Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Yah, this thing needs folders.

However, JSWolf, if I was given a Sony, I'd just chuck it a drawer and continue using the kindle. The advantages are overwhelming.

-d
I have to disagree. I'm not all that fond of the Kindle. It's biggest drawback is it's unwieldy shape and poor ergonomics with the page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree. I'm not all that fond of the Kindle. It's biggest drawback is it's unwieldy shape and poor ergonomics with the page turn buttons.

A fair criticism, however its pretty overrated. While reading, these buttons do not bother me nor anyone who I know to have used it. Before I sit the thing down I just suspend it (an easy operation on the keyboard). Therefore picking it up has no accidental page turns. Resume (or "unlock" if you will) is also trivial and instantaneous.

The reset of the ergonomics are very good: button/scroll wheel locator, thumbboard with easy-to-get search button, etc.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I find when you're passing it around to folks it's easy to mistakenly turn a page (and occasionally the kitten manages it). If you're holding it, not so much (unless you have an insane kitten). I find it very comfortable use and I like the big buttons. It's just a little flick of a finger to turn a page. I don't have to move my hands from where I'm holding it. When you watch a demo video, people have trouble with it because they're not holding it naturally.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #19
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
I'm shocked that neither the Sony nor Kindle seem to support folders! At last count I have about 2500 ebooks, organized by genre/author on my media server and copied to sd/mmc cards on my nokia 770 & N800. How in the world can you manage a large collection w/o folders?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
I'm shocked that neither the Sony nor Kindle seem to support folders! At last count I have about 2500 ebooks, organized by genre/author on my media server and copied to sd/mmc cards on my nokia 770 & N800. How in the world can you manage a large collection w/o folders?
You manage it on your computer. You put on the reader the books you're reading or plan to read in the near future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Still, it is shocking. It seems one of the most common feature requests we hear from people. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. I guess it must be or else they'd have done it. I'm curious what the stumbling block is.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You manage it on your computer. You put on the reader the books you're reading or plan to read in the near future.
Or, you put all of the books on the ereader device, with a text file 00index.txt which tells you what order you wanted to read them. Or why each one was thought interesting. Or whatever you want in that index. Just having a list of all the book titles on one page (or 2 or 3) is better than seeing only 12 books per index page.

But yeah, I long for real folders......
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it some think that because they have hundreds (or more) of eBooks that all have to go on the reading device at the same time? What I've found is that this might slow down the device and are you really going to be able to read all of these before you get another book that you want to read before most of them?

I have a grand total of 83 eBooks on my 505 and I will read them all. In fact, I think a few can be removed because they are already read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #24
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't think they all have to, in fact... I've thousands of classics not on it.

But I do have multiple things there for a reason, and I'd like to be able to use them.

For books, in and of themselves, this isn't too tricky.. but if you start using articles or documents, it gets messy fast.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Personally I'd like to have all my recipes organized on my Kindle. It helps when I'm at the grocery store. I don't plan menus in advance. I go to the store and see what's good, fresh and local and decide then. It helps if I can check out my recipes so I know if I need to get other ingredients.

For books, I don't need to have tons at once but why just limit myself to books? I know a lot of folks look at these devices and think it's silly to want it to do anything a book doesn't do. I like to think about the potential of the technology and see if we can actually improve and make things easier. That's why I held out for features like search and dictionary lookup when I could've bought an e-ink reader that just displayed pages a lot earlier and for a lot less money.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #26
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Recipes were one of my first thoughts as well - but it the lack of any sort of organization system just makes that too difficult.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #27
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it some think that because they have hundreds (or more) of eBooks that all have to go on the reading device at the same time?
I want a large amount of content on my reader for the same reason I want my whole music collection on my portable media player -- I can read (listen to) what I want when the mood strikes, without worrying about what subset of content I have synced to my device. This is especially important to me when traveling and away from my computer.

It's a luxury, not an absolute necessity.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
One good thing about this, though: until there is a folder system, I don't need to worry about running out of memory, since I would not put a lot on without being able to organize it.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Recipes were one of my first thoughts as well - but it the lack of any sort of organization system just makes that too difficult.
Build a mobipocket dictionary or regular book that contains your recipes, i.e. recipe book. What a concept.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I've thought of doing them in a single Mobipocket book but I add and change recipes all the time. It'd be more cumbersome than I'd like. I would be tinkering with it constantly. Ideally, I'd like to sort them into subfolders for easy browsing so I could just drag and drop the new ones in on the fly.