Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #511
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Does that mean that this phone person has access to all my library accounts and my other residences? Are all Overdrive accounts linked? Does the phone person have access to all my reading no matter what account? Wow and I was worried about Google. Overdrive would probably be better at profiling me than Google. Bear in mind that I that I am not feeling well and watched “The Following” last night and am still in a state of terror. So feel free to make fun but please use a little restraint.
Is your second account apart of the same area? READS is like this. I have two cards, one of my town and one for the town next to me. They all use the same Overdrive site. If they checked they can see what I have checked out and help me when a book get stuck and refuses to remove itself. I love READS librarians they are very nice to deal with and I don't think it keeps track of what you have checked out in the past but they can see your bookshelf,Holds....etc.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #512
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Pretty sure no matter which libraries you use, you are always searching and checking out from the Overdrive site. Different window dressing form the referring libraries, but you aren't actually on your library's site any longer. I've gone to lapl's overdrive page directly when all of lapl has been down. So not too surprising they can link accts together by email or IP or adobe reader ID.

Not sure how libraries square this with ALA philophies about keeping lending histories private. Hopefully there is something in the contracts stipulating only records of current check outs be kept, but I kinda doubt it.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #513
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Is your second account apart of the same area? READS is like this. I have two cards, one of my town and one for the town next to me. They all use the same Overdrive site. If they checked they can see what I have checked out and help me when a book get stuck and refuses to remove itself. I love READS librarians they are very nice to deal with and I don't think it keeps track of what you have checked out in the past but they can see your bookshelf,Holds....etc.
The audio was on two different card numbers with two different email addresses. But they were on the same library system. But I also have an account in Manhattan when I stay there. That is not on the same library system. Do you think these are linked?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #514
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The audio was on two different card numbers with two different email addresses. But they were on the same library system. But I also have an account in Manhattan when I stay there. That is not on the same library system. Do you think these are linked?
No only the one with the two cards that use the same site is Linked. The Manhattan one uses a different site so they can't see anything. I am sure your mailing address is the same on both those cards? That how you are linked.

What each Library has is specific Librarians that can help you remove books that get stuck, fix broken links and general help with the site.

The other Card with Manhattan they would not be able to access. Overdrive could of course but they usually don't handle anything like that they will send you to your Local Library where the issue is.
and Adobe only handles ADE account issues like too many activations..error messages in ADE.

So I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't trust your local librarians.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #515
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Pretty sure no matter which libraries you use, you are always searching and checking out from the Overdrive site. Different window dressing form the referring libraries, but you aren't actually on your library's site any longer. I've gone to lapl's overdrive page directly when all of lapl has been down. So not too surprising they can link accts together by email or IP or adobe reader ID.

Not sure how libraries square this with ALA philophies about keeping lending histories private. Hopefully there is something in the contracts stipulating only records of current check outs be kept, but I kinda doubt it.
This was their email:

Thank you for contacting us, and we're sorry you're having trouble with "Xxxxxx." As we discussed on the phone, this title was the "2nd Epilogue" and not the full version of the book. We have returned the title from your account as you requested during the call.

Also as requested, below is a link to OverDrive's Privacy Policy. Please be assured that we do not monitor your activity.

- http://www.overdrive.com/privacypolicy.asp

Please let us know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

The answers to most issues are available on the digital media website for your library by clicking on Help. By using this resource you may be able to solve your issue prior to us responding to you.

To obtain a quicker response for any questions or issues you may have, please contact your library for direct support. A link for support can be found on the digital media website for your library by clicking on Help. If your library is not able to assist you, they will contact us directly.

So I guess direct phone help is not what they want anymore. Yet the last survey that they sent me had a question asking me to rate the different types of assistance that I preferred and one of the items was phone help.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #516
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This was their email:

So I guess direct phone help is not what they want anymore. Yet the last survey that they sent me had a question asking me to rate the different types of assistance that I preferred and one of the items was phone help.
It depends on the Library. Some have phone support but most Libraries use Email Support now.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #517
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
No only the one with the two cards that use the same site is Linked. The Manhattan one uses a different site so they can't see anything. I am sure your mailing address is the same on both those cards? That how you are linked.

What each Library has is specific Librarians that can help you remove books that get stuck, fix broken links and general help with the site.

The other Card with Manhattan they would not be able to access. Overdrive could of course but they usually don't handle anything like that they will send you to your Local Library where the issue is.
and Adobe only handles ADE account issues like too many activations..error messages in ADE.

So I wouldn't worry about it unless you don't trust your local librarians.
Thank you Blossom. Actually I do trust my library. What concerned me today was that when he asked for my card number and email address, did both accounts come up on his screen or did he take it upon himself to look further. I was a little testy when I said to him finally "Are you you going to help me, yes or no?" But 15 minutes was wasted with him telling me all the ways that I should go about getting help other than him who was on the phone already.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #518
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
[QUOTE=xendula;2421450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post

Oh noooo! I'm afraid to even look!
I'm still getting the old mobile site on my Sony reader. fingers crossed it stays that way
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #519
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thank you Blossom. Actually I do trust my library. What concerned me today was that when he asked for my card number and email address, did both accounts come up on his screen or did he take it upon himself to look further. I was a little testy when I said to him finally "Are you you going to help me, yes or no?" But 15 minutes was wasted with him telling me all the ways that I should go about getting help other than him who was on the phone already.
More then likely it's your mailing address that linked the accounts together. READS doesn't have a local librarian. It's a state run program and they have one Librarian to handle each region is my guess. One time she apologized for being on vacation and not getting back to me sooner. I realized then support was only one person who is really nice to deal with but I imagine she stays busy.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #520
Venus
Country girl

Quote:
More then likely it's your mailing address that linked the accounts together. READS doesn't have a local librarian. It's a state run program and they have one Librarian to handle each region is my guess. One time she apologized for being on vacation and not getting back to me sooner. I realized then support was only one person who is really nice to deal with but I imagine she stays busy.
I think you are right. My library has the most wonderful staff and they always tell me to go to the reference desk if it is an ebook question. The reference desk always tell me to contact Overdrive. My Library is very busy. Loads of programs, tutoring and tons of offerings for children. They are extremely helpful on all issues that aren't downloadable.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #521
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
[QUOTE=4691mls;2421872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post

I'm still getting the old mobile site on my Sony reader. fingers crossed it stays that way
Out of my four libraries, now Fairfax has gone downhill. I am so mad they took away the mobile accessible site! For a while, I really thought they'd leave the mobile sites as they were.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #522
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Out of my four libraries, now Fairfax has gone downhill. I am so mad they took away the mobile accessible site! For a while, I really thought they'd leave the mobile sites as they were.
Really? It was obvious to me when I first looked at the new interface that it was specifically designed to handle tablets and mobile devices.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #523
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Really? It was obvious to me when I first looked at the new interface that it was specifically designed to handle tablets and mobile devices.
Well, the one time I accidentally got onto the full site on my Sony reader, I could not even log in. And as others have posted, how could you hover? so I hope they will keep a classic version of the mobile site.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #524
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
*shudder* I have new appreciation for Overdrive's website after trying Freading's. I tried it once before and gave up, I should have stopped while I was ahead.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #525
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does one make a full overdrive site into a mobile site via the URL?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote