Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Plastic Logic kills QUE

Plastic Logic kills QUE, 'shifts focus' to second-generation ProReader

Quote:
And just like that, with the swing of a virtual axe, she's all dead and buried. Plastic Logic has been stuck in a world of perpetual delays ever since wowing the universe with its QUE ProReader at CES, and rather than delaying it again, the company is simply cutting its losses and moving on. To quote CEO Richard Archuleta: "We recognize the market has dramatically changed, and with the product delays we have experienced, it no longer make sense for us to move forward with our first generation electronic reading product." To that end, the company plans to "shift its focus to bring to market a second-generation ProReader plastic electronics-based product," but absolutely no details regarding form factor, pricing or an estimated ship date are given.
Plastic Logic kill QUE [Engadget]
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
how much for one of the prototypes used at ces? or the one i used at sid?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I offer you $50
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
To that end, the company plans to "shift its focus to bring to market a second-generation ProReader plastic electronics-based product," but absolutely no details regarding form factor, pricing or an estimated ship date are given.
Dear Lord, I think I broke something laughing at this...
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
In the end they removed the built-in SDHC card reader, and they had the device priced way too high. I did like the form factor and the screen though, I hope the next version is not missing features and is priced much better.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
In the end they removed the built-in SDHC card reader, and they had the device priced way too high. I did like the form factor and the screen though, I hope the next version is not missing features and is priced much better.
Well, this was the one I was really excited about, it looked really slick, and the integration with corporate apps (outlook, word, etc) was compelling, though I disliked the WinCE OS, I might have been willing to overlook it.

I guess I am now more glad that I bought the iPad, as I still have a decent ereader (dons flame-retardant outfit), and can do basic productivity things like email calendar and word processing. And towards the end they were talking about $800-$1000, which after the iPad set the $500 entry price, was too much.

Oh well, I will watch android closely, as it looks promising, as long as it does not get to fragmented, or designed-by-committee-ish.

RIP
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think a number of companies were caught flat-footed with the price drops. A market that seemed viable suddenly wasn't.

There's nothing wrong with liking your iPad for ereading! If you're happy, that's what matters. It's all about buying the device that suits you, after all.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I think a number of companies were caught flat-footed with the price drops. A market that seemed viable suddenly wasn't.

There's nothing wrong with liking your iPad for ereading! If you're happy, that's what matters. It's all about buying the device that suits you, after all.
I am surprisingly satisfied with it, though I was a big eink fan, I don't mind black and white and slow page refresh and all, as I am fairly slow kind of guy. I did try using a web-browser and email reader on my iliad, but it all became too kludgy for me to support for my own use.

And the battery life was great, but I think apple has the wind to it's back on this, as they have developed a very intuitive product, which does it's functions nicely.

Anyway, it is sad to see the QUE demise.
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote