Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
JohnDoe
JohnDoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Calibre: excellent program, but...

I recently started making some order in the mass (and mess) of my e-books (mainly stuff from Project Gutenberg and similar, downloaded over the years since the early 90s - OK, that shows my age )

So I did a little bit of research and tried basically every imaginable e-book manager out there (at least, the ones I managed to find - ebooks are not exactly mainstream yet).

Most of them were rather disappointing, until I stumbled upon Calibre.

Free, very complete, manages format conversions, works with Sony e-readers (I'm gonna receive a Sony PRS-505 next week)... it's definitely an excellent program!

My only gripe is with its user interface...

While from a "functional" standpoint it's workable, it's severely lacking in the "wow" department - it simply doesn't have the level of polish we're used to these days.

My wet dream would be an iTunes-like GUI for Calibre... that would be awesome!

But even without going so far, I think at least having the book covers displayed in a "virtual bookshelf" (like Mobipocket Reader or Sony eBook Library) would go a long way towards both pleasing the eye and furthering the diffusion of this wonderful program...
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
John, Calibre is indeed an excellent program and I disagree about the UI. It doesn't need much of anything. It is clear, mostly intuitive and very usable. The only addition I can think of that might be useful is some way of managing folders, but that is more a function of the E-Reader and difficult to do in a generic way I suspect.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I agree, mostly, with Kenny, there is not much wrong with the gui. The only option I can think of, that is missing, is the ability to remove icons, it is possible to make them smaller but personally I hate icons and would like the option of removing them.

This program seems perfect for my purposes apart from the importing of books with different meta tag formats, I have 12,000 books and I need to check them all to get at least the titles and authors consistent. The gui is perfect for this.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
But even without going so far, I think at least having the book covers displayed in a "virtual bookshelf" (like Mobipocket Reader or Sony eBook Library) would go a long way towards both pleasing the eye and furthering the diffusion of this wonderful program...
You mean in addition to the Coverflow mode that is already there? How do you see it being different? I find the Coverflow mode much less efficient to navigate (although it is pretty).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
JohnDoe

Nah, Coverflow is just eye candy - very very pretty but not so efficient to use and next to impossible to navigate.

I thought something like this mockup I created with Photoshop and I'm attaching - clean, "iTunish", nice to look at

Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would have thought something like that becomes unmanageable as soon as you get a lot of books in your library (I have around 7500). I switch my iTunes library to list mode just for that reason and I only have a few hundred albums in that.

Last edited by itimpi; 09-19-2009 at 10:28 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A grid view of covers is on the TODO list.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
JohnDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
A grid view of covers is on the TODO list.
Cool!!!

Man, you just made my day!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
demongr
demongr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Is there anyway of listing books in the library in order by author rather then by title.
demongr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by demongr View Post
Is there anyway of listing books in the library in order by author rather then by title.

If you click the header of the column it will re-sort
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Just to chime in, I think the current GUI is fine. I actually dislike lots of eye candy because it just gets in the way. I don't like iTune's interface, it's too busy. I like the simple interface Calibre has because it lets me do what I want quickly.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote