Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #466
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, indeed you did. I never said that the judge was wrong to dismiss the appeal from Samsung for a mistrial, I said that the jury lead appeared arrogant to me and that it was wrong of him to give false information to the jury regarding prior art.
Look up sarcasm sometime and get off your high horse and read your own posts as written rather than as re-written in your mind... I read what you post and comment accordingly...
You could also try to actually quote what people say when replying rather than using the publishers "selective review technique" to apparently bolster what your saying by using around 5% of a post... especially when the quote was clearly sarcastic...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #467
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Look up sarcasm sometime and get off your high horse and read your own posts as written rather than as re-written in your mind... I read what you post and comment accordingly...
You could also try to actually quote what people say when replying rather than using the publishers "selective review technique" to apparently bolster what your saying by using around 5% of a post... especially when the quote was clearly sarcastic...
Looks like I hit a nerve

Let me dissect it for you.

Quote:
Exactly. [1]He strikes me as a very arrogant person, presuming to know the law better than lawyers/judges, and assuming the role of leader in deliberations, [2]misleading the jury into thinking that prior art didn't apply because [3] "it does not run on the same hardware". [4]I do not presume to know whether this is basis for mistrial, [5]but it's certainly wrong.
[1]: I think the jury foreman is arrogant
[2]: he misled the jury with wrong information regarding prior art
[3]: I detail how he misled the jury
[4]: IANAL
[5]: misleading the jury is wrong (feel free disagree)

As you can see, I never said, or hinted, that the judge decision to deny mistrial was wrong.

Last edited by afv011; 12-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #468
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Looks like I hit a nerve

Let me dissect it for you.

[1]: I think the jury foreman is arrogant
[2]: he misled the jury with wrong information regarding prior art
[3]: I detail how he misled the jury
[4]: IANAL
[5]: misleading the jury is wrong (feel free disagree)

As you can see, I never said, or hinted, that the judge decision to deny mistrial was wrong.
Actually you did strike a nerve... you came across as an arrogant person who believes his interpretations of messily reported events should be better than those of a duly appointed judge... not being familiar with every acronym used by people who assume that the world knows 'em all, was disappointed to find out what it actually meant... and now I have to discontinue before someone does something here that we are not allowed to discuss...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #469
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Despite PatNY's laughable hope that the US verdict would be overturned, Apple will get its $1Bn, give or take.
Well, the USPTO has invalidated Apple's "pinch to zoom" patent

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...418492784.html

and the same for "bounce back"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20040549

That has got to remove a big chunk from the $1B
Old 12-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #470
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

As good as these news are, the patents have been "tentatively invalidated", so they're not invalid, yet. But it's good to see some common sense in the USPTO, for a change.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #471
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This is rather disconcerting as it puts a serious damper on my plans to trademark the color "Black".
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #472
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
This is rather disconcerting as it puts a serious damper on my plans to trademark the color "Black".
You are already putting yourself in serious jeopardy for charges as Apple has patents on black and white already.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #473
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
your ornament avatar could violate Apple apple art trademark

Last edited by forsooth; 12-20-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #474
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
your ornament avatar could violate Apple apple art trademark
well jingle my bells will ya!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #475
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Despite PatNY's laughable hope that the US verdict would be overturned, Apple will get its $1Bn, give or take.
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there boy ...

It ain't over till it's over, especially in the civil courts when deep pockets are involved.

If you go back to my original statements, I presented a wide variety of potential reasons for the verdict to be overturned or drastically reduced. Since you can't recall them so well, let me enumerate them once again:

1) The trial judge could overturn the verdict based on the misconduct of the jury foreman

2) The trial judge could reduce the verdict based on jury errors

3) The case could be overturned at the appeals court level.

4) The case could go to the Supreme Court if Samsung is not successful at the appeals court.

In addition, I would think the recent invalidation of a couple of key Apple patents may ultimately put a serious crimp in the verdict if they are not reinstated.

Plus there may be other ways Samsung lawyers are attempting to have the verdict overturned/decreased.

So far only #1 has failed ... there is still a long long long way to go. Samsung may yet have the last laugh!

--Pat
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #476
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
... there is still a long long long way to go. Samsung may yet have the last laugh!

--Pat
I don't think that, regardless of the final outcome, whichever party "wins" is going to be in a laughing mood. These kinds of deathmatches aren't good for either party.

And the most likely outcome isn't on your list: sooner or later, they will (likely) settle the case. Out of sheer exhaustion. Or the need to deal with a whole 'nother war:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...t-case-report/

Quote:

The European Union is expected to file an antitrust case against Samsung very soon.

According to Reuters, which spoke with the European Union's European Commission competition chief Joaquin Almunia, his office will "issue a statement of objections very soon" against Samsung. Almunia didn't say what would be included in those objections, but the move follows a year-long investigation into Samsung's patent practices.
Make enough noise and soon enough, the *real* predators take note of you...

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-20-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #477
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but was the list made BJ or AJ?

(Before Jobs, After Jobs )
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #478
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yup. The patent wars are over. Samsung already won, for what it's worth.

PatNY is like one of those Japanese soldiers marooned on an island, thinking he's still fighting for the Emperor thirty years after the war.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #479
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

From PC Mag today:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413450,00.asp
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #480
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
PatNY is like one of those Japanese soldiers marooned on an island, thinking he's still fighting for the Emperor thirty years after the war.
Ahhh, but in this case "Japan" has won the war, even if they might eventually lose the court battle.

--Pat
Closed Thread