Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
ePub to pdf: Doesn't respect soft hyphens in ePub

My purpose is to create hyphenated pdf output for Sony PRS-950. This is the only way to obtain hyphenated display at Sony readers because they do not display hyphen at line end.
To this end, I'm embedding soft hyphen codes to ePub book and convert resulting output to pdf. Calibre creates perfect pdf with right size images and embedded font (I'm embedding user font during conversion) but without any hyphenation.
Interesting that hyphenation stays put when Calibre converts the same hyphenated ePub to azw3 but kills hyphenation in pdf.
My question: Is there any way to keep hyphenation in pdf at conversion ePub->pdf?
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there isn't.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thank you for very prompt reply.
May I ask you about the alternative way to obtain hyphenated pdf for Sony?

I recently found that Calibre creates very nice rtf from ePub input. I created rtf from ePub, opened output in MS Word, allowed hyphenation, reformatted file for Sony page and saved as pdf.
Again, I obtained nice pdf...but all images looked resized, actually they were too big. I tried output profile "tablet" that should keep size of images intact but that didn't help.
Images look good in source epub but somehow conversion to rtf makes them oversized.
Can I request Calibre to keep images intact during conversion epub->rtf?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
rtf output does not do anything to images, it simply copies the images from the epub into the rtf. If the epub is using css to resize the images, then that css will have no effect in the rtf.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict

Got it. My bad, my example ePub really explicitely specifies size of images.
Ok, looks as epub->rtf + reformatting in Word is the only way to solve my problem.
Thanks a lot.
Advert