Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
gregor40
gregor40 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60
Diacritics problem with calibre

Hi,

I have recently (yesterday) bought an ebook reader and I immediatly found the wonderfull "Calibre" software.

I have, however, some problems with epub format and Polish special signs like ą, ę, ż and so on.

1) When I convert a PDF to EPUB I get all special signs correct, apart from "ż" which is displayed both on the PC and on the reader as "Ŝ"

2) When I use the brilliant and a must-have functionality of news fetch i get an epub which displays correctly on my PC, but I get '?' instead of special signs on the reader.

Is there any way to get past those problems?

Thanks,

M.
gregor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I made a simple PDF and did a quick and dirty conversion to epub, using Calibre. And it came out just fine.

Quote:
Diacritics problem with calibre

Hi,

I have recently (yesterday) bought an ebook reader and I immediatly found the wonderfull "Calibre" software.

I have, however, some problems with epub format and Polish special signs like ą, ę, ż and so on.

1) When I convert a PDF to EPUB I get all special signs correct, apart from "ż" which is displayed both on the PC and on the reader as "Ŝ"

2) When I use the brilliant and a must-have functionality of news fetch i get an epub which displays correctly on my PC, but I get '?' instead of special signs on the reader.

Is there any way to get past those problems?

Thanks,

M.
It could be a problem with the original PDF. Try the one I enclosed here. (Made using OpenOffice.)

I suspect that 2. is a problem with the font in your reader. Try to update the software in the reader and/or use a custom font that include the characters that don't display now. On my reader, an Opus, the characters display fine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (30.1 KB, 276 views)
File Type: epub test.epub (2.4 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by Adoby; 07-27-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
gregor40
gregor40 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox 60
Thanks for your answer!

Indeed, your pdf converted correctly. I will try to correct the pdf's than

The second issue remains - why the pubs created from the news sources do not have diacritics?
gregor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Post one here. So can I check if they display OK on my device. Then it is most likely a problem with the font in your device. Should be easy to add a custom font.

Or even simpler: Just check the epub above in your reader. Can you read all chars? If you can't then it is a problem with your device.

A custom font that include diacritics should do it.

Ask on the Onyx forum how to add a custum font, if it's not in the manual.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220

Last edited by Adoby; 07-27-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
brombus
Enthusiast
brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.brombus knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
If you read Polish you can check these websites:

http://forum.eksiazki.org/epub-f157/...505-t8395.html
http://forum.eksiazki.org/epub-f157/...oku-t8757.html
http://www.epub.republika.pl/epub.htm
brombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
xenonn
xenonn began at the beginning.

Device: DX Graphite
Exclamation

I am using Calibre to convert pdf to mobi
and I'm getting an issue described in
1)
of #1 in this thread.
Curiously enough calibre converted pdf files originally made
with Adobe Distiller don't have this issue,
i.e. any act available on http://isip.sejm.gov.pl/.

In my pdf library most of the files were made with PDFCreator.
After being converted in Calibre they all experience the aforementioned issue.

Did anyone come up with a workaround?
xenonn is offline   Reply With Quote