Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
xyzyx3
xyzyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-350
Dead/inverted pixels

Will try keep it short

Sony Reader PRS-350 (silver) both in original packaging and unopened.

First order:
- 1 dead/inverted pixel near middle of the screen. Ok, bad luck I thought tried to ignore it but didn't work mind goes on its own finding stuff that doesn't fit in.

Replacement:
- 3 dead/inverted + 1 half dead/inverted pixel (wrong grayscale & noticeable). None of them are that near the center but still very noticeable.

Am I being a prick for returning them I mean is this normal for E-ink should bad pixels be accepted? They're no tiny-I've-got-microscopic-vision-pixels they're very noticeable when I read (the reader is so small and near my eyes), fine when you read a book you see them sometimes bad printing on a page here and there but at least you can turn the page for real and it's/they're gone.

So, hope for a 3rd replacement, order from somewhere else (bad batch?), continue reading on my LCD screen? Anyone else had this problem?

xyzyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Never seen a dead pixel on any of my Sonys or had a return to the shop, I work at part time, for that reason... hope you have better luck this time...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
duncann
duncann began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, T1
I had a 950 with a stuck pixel near the center--left to right--and about two-thirds the way down the screen. I'm like you, in that it bugged the living crap out of me even though I couldn't see it most of the time. In fact, to really see it clearly I had to use a magnifying glass. I tried to get used to it for about 2 weeks but finally exchanged it for another (seems to be fine).

Some people are pretty anal about stuff like this, and I'm one of them. So I don't think you're being a prick at all. When you shove out a lot of money for a product it should not have visible defects. This is something the company's quality control technically can and should be willing to catch, so as far as I'm concerned the purchaser is the last line in detecting these sorts of defects. Sadly, the company will probably find nothing wrong with it and call it refurbished.
duncann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I have one on my PRS 350. It doesn't bother me, and I can only really see it well under a direct bright light. I can't be bothered to return it, but I don't see anything wrong with you doing it.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
xyzyx3
xyzyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-350
Yeah, I'm talking to them now hopefully I'll get a replacement... it's a great reader I wrote scripts and stuff for it when I got my first.

Anyways, when thinking back I'm 95% sure I checked that screen on the 2nd one VERY thoroughly before turning it on (charging) for the first time -> bad pixels went perma-bad == Sony never turned it on & checked screen aka quality control or the reader has been.. in off-state for too long.. or I don't know.
xyzyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Bro Pete
Connoisseur
Bro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfoldedBro Pete reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Sony PRS 650
I hate it when some niggling little thing catches your attention and ruins the experience. I've never had any screen problems like you mention on my 650. I've had some ghosting, but that resolves itself with a page turn or two. I wonder if the bad pixels are in the same area of the screen for all the units you've tried? If so could it be a problem with the case or the enviroment around the reader when you use it or store it?

The way quality control and customer service should work---get someone to turn it on before shipping a replacement out to you. That probably won't happen but you should be able to work out an exchange with a Sony Store near you. Just turn it on first.
Bro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote