Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #46
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonscoomo View Post
It is possible to rotate it 90 or 180 degrees, screen will flip then. 180 degrees "autoswitch on" is default, 90 is default for PDF only. No one need to rotate 90 degrees with reflowable text I guess. If so, switch it on.
nice !!! thanks ! that sounds brilliant. it seems like such a simple feature, but it makes a huge difference in ergonomy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #47
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Very, VERY excited about this device!

The specs look great.
The design too - with the exception of the asymmetrical bezel option.
Is this a new kind of fashion? Samsung Papyrus also recently opted for an asymmetrical bezel...

It may seem unimportant (and it certainlly is, when compared to some specs), but it was one of the first things I first noticed about the txtr and something I pretty much believe most people, when regarding to design, will not appreciate! The symmetry is still, in design field, an important value!

(I also noticed the commands take advantage of that asymmetry, but still...)

Anyway, welcome noonscoomo! And congratulations for the great reader this device promises to be!

Regards
Nelson

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 01-23-2009 at 10:29 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #48
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
size and weight of the reader?
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
My next reader will be a reader were I can write my own programs for it. So this looks very interesting.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hm, i don't mind the asymmetric bezel at all, maybe because i'm used to the eb1150 (also asymmetric). on the contrary, i think it's an excellent design choice, since it gives you someplace to grip the device. especially with the accelerometer this is very nice. i think it's good ergonomy.
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #51
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Annotations?

@noonscoomo (obviously)

How do you handle anotations on the device?

Btw, I thought a bit about text input on a device with two capacitive sliders and I think there are some interesting (new) possibilities for text input.

I was actually all in favour of touch screen approach, at least until Sony made PRS-700 and sacrificed screen quality and, somehow, I am not ready to accept a compromise there.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #52
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycropht View Post
I was actually all in favour of touch screen approach, at least until Sony made PRS-700 and sacrificed screen quality and, somehow, I am not ready to accept a compromise there.
maybe txtr will get it right.

(i'd be interested to hear your ideas about text input using sliders.)
Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #53
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
No one need to rotate 90 degrees with reflowable text I guess.
Why not? If there is a wide table or image, having the possibility of rotating the page is good.

With the accelerometer, could it be possible to give it a "shake" to page forward? That's nice for one-hand reading
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #54
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
@noonscoomo (obviously)

How do you handle anotations on the device?

Btw, I thought a bit about text input on a device with two capacitive sliders and I think there are some interesting (new) possibilities for text input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
maybe txtr will get it right.

There was a Chinese UMPC with an e-ink keyboard, that had the e-ink as the top layer. that would be better than the Sony.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #55
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
hm, i don't mind the asymmetric bezel at all, maybe because i'm used to the eb1150 (also asymmetric). on the contrary, i think it's an excellent design choice, since it gives you someplace to grip the device. especially with the accelerometer this is very nice. i think it's good ergonomy.
Well, I like to hold my Cybook on the bottom of the device... No problem there.

Anyway, I think it really is subjective, as all design issues are...

This thing just might make me wonder about buying a second reader...

The 3th quarter seems really damn distant...

Nelson
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #56
hlgr
hlgr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I would buy one just to get my hands on some zebracorn hair

But seriously, I am really looking forward to this device. (Especially since options in Germany are pretty limited)
hlgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Slider text input

Quote:
Well, I've toyed with the ideas but, thinking them through, I must admit that I don't have anything good enough to be offered for a discussion. If one could conveniently use both sliders at the same time, then...maybe...

However, I have reached a conclusion that a touchpad instead of the cross (same position and space) would be a MUCH better idea. Any kind of cursor type navigation would be easier and it could be used for handwritten characters.

Well, I'm sure txtr creators have their reasons for every choice made.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #58
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It was my understanding that the frontlight is what compromises the PRS700's screen, not the touch.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #59
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You can connect to the txtr.com platform via wifi or 3G/2G to keep your document collection in sync and to have all the blogs, rss feeds and so with you in the field. You will also be able to buy Books, Magazines and so online.

Browsing the web is more a question if you accept, that the display will not render flash and multimedia. For us it's definitely a reader, not a browser. But since it's open (and we mean it), theres no doubt that everything which is usefull (an something which is not) will be done.
Well I am only interesting in news, blog, shop, and forum pages really. So the lack of multimedia isn't an issue for me. And I guess you're right... whatever isn't included would be offered by the community eventually.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #60
jeffg
jeffg began at the beginning.

Device: none
txtr vs plastic logic

How does the txtr reader compare with the plastic logic reader? Are they going to be competitors? Are they related in some way? Important differences?

- jeff
jeffg is offline   Reply With Quote