Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I'll just see what it's like whenever it's out and then decide whether I want it or not.
Of course if the rumours say that they will bundle a unicorn with it then I'll get it straightaway

Last edited by Yolina; 11-26-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Of course if the rumours say that they will bundle a unicorn with it then I'll get it straightaway
Unicorns...a dime a dozen. You can find them all over the net. :-)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Glass fronts - and denizens of people moaning about reflections...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Glass fronts - and denizens of people moaning about reflections...
If the glass has a matte finish, I could see it working. I use matte finish screen protectors on my GS3 and Nexus 7 and they work pretty well. I do give up some of the clarity that comes with matte another layer but I'm okay with it. I think for an e-ink screen, it probably look the same as the plastic outer screens we currently have.

I hope Amazon has the reflection angle covered, since that is a big feature promoted in its commercials and ads.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well - if it comes, I'll give it a good look I think. I'm still on PW1 and have no real intention of budging at this stage, but some of those rumoured features sound nice to me. The squeezable page turns sound pretty compelling - of course they could also be a disaster.

I don't know if I like anything trying to automatically adjust brightness to ambient light conditions. I'd rather make those decisions myself. As long as there's a manual override I'd be happy.

I wonder what the new font is going to look like?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #36
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The squeezable page turns sound pretty compelling - of course they could also be a disaster.
I completely missed that earlier. Sounds like it's my next kindle.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Oooo-eerrrr

A PW2 had been put on my Santa list an hour ago. Actually that and a cover for it was my list!
As a Kobo defector I was really excited to wave goodbye to my buggy KT and the foul Kobo website but I'm going to be really frustrated if a new design appears in a few months. Ho Hum Santa, do you work in the Spring?
Here's the question I came here to (this post isn't completely pointless!) does the PW change orientation?
Thank you.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why are you going to be frustrated? If the PW2 meets your requirements, get it. It won't suddenly do less if a new model is released.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

There is a landscape mode on PW!. It does not auto-rotate though, you must select it from the menu. I don't know about PW2.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #40
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks Harry. You are right of course...but! This kind of purchase doesn't happen often and although I admire those that grab the new technology as it arrives personally I couldn't deal with the guilt! Small changes don't bother me but radical ones do.
@Daffy, thanks �� I can't see why the PW2 wouldn't be the same. Changing in settings is fine. The option makes a difference to which case I buy.
Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #41
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would like to think that glass would scatter less light than the plastic light guide layer does now, and preserve more of the contrast/sharpness and have less susceptibility to uneven lighting.
Decades ago I saw some numbers comparing light transmission of glass and plexiglass, which is, of course, plastic. Plexiglass transmitted 90 times as much light as glass.

I probably saw that sometime around 1970 so maybe it's no longer true with modern glass. And it might not apply to plastic coatings on Kindle screens. I have no idea. But I wouldn't assume that glass was better with light than plastic. It might not be.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #42
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There is a landscape mode on PW!. It does not auto-rotate though, you must select it from the menu. I don't know about PW2.
I can confirm that it's the same for KPW2.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #43
Orn8one
Groupie

Good news! Thanks Dorale.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #44
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Amazon just having a big sale on the Kindle DX, which was a surprise since I didn't think they were still selling them. Perhaps a replacement high-resolution e-ink kindle is coming soon. I hope the next e-ink Kindle surpasses the DX in resolution. I would love to see retina-level resolutions so the Kindle can display any PDF or graphic in full. But something tells me that as the resolution increases, Amazon will decrease the on-board storage just to annoy us.

Last edited by badbob001; 12-02-2013 at 02:10 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forget it. The current DX sale is just selling off old stock. The Fire is Amazon's replacement for the DX.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite