooks.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #29
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
no no no, that's not what happened : they all bought Cybooks.
Ha, after a hard day's work, that gave me a nice chuckle.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #30
pshrynk

Here's my retirement plan: