Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
The very idea of working in plain text sends shivers up my spine.
Yeah. I don't think I could do that.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We use Smashwords to get our titles to Sony, Apple, Kobo and a few other outlets, mostly those that require the publisher to buy an ISBN number. They've been very helpful to us (Smashwords) and have worked with us when there are problems - the only downside I see is that they use that "Meatgrinder" and - honestly- our own ePubs and other formats come out much more elegant and error free. I'm a supporter, nonetheless.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Niall.Wils View Post
We use Smashwords to get our titles to Sony, Apple, Kobo and a few other outlets, mostly those that require the publisher to buy an ISBN number. They've been very helpful to us (Smashwords) and have worked with us when there are problems - the only downside I see is that they use that "Meatgrinder" and - honestly- our own ePubs and other formats come out much more elegant and error free. I'm a supporter, nonetheless.
What I think would be a very good idea is at the beginning & end of every eBook posted to Smashwords, put in the following....

Please let the people in charge of Smashwords know that we (authors and readers) would prefer to have direct ePub uploading instead of the meatgrinder. This would allow us (authors) to create better looking ePub that work better on a wider variety of ePub capable devices/apps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #34
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I think would be a very good idea is at the beginning & end of every eBook posted to Smashwords, put in the following....

Please let the people in charge of Smashwords know that we (authors and readers) would prefer to have direct ePub uploading instead of the meatgrinder. This would allow us (authors) to create better looking ePub that work better on a wider variety of ePub capable devices/apps.
So what is it they do to epubs that mess them up. I presumed that once you had edited your epub to your liking, that would be it, no more need to mess with it.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
So what is it they do to epubs that mess them up. I presumed that once you had edited your epub to your liking, that would be it, no more need to mess with it.
Word tends to put in all kinds of garbage that stays with the conversion to ePub. You can get issues where you cannot change the font, cannot change the colors, cannot change the font size, and others. Also, you can't really use any of the advanced features of ePub. Plus, if you want to tweak something to change how it looks, you have to do so via Word even if it's something very simple. I've read a lot of posts on MR about errors in meatground eBooks that would have been easy enough to fix if it was the ePub getting edited. But it's Word you have to deal with.

If the ePub was able to be directly uploaded, we'd have better eBooks. Authors would either learn to do it themselves or be able to get help from someone who does know XML/CSS. Sigil would be the tool of choice instead of having Word forced on the authors.

Overall, its a nightmare vs being able to directly upload the ePub.
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Lets keep this in perspective

The vast majority of books on Smash work fin in every reader I have tried them on, and absolutely everyone I know (in person) that shops smashwords says the same. JSWolf likes to EDIT the epubs to make changes, and he has problems when he does that with smashwords files. He is a different level of user with higher level of demands then the mass market.

Would not mind uploading my own EPUB, but all the Smashwords books work fine in normal use.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Lets keep this in perspective

The vast majority of books on Smash work fin in every reader I have tried them on, and absolutely everyone I know (in person) that shops smashwords says the same. JSWolf likes to EDIT the epubs to make changes, and he has problems when he does that with smashwords files. He is a different level of user with higher level of demands then the mass market.

Would not mind uploading my own EPUB, but all the Smashwords books work fine in normal use.
The issues I've mentioned are true. I've seen the code that prevents these things from working. Sure, if you load the ePub and don't do anything to it other then read, it might look OK. But some readers support changing settings and that's where things can fall apart.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #38
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The issues I've mentioned are true. I've seen the code that prevents these things from working. Sure, if you load the ePub and don't do anything to it other then read, it might look OK. But some readers support changing settings and that's where things can fall apart.
Not saying they are not true, nor discounting your statements, just that your demands are higher the the mass market. For example, I am reading a book from smashwords right now on my Nook Color. I can via the reader make all the reader supported changes, such as font, color, night mode, etc and they all work fine.

