Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
bunjibear
bunjibear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & PRS350 -Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HD Newbie (?')

Just received the Kindle Fire HD yesterday & being a Sony user for about 5 years - I have a few questions.

1. On my Sony they had an option where you can select a picture to display when it went into standby or the off mode Is there it easy way to do this on the Fire and if so what pic format is best?

2. On books using Calibre to convert my epubs to mobi & adding name of series Ex: James Brown 01 - Bedlam by Jim Turner. I was surprised that the Kindle only showed the book cover and author. I have some books that go as high book 11. I was able to overcome this problem using ES File Explorer - click on books and it list the books and the series number. tap it & goes right to the book. Thanks to the people in this forum who recommended Es Explorer - a great app.

3. As most of my books are in epub format , I noted in the forum the mention that an app called Overdrive Media could handle epubs. Do you have to copy them to Overdrive and do they show up with you regular mobi books. Any info how you do this would be helpful

Thanks in advance for you assistance
bunjibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got my FireHD so, I'm no expert at any of this, and might be wrong, but anyway...

1. I don't believe there's a built-in option for that, but I know there are Apps that let you set your screensaver or wallpaper. I haven't looked for one yet though.

3. Overdrive Media allow you to download books from your local library. I haven't used it on the Fire yet, but I believe it only handles the Fire's native format, as all the books are delivered directly from Amazon.

You should be able to find an App like Montanto that lets you read epubs. I just use Calibre and let it convert the books to Kindle format for me. The two books I sent to my KFHD appeared in the carousel, but I haven't worked with it much yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
bunjibear

Thanks carld for your response I've been using Calibre to convert to old mobi - haven't tried the new mobi or azw3 yet.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjibear View Post
Just received the Kindle Fire HD yesterday & being a Sony user for about 5 years - I have a few questions.

1. On my Sony they had an option where you can select a picture to display when it went into standby or the off mode Is there it easy way to do this on the Fire and if so what pic format is best?

2. On books using Calibre to convert my epubs to mobi & adding name of series Ex: James Brown 01 - Bedlam by Jim Turner. I was surprised that the Kindle only showed the book cover and author. I have some books that go as high book 11. I was able to overcome this problem using ES File Explorer - click on books and it list the books and the series number. tap it & goes right to the book. Thanks to the people in this forum who recommended Es Explorer - a great app.

3. As most of my books are in epub format , I noted in the forum the mention that an app called Overdrive Media could handle epubs. Do you have to copy them to Overdrive and do they show up with you regular mobi books. Any info how you do this would be helpful

Thanks in advance for you assistance
Overdrive is more for Library books but it can open epubs in a pinch if needed but for a library of Epubs there is Aldiko or a older version of Mantano, B&N 's Nook app or Cool Reader 3 to name a few. I don't know if the latest version of Mantano works on the Kindle Fire HD or not but I know it doesn't on the Original Kindle Fire. The last working version of Mantano Premium reader for me is 2.2.3. Anything newer just doesn't work with the softkeys on the original Fire. There is a free version of Mantano on 1Mobile It will work with the Kindle Fire as it's a very old version.

Only Kindle books on the shelves. Everything else you will need to import into the epub app to see it there or use File Explorer to open it manually.

Note: Overdrive does not handle Kindle books. Only Epub, PDF and MP3.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
To Remove Anything Off the Carosel hold your finger on it then popup will ask if you want to delet or just remove from carosel. Remove from carosel you can find them under books!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
bunjibear

Blossom & Kate1 thanks for the helpful info. I'm finally getting the hang of it