Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Discworld

Whoever it was that recommended the Discworld novels to me, thank you so much.

They are absolutely awesome. I literally can't stop reading them anymore.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Dont forget the Tiffany Aching books that are also part of the Diskworld universe.

You can also find some Cartoons based on the book and one or two full-length movies (HogFather for one) on DVD from Amazon.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, I'll definitely get into the other stuff later, too.

The only thing that is bad about the books is that people look at me weird when I start laughing out loud while I'm reading.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Good Omens that Pratchett wrote with Neil Gaiman is also very good. It's set on this world (mostly) rather than the Discworld.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There is no ebook of Good Omens though...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
blt50203
Rogue Bookseller
blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blt50203 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad, iPhone, B&N nook
I googles "Good Omens ebook" and the first result was the book in PDF
blt50203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt50203 View Post
I googles "Good Omens ebook" and the first result was the book in PDF
That doesn't look like a legal copy. Nor are the ones on rapidshare or the torrents that show up when you do that search.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
Whoever it was that recommended the Discworld novels to me, thank you so much.

They are absolutely awesome. I literally can't stop reading them anymore.
In that case, you absolutely need to find and watch the following movies:

The Colour of Magic
Hogfather
Going Postal

All three are fabulous, featuring some of Britain's best actors.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
In that case, you absolutely need to find and watch the following movies:

The Colour of Magic
Hogfather
Going Postal

All three are fabulous, featuring some of Britain's best actors.
I've seen The Colour of Magic and Hogfather. Enjoyed both of those. I'll have to look for Going Postal on Netflix.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rats - I have just checked NetFlix and Amazon and I cannot find the movie version of "Going Postal" anywhere.

If you liked Terry Pratchett - check out Jasper Fford. Start with "The Ayre Affair" to start the Thursday Next series (her mother is named Wendsday and she has a pet Dodo she grew from a kit)
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Whenever anyone says they enjoy Terry Pratchett, I always suggest they give Robert Rankin a try.

He has a similarly warped sense of humour to Pratchett, but twists things even further. Try his Brentford Trilogy for starters.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Is there a preferred entry point to the series? When I get around to the series I plan to read them in publication order.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I just got started with discworld as well! I started with the color of magic, which is the first one written. A few of my friends say the other ones that were published later are better, but I wanted to start at the beginning. I'm liking it, but not loving it. I'm towards the end of the book and I feel like the writing is getting a little disjointed. However I do plan to continue on with the series!
I know this is a common gripe on this site with some books but I was really annoyed to find the color of magic and a few others in the series priced at $9.99! For goodness sakes the series has been out I think since the 80's and the paper backs are 7.99! I've chosen to purchase the ones that are priced at 9.99 as used paper backs and will be buying the ebooks that are priced at 7.99.

eta- I found this fun chart for reading orders and entry points http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...r-guide-20.jpg

Last edited by jessicalynn; 01-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Try buying the Color of Magic from Borders, the dead wood is $8 and the ebook is $10. This is one of those where I will not be purchasing the ebook as it costs too much.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalynn View Post
I just got started with discworld as well! I started with the color of magic, which is the first one written. A few of my friends say the other ones that were published later are better, but I wanted to start at the beginning. I'm liking it, but not loving it. I'm towards the end of the book and I feel like the writing is getting a little disjointed. However I do plan to continue on with the series!
I know this is a common gripe on this site with some books but I was really annoyed to find the color of magic and a few others in the series priced at $9.99! For goodness sakes the series has been out I think since the 80's and the paper backs are 7.99! I've chosen to purchase the ones that are priced at 9.99 as used paper backs and will be buying the ebooks that are priced at 7.99.

eta- I found this fun chart for reading orders and entry points http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...r-guide-20.jpg
The later books do have more flow to them. Personally, I prefer the ones kind of in the middle, because they maintain the quirkiness in writing style, but more polished. (Men at Arms, Reaperman, though Nightwatch is my favorite and it's in the more recent style.) The Tiffany Aching books are also excellent.

Someone upthread mentioned Jasper Fforde, which I've also recommended to a lot of people, but there's a caveat. The humor in the Thursday Next series is largely composed of riffs on classic literature. I enjoyed the first two books, but I haven't read a lot of classics, so I could feel the breeze from a good portion of the jokes zinging by be. A little humbling.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote