Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #91
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Margin settings for RTF files... I'd like to be able to choose whether the text is left justified or full justified (spacing adjusted to have consistent right and left margins).

As far as I can tell, rtf text always comes out left justified right now. But it's just not as nice looking as it would be if it was full justified like the store books or paper books are.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #92
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My RTF files are justified, if I set the file to be justified ... I think, anyway ... yeah I just checked, I've got an RTF that's showing fully justified.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #93
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Author alphabetization by last name instead of first would be nice. Not a big deal for small collections, but as we get more books on there...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #94
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use the Collections feature to group your books in any way you like ... but it doesn't presently work on memory cards.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:25 AM   #95
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
My RTF files are justified, if I set the file to be justified ... I think, anyway ... yeah I just checked, I've got an RTF that's showing fully justified.
Thanks Nathan! Sure enough, RTF includes that in the formatting. Good deal!
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #96
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Add to the "Utilities" on every book a "Delete this book" and "Screen Orientation" functions.

Already added to Wiki
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #97
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
May I add Connect for Mac OS? Please? It's somewhat painful on parallels.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, it's "somewhat painful" on WinXP, jmdor.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #99
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

get rid of the POS connect software

instead of a software update, how about a decent library manager?
I knew there would be trouble with kinomo (or however it is spelled) who killed off the Sony music service. From the amount of hangs, inability for the library to hold a decent amount of books without hanging, etc. I am just so fustrated with the POS connect software. A repeat of how they killed off HiMD.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:08 AM   #100
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Just to be fair: Kinoma didn't work on Sony's SonicStage software.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #101
exvaxman
Connoisseur

kinoma/sonicstage/incredibly lousy Sony software

My understanding was that they did - and was the reason for the c**p that came out.

http://news.com.com/How+Sony+failed+...3-6078659.html
Old 11-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #102
exvaxman
Connoisseur

replying to myself - sorry

didn't read the prior message where Sonicstage was mentioned. Yes, kinoma had nothing to do with the earlier versions - the ones that actually worked for me. Kind of clunky, but not the POS that was released as the last version that they did have a hand in.

The last version was so awful and I was told that they were the reason for it from a Sony exec that was sitting next to me on a plane. He asked me about the minidisc player that I had (newer model HiMD) and while I was praising the good features (incredible battery life, 40 hours per disk, didn't worry about getting stuck somewhere without a recharger because it took 'AA' cells, etc. But his face just fell and he fess'd up to the software shortcomings when I started sayign what was wrong with the thing.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #103
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Pixel fixes and Partial Page Turns

Here are a couple more features I'd love to see on the Reader:

1) Fix reversed pixels

I'd like to be able to fix a reversed pixel by navigating to it with the joystick and then confirming a reversal. It would have to require some kind of utility code to keep the average user from it, but it would be a natural way to fix a screen.

--> The issue is something that someone posted about before on the iRex forums, and that I have on my Sony Reader screen. A single pixel is reversed. It's not stuck because it's clearly black when it should be white and it's white when it should be black. It's so tiny it doesn't ruin the experience completely, and at times can't even be noticed. But it often feels like there's a speck of dirt on the screen so it's a bit of a bother. I haven't gotten around to contacting Sony support yet, but will see if there's anything that they can do.

2) Partial page turns (line by line)

Have you ever had a title or heading or new paragraph in the middle of a page? It's a natural stopping point or the first part of a new section of a book. I'd love to be able to push the screen up by a half-line or by a line at a time, so I can choose which line ends up on the top of the page. Especially for text I want to pick up on again later. Just aesthetics, but it would be nice to be able to scroll to make a page start where I want it to.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #104
NatCh
Gizmologist

Tsk, tsk. You can't do '2)' with a book, Bob!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #105
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Well, neither can you resize and reflow text on a paper book, but it's great to have available on the Sony Reader! ;-)

But I agree with what I take away from your comment... simplicity is paramount, and all of our wishlist items need to be balanced out with whether or not they take away from the simplicity and effectiveness of the book paradigm.

That's why they pay the Sony folks the big bucks -- they have to make those tough choices and live under real product design constraints. As a consumer, I don't have to be practical, and have the freedom to give them long lists of wistful ideas!