Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
What form of 3G does the Sony Reader Daily Edition use?

What form of 3G does the Sony Reader Daily Edition use?
Does anyone know if the device will require jail-breaking to use outside of .us?
Obviously, accessing the Sony Store etc. won't be free outside .us however it'd be interesting to see if it can be used.
No Wi-Fi support?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Since it's AT&T it means it's GSM so should be usable outside... once we figure out how to make it work on other networks (and if there's a replaceable SIM card).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To the best of my knowledge, all GSM devices use a SIM card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Seeing as it's AT&T 3G it's HSDPA same as the majority of European carriers; and yes that means it will have SIM. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee interoperability because most US 3G is on 1900MHz while most European carriers use 2100MHz.

That may be the difference between US and other models.

(Disclaimer: I used to work on AT&T's international roaming desk.)
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
It should be noted I'm in Australia: will Australians be able to use this device?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To the best of my knowledge, all GSM devices use a SIM card.
I think we've had this discussion before. Of course the "sim" card can be designed to be integral to the circuit... it also could be internal and not exposed as a "slot" that allows the user to change it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think we've had this discussion before. Of course the "sim" card can be designed to be integral to the circuit... it also could be internal and not exposed as a "slot" that allows the user to change it.

BOb
I think it could be designed that way - but I don't think it would be approved by the GSM association. As I recall the separate SIM is a requirement.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
doesn't it have wi-fi support?

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
There has been zero mention of WiFi support. So, I am going to say Negative!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
No. It was not announced, and the pictures of the wireless switch only show on and off.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I think it could be designed that way - but I don't think it would be approved by the GSM association. As I recall the separate SIM is a requirement.
When I recently bought a dedicated Vodafone 3G USB modem for use with my PC, I was surprised to find that even that had a user-get-at-able SIM card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Seeing as it's AT&T 3G it's HSDPA same as the majority of European carriers; and yes that means it will have SIM. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee interoperability because most US 3G is on 1900MHz while most European carriers use 2100MHz.

That may be the difference between US and other models.

(Disclaimer: I used to work on AT&T's international roaming desk.)
I'm a little doubtful of sony manufacturing different models, especially with Quad band chips being available (Gobi!). The additional cost of those chips (if Much) would be covered by the savings in logistics, and flexibility afforded by doing a single international model .

What shall be interesting to see is if the Sony will be Sim Locked (Doubtful) or will just store the settings for their partners worldwide in the firmware (A La Apple) and not allow the user to modify them directly 9more Likely).

If its in the firmware, then someone will probably be able to hack it.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When I recently bought a dedicated Vodafone 3G USB modem for use with my PC, I was surprised to find that even that had a user-get-at-able SIM card.
That's a vodafone-branded version of a generic product so it would need a user-accessible sim, whereas the daily edition would only need to work with a single sim so potentially it could be hidden away inside the device. I guess it will come down to which they think would minimise support calls really.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I'm a little doubtful of sony manufacturing different models, especially with Quad band chips being available (Gobi!). The additional cost of those chips (if Much) would be covered by the savings in logistics, and flexibility afforded by doing a single international model .

What shall be interesting to see is if the Sony will be Sim Locked (Doubtful) or will just store the settings for their partners worldwide in the firmware (A La Apple) and not allow the user to modify them directly 9more Likely).

If its in the firmware, then someone will probably be able to hack it.
A single international model does make sense - but that doesn't mean Sony will do that. They could use a tri-band HSDPA chip, but they may stick with US frequencies for reasons we don't know yet.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Since att has announced they are moving all 3G to the 850Mhz spectrum they could easily do a 850/2100Mhz and cover most of the world.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote