Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #3886
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Whew, I've spent two days going through my TBR, reading synopses and book reviews to decide what to keep and what to delete (ok, tag as 'no' in Calibre) I'm not quite ready to delete unread books yet.... But managed to remove lots of books, TBR went from 661 to 212

Now I "just" have to refrain from buying more...

Last edited by June; 06-21-2016 at 02:01 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #3887
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Whew, I've spent two days going through my TBR, reading synopses and book reviews to decide what to keep and what to delete (ok, tag as 'no' in Calibre) I'm not quite ready to delete unread books yet.... But managed to remove lots of books, TBR went from 661 to 212

I have about 10K paper books in storage and none of them have a "delete" button, and tossing them into a recycling bin seems such a waste (but needing to sort them is what keeps them in storage). Bits and bytes are less expensive than physical storage, but time to sort these books (paper and ebook) is the real hidden cost. We pay for our addictions one way or another. Posting to social networks is another addiction many of us face as well.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-21-2016 at 02:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:48 AM   #3888
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
The good:

I just whipped half a dozen ebooks into shape, moving them from "Pending" to "Copied to Kobo." Go me!

On the writing side, I got a big chunk of backstory figured out that might even spawn new stories on its own - which I guess means I've added to my TBW pile.

The bad:

Four of those ebooks had already been loaded onto my reader - but with the original poor formatting/navigation instead of the new-and-improved version. So it's really only a net gain of two books off the processing pile.

The ugly:

My Fantasy and Nightmare back issues from the People of Colo(u)r Destroy Science Fiction Kickstarter came through, adding 85 issues plus one sampler anthology to the pile. Oh, and I cashed in some reward points to pick up three more books, one of which is a "get the ebook so I can get rid of the tree-book" deal, so I'm really only adding two of those to the process-to-read mountain.

So at the end of the day, I'm 86 books further behind. Way to get smart, Bob. At this rate, I'm going to have to rename the backlog from Mount TBR to the TBR Massif.

And I still have writing to do.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #3889
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, TBR +8 books yesterday.... Series shopping spree :/

And 10 books today.... Not good, got carried away picked up lots of dystopian books.

Not looking good - although I am still on the "minus side" I have read -44 from the TBR and only bought +18 so far this year....

The Kindle Unlimited and library books keep me from reading more from the TBR.

Last edited by June; 06-22-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:00 AM   #3890
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have about 10K paper books in storage and none of them have a "delete" button, and tossing them into a recycling bin seems such a waste (but needing to sort them is what keeps them in storage). Bits and bytes are less expensive than physical storage, but time to sort these books (paper and ebook) is the real hidden cost. We pay for our addictions one way or another. Posting to social networks is another addiction many of us face as well.
One very good thing about ebooks is they don't get moldy! Ever notice that some used book stores have a slightly unpleasant odor?

Lord, I remember the boxes of books I found in our grainery when I was a kid. They had to have been thirty or so years old, paper ready to fall apart, the smell was ummm not so pleasant is a nice way to put it. Lord I was hard up for reading material as a kid in the sixties. I think the books were rejects from an auction sale or a rummage sale.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #3891
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
We have several assisted living/senior living places that just opened in the area. They all have libraries and are happy to take donations of novels from non-smoking homes. So, consider them in your donation options. I know when I donated a bunch of science fiction paperbacks, they guys were THRILLED!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #3892
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
One very good thing about ebooks is they don't get moldy! Ever notice that some used book stores have a slightly unpleasant odor?

Lord, I remember the boxes of books I found in our grainery when I was a kid. They had to have been thirty or so years old, paper ready to fall apart, the smell was ummm not so pleasant is a nice way to put it. Lord I was hard up for reading material as a kid in the sixties. I think the books were rejects from an auction sale or a rummage sale.
Mom and I are clearing out her attic and some of those books have been stored for 30 years. We've had to throw about 5 boxes out because the bindings were either eaten or disintegrated. Bunch of others have been donated and Mom even found a couple she wants me to have scanned and converted so she can have on her ereader.

June has been an expensive month - in terms of adding to the TBR not so much the cost. It's those audiobook deals. $1.99. Can't pass them up especially when it's an author I enjoy. Must be stronger...

Last edited by Tarana; 06-24-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #3893
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post

June, rather than spend a ton of time on them, I just created a Calibre library with free books. Then, when I'm hanging out on hold (which I do a lot) I sort through them to delete those...why did I get that? books.. It helped to get them out of my Amazon cloud, which has almost 1000 books.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #3894
yennhikorea
yennhikorea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread

My name is Nhi and I'm an e-book addict. I worked out that it would take me about 10 years to read my current collection.
yennhikorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #3895
June
Addict

Oh dear, bought another 13 ebooks today. I guess cleaning out my TBR pile wasn't a good idea, now I think I have "room" for new books

Welcome Nhi
Old 06-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #3896
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I resisted some sales this weekend so I think I'm on the right track now. Resist, resist, resist. Read, read, read.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #3897
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Halfway through the year and the slope's got a little slippy for me. Through May, I averaged five books and an outlay of $15 per month; in June, I bought eight books and spent $25.

Taken as a half-year total, it's not too bad. Roughly 1¼ books per week for $100; indeed, if I can extrapolate at that rate for the whole year, I'll be content (although I should be doing better still; I'd particularly like to get my average down to a book/week). However, I have to be aware of my current trajectory.

The pitfall is that I look ahead to each month and anticipate no purchases at all. Then each month, something "justifiable" comes up. This month, it was Kobo coupons. Next month, I already know I have to use up my Amazon slow-ship credit.* I'll try to hold it to that, but despite my best intentions, I'm prone to impulse. The good news is that compared to the bad old days, I've become positively abstemious.

*My methodology for slow-ship and settlement credit is not to count it as an outlay, but to count the books acquired thereby as purchases.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #3898
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Just when you think it's safe to go outside, Kobo unleashes a destructive unlimited promo code.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #3899
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Just when you think it's safe to go outside, Kobo unleashes a destructive unlimited promo code.
Ain't it the truth!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #3900
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have no problem with resisting freebies anymore. Haven't got one in months! I never read them anyways. It's those $1.99 sales that get me lately.
Can we say Eric Clapton and Dick Van Dyke?
I know what you mean on the $1.99 specials.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote