Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #196
GERGE
Addict
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
dd actually is the best tool ever to clone drives, it works bit perfect. But expanding the KOBOeReader partition doesn't work in OS X, OS X does not talk in MBR. You have to do that part in a virtual machine like Parallels.

This is the dd and diskutil commands, maybe you could add them to the first post?

To find which drives we are going to clone to and from, diskutil list command is needed. It lists the disks. Then this two commands to take an image and restore it:

sudo dd if=/dev/disk2 of=~/Desktop/KoboSD.dmg (takes an image from the original card)
sudo newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk3 (cleans the new card) (optional)
sudo dd if=~/Desktop/KoboSD.dmg of=/dev/disk3 (writes the image to the new card)

Afterwards it is the same, you only need to use a Virtual Machine. Parallels trial would work well (if they still have trial).

Last edited by GERGE; 04-19-2015 at 03:26 PM.
GERGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #197
Maartenk
Maartenk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
Hello! Welcome to my Kobo Glo Memory Upgrade Guide!
For me it was not an upgrade - my internal sd card broke. Actually my kobo was bricked for no reason (really not my fault this time). Later I found out the microsd was the problem.

I used your guide to backup my internal microSD, which was from factory a sandisk class 4 4gb micro sd marked with a pink dot. 1.8gb unused disk area. Luckily, making the backup image on the computer worked (although it took 2 hours to make the image). After I used the steps you described to create a new internal drive on a kingston 4gb class 10, my kobo worked again.

I'm glad i didn't use my warranty, as they would have probably given me a replacement and tossed the old machine away, while only the SD was malfunctioning.

THANKS!!!
Maartenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #198
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, Fire HD 6
I took my spare Glo apart to restore the original SD card, fiddled with the slider, now it works again! Although it powers off instead of putting to sleep. But it's progress. Maybe after a few more tries it'll right itself.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard