Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
quackles
quackles began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Problem running calibre on multiple machines

Hi all!

I used dropbox public folder and created a library on my work PC (xp pro machine) containing roughly 350 books. I ran calibre2opds and saw the library through stanza on my ipad, then I went home and opened the same library on my macbook. It opened perfectly and I saw the books that I had added in work. I then added another couple of hundred at home and manually edited their metadata. I returned to work and tried to run calibre2opds but the new books didn't show up. Upon further examination, I realised that the work pc is not seeing the changes I make on the library from the home computer. Am I missing something here? Any help at all would be very much appreciated, I've tagged the same books three times now and I'm going nuts
quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is NOT multi-user (not yet anyway) and always assumes it has exclusive access to its database. Therefore you must not have two instances of calibre running against the same database or they will stamp on each other's updates. If you have Calibre set to minimise to the systray it is very easy to forget that you have not properly closed it down. I have got in the habit of making sure I never minimise, and always exit via CTRL-Q.

My guess is that you did not completely close down calibre when you swtiched locations. If that happens then you will get the symptoms you described. If you have closed calibre down before starting it at another location then what you are attempting should work fine. You need to make sure that DropBox has time to update any changed calibre files on the local machine before you start up Calibre). Also when you close Calibre on the local PC you must give DropBox time to sync the changes to the internet before closing down the local machine.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@itimpi: You know you can turn off the system tray icon, right?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
quackles
quackles began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre is NOT multi-user (not yet anyway) and always assumes it has exclusive access to its database. Therefore you must not have two instances of calibre running against the same database or they will stamp on each other's updates. If you have Calibre set to minimise to the systray it is very easy to forget that you have not properly closed it down. I have got in the habit of making sure I never minimise, and always exit via CTRL-Q.

My guess is that you did not completely close down calibre when you swtiched locations. If that happens then you will get the symptoms you described. If you have closed calibre down before starting it at another location then what you are attempting should work fine. You need to make sure that DropBox has time to update any changed calibre files on the local machine before you start up Calibre). Also when you close Calibre on the local PC you must give DropBox time to sync the changes to the internet before closing down the local machine.
That might be where I went wrong, so - I never ctrl and q out on the mac. I'll start from scratch again and give it another shot - thank you!
quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@itimpi: You know you can turn off the system tray icon, right?
Yep - I knew about that. Did not want to complicate the explanation too much.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert