Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was surprised myself that there wasn't a simple "science fiction" category. Somehow, their FICTION>ADVENTURE and FICTION>TECHNOLOGICAL don't do the genre justice, and I may have a hard time categorizing some of my novels.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #32
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I was surprised myself that there wasn't a simple "science fiction" category. Somehow, their FICTION>ADVENTURE and FICTION>TECHNOLOGICAL don't do the genre justice, and I may have a hard time categorizing some of my novels.
i notice i pasted one entry twice when i listed my categories before. the one i inadvertently omitted was:

FICTION > Fantasy > Epic

... which seems slightly overstatement for a fairy tale ... unless its the size of lotr. [g]

there is a FICTION > Science Fiction > [Adventure] [General] [High Tech] category, btw. shouldn't your work fit one of those? and that category nearly matches the categories on the product page. i couldn't find FICTION > Technological as a category on the DTP page.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
i posted a comment in between here and got a message that a moderator would have to approve it. i've been too busy, i'm ashamed to say, to read the terms of use, but i had a link in there to my item on amazon and i wonder if that triggered them to not post it.
Yes, for your first so many days of membership, any post with a link in it automatically gets put into the moderation queue and has to be manually cleared by a mod. This normally gets done within a few hours.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #34
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, for your first so many days of membership, any post with a link in it automatically gets put into the moderation queue and has to be manually cleared by a mod. This normally gets done within a few hours.
thanks harry. it's no big deal and i think i've talked it to death. i didn't mean to make an issue of it, just to understand.

and just now i've noticed that post has popped into place right behind yours and about 8-12 hours later. so you can read just how insignificant it was for yourself. [g]

if i had been thinking (hard at 0400) i'd've put in the asin# amazon assigned it instead of the link.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-26-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not at all - it's always good to understand how these things work!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
there is a FICTION > Science Fiction > [Adventure] [General] [High Tech] category, btw. shouldn't your work fit one of those? and that category nearly matches the categories on the product page. i couldn't find FICTION > Technological as a category on the DTP page.

/guy
Hmm... I remember looking for something like that, and not seeing it... I'll have to look over the categories list again, maybe I wasn't using it properly.

BTW, I see that my books are now buyable on Amazon.com! ...but with no sign of the book description I wrote, nor a link to it...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #37
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Hmm... I remember looking for something like that, and not seeing it... I'll have to look over the categories list again, maybe I wasn't using it properly.

BTW, I see that my books are now buyable on Amazon.com! ...but with no sign of the book description I wrote, nor a link to it...
hang in there. i seem to remember that my description lagged behind by 12-36 hours.

/guy
Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
hang in there. i seem to remember that my description lagged behind by 12-36 hours.
That would be the "Product Description," under Editorial Reviews, right? Why would it lag behind everything else? Particularly when it took a day to post the book, and another 2 days to make it purchasable?

Oh, BTW, I discovered the categories you mentioned, amended mine and republished. It looks like the books stay purchasable while being re-published, but I guess I should expect a few more days before the categories reflect the change.

Now, the catch: Finding the books. Subtitle: How many bestsellers and Big Publishers' books do I have to dig past to find my humble novel, without resorting to a specific search? In fact, when I used a specific search for As the Mirror Cracks, using the title in quotes, my book was still not on the first page of found items. It was pushed to page 2 by Big Pub items, mostly Agatha Christie reprints of The Mirror Crack'd... not even an exact match. So how is anyone supposed to dig me out of over 91,000 books, when I'm stuck behind the Big Pub giants' shadows?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #39
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
That would be the "Product Description," under Editorial Reviews, right? Why would it lag behind everything else? Particularly when it took a day to post the book, and another 2 days to make it purchasable?
i haven't the faintest idea. but i'm nearly certain it was not there when the item first went 'live' because i was surprised when it suddenly showed up.

Quote:
Oh, BTW, I discovered the categories you mentioned, amended mine and republished. It looks like the books stay purchasable while being re-published, but I guess I should expect a few more days before the categories reflect the change.