I have no doubt that the code itself is bad since its based on Word and I know first hand how bad its HTML output is.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #39
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Word tends to put in all kinds of garbage that stays with the conversion to ePub. You can get issues where you cannot change the font, cannot change the colors, cannot change the font size, and others. Also, you can't really use any of the advanced features of ePub. Plus, if you want to tweak something to change how it looks, you have to do so via Word even if it's something very simple. I've read a lot of posts on MR about errors in meatground eBooks that would have been easy enough to fix if it was the ePub getting edited. But it's Word you have to deal with.
So if Word, OO, and LO are so bad, why don't you just write your own word processor that can produce a stripped-down .doc instead of using the ones produced by mainstream word processors? Or try some of the more simplistic alternative word processors like AbiWord?

Or start your own business website for people who want to upload their pre-compiled epubs?

Elfwreck- I don't quite follow what you mean by "tagging."
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #40
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If the ePub was able to be directly uploaded, we'd have better eBooks. Authors would either learn to do it themselves or be able to get help from someone who does know XML/CSS. Sigil would be the tool of choice instead of having Word forced on the authors.

Overall, its a nightmare vs being able to directly upload the ePub.
I wonder why Smash only accepts word docs, even Calibre won't convert from them.

Does anyone know the thinking behind why they won't let you upload an epub directly? Surely it would be easier for them too.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #41
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

I've just had a look at the Smashwords blog as I've always believed it is a good idea to have a little bit of knowledge on the subject you're talking about. I don't think you can easily spew out multiple formats and expect them ALL to be formatted correctly, although many have said that it does. I guess it's like one of those translation programs. You put in a a phrase in English and what comes out looks good, but is actually not what you wanted to say at all and sometimes it's crap.

All of that aside, it is obviously a difficult problem for many authors and therefore Smashwords should listen to your complaints and try to do something about it. After all without you they wouldn't have a business right?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #42
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
All of that aside, it is obviously a difficult problem for many authors and therefore Smashwords should listen to your complaints and try to do something about it. After all without you they wouldn't have a business right?
That is just it... it is NOT a problem for most. For most authors it works fine. They put out tons of files all the time. Authors on this forum alone have likely pushed more then several 100,000(1) ebooks through Smash.... and it works fine.

If not they would not be in business, never mind the defacto independent author publisher with contracts to companies like Apple, B&N, etc. The proof is in their success so far.

----
(1) Totally made up statistic
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So if Word, OO, and LO are so bad, why don't you just write your own word processor that can produce a stripped-down .doc instead of using the ones produced by mainstream word processors? Or try some of the more simplistic alternative word processors like AbiWord?

Or start your own business website for people who want to upload their pre-compiled epubs?

Word is good at what it does. It was never intended as a front-end for making eBooks. It doesn't produce clean code. But that doesn't matter when your end result is to be printed on paper.

Lots of authors/readers have been asking Smashwords to allow direct ePub uploading only to fall on deaf ears.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #44
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
[QUOTE=Justin Nemo;2015836]I wonder why Smash only accepts word docs, even Calibre won't convert from them.
Quote:
Word is good at what it does. It was never intended as a front-end for making eBooks. It doesn't produce clean code. But that doesn't matter when your end result is to be printed on paper.
From my reading of the style guide, I got the feeling that the meatgrinder is a text extractor paired with a style sheet parser. That would explain why pics embedded thru OO/LO have to be "anchored as character" and formatting applied thru any means other than the style sheet is automatically discarded. Doesn't take that good of a programmer to write such a piece of software.

Quote:
Does anyone know the thinking behind why they won't let you upload an epub directly? Surely it would be easier for them too.
Quote:
Lots of authors/readers have been asking Smashwords to allow direct ePub uploading only to fall on deaf ears.
"Least common denominator" comes to mind. MS has foisted Word into a bajillion computers and both OO and LO have reliable export filters to the Word .doc format.

I also noticed some complaints on the smashwords website about people uploading epubs and being extremely inconsistent or uploading code that just flat didn't work. And then there's also the possibility of people uploading crafted epubs designed to exploit weaknesses in specific readers and cause crashes or worse. Imagine downloading an epub which had been made to crash Nooks, but not Kindles?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #45
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post

Text with HTML or other tagged markup. I write with sections marked for <em>italics</em> or <b>bold</b> or
<center><b>centered bold text</b></center>
Because most of what I write is going on either Dreamwidth or AO3, and the WYSIWYG editors drive me buggy.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote