Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
So many styles!

I had a big text PDF book. I used Acrobat to convert it to html. I corrected the html file with OpenOffice, structured it carefully with styles (title 1, title2, title3). I then converted this ODT file to EPUB with calibre (yes, here we are).

This book has about 20 chapters; all are tagged with H2 headings. I wanted to change slightly the look of these H2 (add small-caps) and so I opened the css stylesheet with Sigil.

I found a bewildering number of styles to deal with my H2 heading tags. It seems as each individual H2 tag has its own individual style: P-P22, P-P44, whatever.

So my intended correction could not take place. Could somebody comment on this behaviour? Why so many styles?

Last edited by roger64; 03-21-2010 at 04:20 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are the styles defined by openoffice for each heading element. I'm sure there's a way to get it to reuse only one style, but not being an openoffice user, I can't help with that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK. Thanks for your reply.

I will try to learn with an OpenOffice forum how to "concentrate" or "unify" these little ones.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard

I got the explanation from one OpenOffice expert:

"hand" modification of the format of a paragraph triggers the creation of a so-called "automatic" style, whose description is kept in content.xml, while so-called "normal" styles descriptions are kept in styles.xml. These normal styles are created by using F11 stylist window and are the normal way to proceed for a big text.

So, if I hand modify twenty paragraphs, it will create twenty similar styles (only differing with identification number). The same applies for hand formatting of characters.

So, I am obviously the guilty one and the difference between automatic and normal styles explains the sudden appearance of so many similar styles.

He said it in French.

La modification "à la main" du formatage d'un paragraphe provoque la création d'un style automatique dont la description est stockée dans content.xml alors que les styles "normaux" sont stockés dans styles.xml. Même si toutes les modifications sont les mêmes, il y aura un style automatique pour chaque paragraphe modifié. Même chose pour les modifications de mise en forme de caractère.

Last edited by roger64; 03-21-2010 at 08:27 AM.