Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Kindle book loaning now live

I just logged onto Amazon and it now looks like I can lend previously bought Kindle books to others.

Clicking on Loan this book gives you:

Which appears to let you loan the book to anyone (even those without a Kindle).

More details over here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...=discounter-20

Last edited by greencat; 12-30-2010 at 08:46 AM.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Only certain books !

I logged into my account and that option was NOT available for the ebook I checked.

Thus, it appears only certain books will have this option. It is probable the publisher must approve it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Scurzuzu
Scurzuzu doesn't litterScurzuzu doesn't litter

Device: Kindle / iPhone / iPad
Looks like it's available by default on all non-DRM'ed Kindle titles, and only available for a select few DRM'ed titles. You can tell whether it has the feature before purchase by looking under the Product Details section, where there's now a category called "Lending."

Someone needs to start a lending library program (forum thread? website?) where people list books they want to read and give an email address, and people who have already bought said books can use up their "single loan coupon" for a stranger. I'm not sure there'd ever be enough participants or eligible books to make it work, but it'd be a nice way to share with others.
Scurzuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
By default it's switched on I think. Publisher info below:

http://forums.digitaltextplatform.co...externalID=581
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
woohoo

I think
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurzuzu View Post
Looks like it's available by default on all non-DRM'ed Kindle titles, and only available for a select few DRM'ed titles. You can tell whether it has the feature before purchase by looking under the Product Details section, where there's now a category called "Lending."

Someone needs to start a lending library program (forum thread? website?) where people list books they want to read and give an email address, and people who have already bought said books can use up their "single loan coupon" for a stranger. I'm not sure there'd ever be enough participants or eligible books to make it work, but it'd be a nice way to share with others.
I've started a Facebook group for that purpose. Admittedly, "Kindle Book Lending Club" is a lame name, but I took all of 10 seconds to set it up.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
LOL just remember that you can only lend a book once. I am keeping my lending options in the family.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
LOL just remember that you can only lend a book once. I am keeping my lending options in the family.
I completely forgot you could only lend once. Oh, well. I can still see advantages in having a larger pool to pick from, but it does require the person have your e-mail address, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were wary.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Scurzuzu
Scurzuzu doesn't litterScurzuzu doesn't litter

Device: Kindle / iPhone / iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I completely forgot you could only lend once. Oh, well. I can still see advantages in having a larger pool to pick from, but it does require the person have your e-mail address, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were wary.
Yeah, those are two big reasons people won't participate--the fact that lending is a one-time-only affair, and that you have to provide an email address. However, it doesn't look like you have to provide the address associated with your Amazon Kindle account (although I haven't confirmed this yet--I'm just basing this off of the Amazon FAQ).

As for that one-time-only limit, I suspect at least some people share their Kindle titles amongst family members who are already on their accounts, or they don't share subject interests with family. That leaves friends next on the list, and then complete strangers!

...but yeah, I'm not sure it would take off.

On a related note, I saw that GalleyGat has opened a similar Facebook page today: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galley...pp_10442206389
Scurzuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurzuzu View Post
On a related note, I saw that GalleyGat has opened a similar Facebook page today: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galley...pp_10442206389
Cool. I'll check that page out.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
bhartman36
Wizard

I just got an e-mail from the Amazon DTP program that clarified the terms:

Quote:
All DTP titles are enrolled in lending by default. For titles in the 35% royalty option, you may choose to opt out of lending by deselecting the checkbox under "Kindle Book Lending," in the "Rights and Pricing" section of the title upload/edit process. You may not choose to opt out a title if it is included in the lending program of another sales or distribution channel. For more details, see section 5.2.2 of the Term and Conditions.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
And already the authors on a Paranormal Romance email "chat list" I'm on are all a'twitter. They're all squawking that their publishers had better opt-out or else...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
And already the authors on a Paranormal Romance email "chat list" I'm on are all a'twitter. They're all squawking that their publishers had better opt-out or else...
That stinks. I know I first heard about it when I saw Brandon Sanderson tweeted that you could lend his amazon books now. Some authors don't seem to have a problem with it.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
It's a nice step but it's still too restrictive i.e. the time limit and only being able to lend a book once. If ebooks and ebook readers are supposed to mimic the experience with physical books then an owner should at least be able to lend their ebooks for an unlimited number of times and for any length of time. Just like with physical books

I guess the heavy restrictions are in place to prevent people from only borrowing books from friends and not buying them. Publishers are doing their best to milk the ebook industry for all its worth before it becomes more lenient re rights and access.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
STrucks
STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For any redditors out there, I've got a Kindle Lend/Request reddit up and running. Check it out here: http://www.reddit.com/r/KindleLend/
STrucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book loaning, kindle