Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
ADE Help

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question. Please let me know if it should be somewhere else.

I have ADE. It is a pain and I hate it. Although, it occurred to me I have no idea what version I have and if I ever did an update. I can't figure out what version I have. I can't even figure out how to delete things I no longer want.

I only use ADE when I purchase Adobe DRM books. I open the books in ADE. THen I open calibre. I input the digital editions file in calibre and it opens without the DRM. I don't use ADE for anything else. Well--library books, but I haven't borrowed a book in over a year.

I downloaded 4.03 Adobe digital editions and the installer. Do I just run it? DO I need to uninstall my current ADE? Will I lose all my digital editions files or does it copy it over or just leave it alone? (I don't really care as all my books live in calibre, but if I'm going to lose it all, I would do a quick check to make sure I didn't forget to transfer any books over).

Thanks for your help
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Updating is bad. The old, 2.0 version works fine (for that matter, so does 1.7).

The only thing ADE 4.03 will add for you is the "ability" to support the new-style DRM that cannot be DeDRMed.
And improved support for reading books, e.g. EPUB3 -- which is irrelevant for you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Updating is bad. The old, 2.0 version works fine (for that matter, so does 1.7).

The only thing ADE 4.03 will add for you is the "ability" to support the new-style DRM that cannot be DeDRMed.
And improved support for reading books, e.g. EPUB3 -- which is irrelevant for you.
I'm glad I asked then. And, thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

1.72 does NOT work fine. You need the latest version 2.01 in order to be able to download ePub from Google Play Books. I can see that happening elsewhere as other vendors update the version of the content server they run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1.72 does NOT work fine. You need the latest version 2.01 in order to be able to download ePub from Google Play Books. I can see that happening elsewhere as other vendors update the version of the content server they run.
Really? I didn't know that...
Sigh.
Here's to hoping WINE resolves the unreliability/failure of certain dotNET apps quickly, then.
Advert
Old 09-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
AnitainTN
Member, Nooks Anonymous
AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.AnitainTN trips the light fantastic.

Device: SGTS2-8, Nook Color
Quote:
How do you tell which version of 2.01 is which? Where is a good place to find the right version?
AnitainTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can download 2.01 from Adobe's website here...
http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...downloads.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Really? I didn't know that...
Sigh.
Here's to hoping WINE resolves the unreliability/failure of certain dotNET apps quickly, then.
ADE 2.01 in wine 1.7.5 I have not tested it.

ADE 3 in wine 1.6.1 I have not tested it.

ADE 4 in wine 1.7.39 I have not tested it.

When ADE 1.72 quits working with Kobo then I may upgrade.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
1.72 does NOT work fine. You need the latest version 2.01 in order to be able to download ePub from Google Play Books.
Good to know, thanks - I'll avoid Google Play.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
ADE 2.01 in wine 1.7.5 I have not tested it.

ADE 3 in wine 1.6.1 I have not tested it.

ADE 4 in wine 1.7.39 I have not tested it.

When ADE 1.72 quits working with Kobo then I may upgrade.

bernie
DO NOT USE ADE 3 OR 4 or you could someday be stuck with the new DRm.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Good to know, thanks - I'll avoid Google Play.
Doing so means you do avoid some prices comparable to Amazon.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Doing so means you do avoid some prices comparable to Amazon.
I know how to shop around, and have no problem buying from Amazon if it's the cheapest.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Susan A
Groupie

How do I figure out what version of ADE I have?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
How do I figure out what version of ADE I have?
Do you have a windows version? In windows every application that I have ever encountered has the version displayed under the help menu by tapping help and then the "about" choice. ADE is no different.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Do you have a windows version? In windows every application that I have ever encountered has the version displayed under the help menu by tapping help and then the "about" choice. ADE is no different.

Dale
Yes it is different.
Take a look at ADE 1.7

If/when you find an About menu, that will usually have the version info.
Occasionally, that can be... hard. Finding it, that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ade-1.7-about.png
Views:	384
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	142289