Now, the catch: Finding the books. Subtitle: How many bestsellers and Big Publishers' books do I have to dig past to find my humble novel, without resorting to a specific search? In fact, when I used a specific search for As the Mirror Cracks, using the title in quotes, my book was still not on the first page of found items. It was pushed to page 2 by Big Pub items, mostly Agatha Christie reprints of The Mirror Crack'd... not even an exact match. So how is anyone supposed to dig me out of over 91,000 books, when I'm stuck behind the Big Pub giants' shadows?
i'm still unable to find my book by category at all. i posted on the dtp forum about it, but haven't checked back for an answer today. finding by my name, title (or partial) or asin works fine and given my pub date, it sorts by that criteria to near the top.

the only way i seem to be able to find my item by browsing is by sorting by pub date. the last time i uploaded i changed my pub date to 11/24, so my item is within the first few pages of the sort for now. but i see more and more people getting in on the action. i think we were a couple of the very first (independents--although i deserve no such tag) to publish works there judging by the publication dates. but then again, perhaps others used original pub dates instead of considering this a new publication.

[later note: just went to the dtp forum, and while they haven't answered my category question, it looks like they've answered your question and also the difference between 'live' and 'ready':

Quote:
Re: Amazon Listing Issues
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 12:36 PM
Items that show up as 'Live' inside DTP may take a while to appear in the Amazon catalog. Their descriptions will usually require even longer (up to a couple of days) to appear in the Amazon store.

[much later note: and i got this reply about the categories. they seem to be saying we are creating the book page categories by selecting them on the dtp page:

Quote:
Re: categories on 'my shelf' and the kindle books page don't match
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 4:48 PM in response to: accts6

If the right categories don't appear in the catalog yet, it may take up to a week for them to be created and fully show on the detail (book) pages.
at any rate, it seems that people who can answer questions about publishing are on the forum as of monday and they are clearing the backlog we dumped on them over the long holidays. promising ...

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-26-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added later note
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
at any rate, it seems that people who can answer questions about publishing are on the forum as of monday and they are clearing the backlog we dumped on them over the long holidays. promising ...
Checking the forums, it was obvious to me that SOME of them were in over the weekend, too, but it's nice to see they're all back to work now. I've got a few questions I'm still waiting to hear back on.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #41
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Subtitle: How many bestsellers and Big Publishers' books do I have to dig past to find my humble novel, without resorting to a specific search?
I assume Amazon is sorting based on sales volume, so any new title would be low on the list. I don't know if the Kindle search is based on AZW sales only or not. If it includes all media, then e-book only products will be at a disadvantage.

Note that Amazon is quite effective at suggesting new titles based on overall buying patterns (others who bought this also bought), and your own buying patterns (you might like). However, recommendations may also be biased to high volume items. Some times the individual recommendations get fixated on new purchases over older ones, so if you just bought (say) several hard case crime books this category will dominate Amazon's picks even if overall you buy more science fiction.

Amazon's fixation of sales volume can be annoying, they will slip in a best seller recommendation out of left field occasionally, but I'm sure they would tell you that their technique maximizes sales.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM   #42
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Amazon's fixation of sales volume can be annoying, they will slip in a best seller recommendation out of left field occasionally, but I'm sure they would tell you that their technique maximizes sales.
Well, it certainly maintains sales for those already at the top. Like any other store, the most popular material is stocked to the rafters and displayed right out front and on end-caps, while the not-so-popular items are hidden away in the light bulbs aisle...

This, of course, is part and parcel to the problem I've always had getting recognized by a "castle"-based publishing system: It is designed throughout to promote the rich and powerful already on the inside, while the serfs are left on the outside to fend for themselves.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #43
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Does it give you an option to allow Kindle users to download a free sample chapter?

I really like that option because within one chapter I can usually tell if I like the writer's style and if I like the direction he's going with the story.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #44
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Does it give you an option to allow Kindle users to download a free sample chapter?

I really like that option because within one chapter I can usually tell if I like the writer's style and if I like the direction he's going with the story.
there's a heated discussion (well, one dude is heated, at any rate) on the dtp forum about this very thing. evidently amazon haven't yet worked out the mechanism for providing samples of self-published items.

in my case, with a story only a few pages long, it is sort of redundant although i like the idea of being able to provide at least a few sample paragraphs for just what you say--determining if you like the style.

just out of curiosity, i wonder what would happen if they let the self-publishers mark off a sample area and some selected the whole work so they could provide it free to their friends? i know, anarchy to even think like that and steve will b****-slap me again i'm sure! [g]

so i have no dog in the fight except i'm always for free samples. of ice cream or reading material ...

/guy
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #45
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I hope they fix that. It seems to me that a sample is even more important for a less well-known writer. I'm much more apt to take a chance if I can read a little of it first.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote