Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
This program does require root, but doesn't require you doing anything other than running it, greatly reducing the risk of bricking your device in the process.
Thanks for clarifying! Great tool even if root is needed...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Used the tool, worked great. My only complaint would be that it was unclear if or if not it was doing anything after I told it to install the google framework. I thought it was frozen, but then it came up saying the install was successful. Maybe you should add a note that says to press the button then wait, or maybe some sort of dialog or window could appear?
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRisk View Post
Used the tool, worked great. My only complaint would be that it was unclear if or if not it was doing anything after I told it to install the google framework. I thought it was frozen, but then it came up saying the install was successful. Maybe you should add a note that says to press the button then wait, or maybe some sort of dialog or window could appear?
I'm going to try and add a spinner to the next version, not sure how long the update will take! In the meantime just be patient when running the program Do you remember about how long it took on your device?
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

It didn't take that long as far as I remember, but long enough to make me think maybe it had frozen because I couldn't tell it was doing anything. So maybe about a minute?
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
jump4jay
jump4jay began at the beginning.

Fantastic!

As NDRisk pointed out, I too thought it had froze during the install. It took about a minute or so, but worked just fine. After rebooting and attempting to set up my Google account it had some trouble "communication with Google servers". I had to try 4-5 times before it worked (may or may not have been my works' wifi, it can be wonky -but the browser was working).

In the end, all is well and it worked out great.

Thank you Sir.
jump4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4jay View Post
Fantastic!

As NDRisk pointed out, I too thought it had froze during the install. It took about a minute or so, but worked just fine. After rebooting and attempting to set up my Google account it had some trouble "communication with Google servers". I had to try 4-5 times before it worked (may or may not have been my works' wifi, it can be wonky -but the browser was working).

In the end, all is well and it worked out great.

Thank you Sir.
Awesome! I'm in the process of making a 1.1 version to make it look nicer and give an indicator that it's actually working. I'm also considering to reboot automatically after installation and removal (esp after removal since a lot of errors get thrown before the reboot). Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
jump4jay

Auto-reboot would be nice because some folks don't read thoroughly and might not notice that they're supposed to reboot. I had read this thread ahead of installing so I knew that it would take a while before knowing it would install, but I think a simple popup of sorts -or something to bring the user's attention to some information text- would be ideal (like the red text you already use), just to simply explain what's going to happen (eg installation will take about a minute and your device will reboot automatically).

It really doesn't need to be anything fancy, even aesthetically I wouldn't worry too much about it. Personally I think it's refreshing to have an app that just works, it serves its purpose and you're done. It's a great app that really will only be used once, maybe twice if people choose/need to uninstall, so putting in lots of time to make it look pretty might be a waste of your valuable time.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could someone who has done this try something in the Calendar application.

My wife has a Vox and for some time we have had multiple Google Calendars setup which we share.

When I tried to setup the Exchange configuration for her calendar on the stock Vox, I only saw HER calendar; others that she is subscribed too did not show up.

Is this the same after installing the GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
jump4jay

PeterT, not sure. When I tried setting up Exchange the Vox kept telling me that security settings needed updating, but left me with no options or information on how to do so. Once I figure that out I'll report back.

But it's possible that, by default, Exchange only shows the default calendar. Are others set up to share? Or are these multiple calendars in Google Calendar you're referring to? I think I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're trying to do.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
mollyvox
mollyvox began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I downloaded the program and installed it. I did the "Install google framework" and it took about 5 seconds, then I rebooted like required. Now what? There's nothing new and when I open OogleVox again it's the same as when I first opened it saying it has not performed any modification.
So... what have I buggered up?
mollyvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Your vox needs to be rooted first. Was it?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
mollyvox

My bad. I thought the app rooted the device as well. I'll root it and give it another try.

Proof that I need to stop skimming threads :P
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyvox View Post
My bad. I thought the app rooted the device as well. I'll root it and give it another try.

Proof that I need to stop skimming threads :P
Hi Molly,

I've just updated the version, and the introduction thread, so you should just be able to skim this one next time. I've also made it Molly-proof, in the case that you aren't rooted, you won't actually be able to install OogleVox and it'll give you a message

All, I've also added a couple of new features to OogleVox. If you have the OogleVox icon still installed, you need to remove it manually before installing the new version. Please check the release notes on the first page of the thread or more details. It has been tested against the March 2, 2012 firmware update and it is working. Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #29
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Cool, worked like a charm after finally figuring out the re-rooting process. Love the icon by the way

Last edited by Kboland; 03-04-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
mollyvox

Man... that would rock if the world was Molly-proofed!
It looks like you can't use gingerbreak if you have the march 2 update and I don't trust my self to do it the other way.

Sad Molly is sad.