Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 02:42 AM   #16
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Nope. And it is normal that the user store partitions - i.e. your documents - is left intact.

It's quite hard to guess what is wrong with your device. And since you sound a bit unsure whether Kubrick worked, I'm a bit unsure, too.

That said, I'm left puzzled. The symptoms you are facing don't sound the faintest bit like anything I've heard of before - and we have heard of many broken Kindles here in the dev' corner. If it is an option for you, I'd say contact Amazon and report it broken. As it is new, they should exchange it.

Also, in the back of my head I'm remembered of the thread that was talking about modifying the K3 refresh by parametrizing the e-ink driver. I don't remember it to be a permanent change, though. But it definitely had to do with modifying the contrast ratio.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Also, in the back of my head I'm remembered of the thread that was talking about modifying the K3 refresh by parametrizing the e-ink driver. I don't remember it to be a permanent change, though. But it definitely had to do with modifying the contrast ratio.
That one requires a modification to the e-ink driver module and a kernel module rebuild.

Although it has been copied (archived would be a better term) as part of the KUAL.system repository, it has never been included in any of the kernel module builds.
(nor into any of the kubrick builds - those use 'stock' images)

And as I recall (without pulling up the code), it is for the DX/DXG not the K3

- - - - -

O.P. wrote: "I have the same files on the device before and after using kubrick"

Two possibilities occur to me about that statement:

1) How does the O.P. know that?
Comparison of md5sums for each file would show that, a simple list of file names would not revel versions/build differences.

2) How could kubrick have run and still have the same files?
I suspect that kubrick is not running to completion on this device.

- - - - -

Another note:
O.P: "I just got it a few days ago" != "new"
The K3 has been out of production for awhile now.

No way to know what the prior owner(s) did to it.

- - - -

The display driver is partially compiled into the kernel (image) and partially supplied as kernel modules (part of the system image).

Two files, which **must** match in version and build.

My best __guess__ at the moment is mis-matched kernel/kernel modules.

Not likely if kubrick ran to completion - which we have yet to determine is happening.

But presuming that kubrick does not run to completion - then all bets are off for getting a "matched pair" on a used machine.

Without more specific details from the O.P. - - it is really hard to even guess.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...

Take a closer look at that middle screenshot - (yes, gimp tells me its 600x800 in the original).

That might well be a 5.3 kernel trying to run 3.x hardware.

New question:
Did the O.P. even select the correct Kubrick image to restore to the device?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast
chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
There was only one choice for the kindle 3 wifi. The process did go to completion. When it refreshes for a split second the screen looks normal. I bought it certified refurbished from ebay. Would the kubrick process have continued if it had not actually been in USB downloader mode?
chr1st0ph3rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast
chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.chr1st0ph3rc is faster than slow light.

as to the question of "the same files" I only meant on the user partition There is not kindlet jailbreak installed or launchpad so I assume that the kubrick has in fact worked and modifies the root partition.

Last edited by chr1st0ph3rc; 06-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1st0ph3rc View Post
as to the question of "the same files" I only meant on the user partition
User partition contents does not count in this problem.

Let us start at the start with the basic background information:

1. Is it "new" or "used" ?
  2. Country of sale ?
  3. Is it or was it a "Demo" machine ?
  4. Is it or was it a "Special Offers" machine ?
  5. Is it Wifi only or Wifi+3G ?
  6. First four characters of the serial number please.
  7. Which of the Kubrick images did you select to install ?
  8. How long did it (Kubrick) take to complete ?
  9. How long did you have to hold the power button the first time after Kubrick for it to re-boot?
  10. Are the posted images screenshots or photographs ?
This should be a solvable problem. If we only knew . . . .

Last edited by knc1; 06-17-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
chr1st0ph3rc: *if* Kubrick took anywhere between about 30min and 2 hours to complete, it should be alright. "Cleaned" of launchpad/kindlet JB certainly is a good sign, too.

I'm really scratching my head over this. Especially over that split-second-normal thingy.
Given that it is "refurbished", my guess is that it got a new screen. Maybe one that doesn't fit or work well. Hard to guess...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #23
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

1. used
2. USA
3. never was it a demo machine
4.not special offers machine
5. wifi only
6. boo8
7 the only one available for the kindle 3 image
8. 2 hours about
9 20 mins
10. photographs

The kindle screen worked fine when I got it.
the screenshots look normal but not photographs. so maybe it is a problem with the display

Last edited by chr1st0ph3rc; 06-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
1. used
2. USA
3. never was it a demo machine
4.not special offers machine
5. wifi only
6. boo8
7 the only one available for the kindle 3 image
8. 2 hours about
9 20 mins
10. photographs

The kindle screen worked fine when I got it.
the screenshots look normal but not photographs. so maybe it is a problem with the display
That all sounds good.

One question about the image showing the font selections - did you crop that image or does it show screen edge to screen edge ?

One possibility:
Screen cable loosened in shipment, but did not "fall off" enough to effect the display until after being handled.

And no, it will not be the screen itself.
But it could be some of the related parts, like the waveform hardware or cabling or cracks in the flat cabling or . . . .

Sorry, my crystal ball just re-booted.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That all sounds good.

One question about the image showing the font selections - did you crop that image or does it show screen edge to screen edge ?

One possibility:
Screen cable loosened in shipment, but did not "fall off" enough to effect the display until after being handled.

But it could be some of the related parts, like the waveform hardware or cabling or cracks in the flat cabling or . . . .

Sorry, my crystal ball just re-booted.
Well, at least the K3 is relatively easy to open up and give the parts a visual inspection.

There are "tear downs" indexed in our master prefix index sticky for the K3. In case you want to see what is involved in prying it open.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I take that back.

Those images might look that way if some of the e-ink particles where physically stuck, showing their "white" side up.

Would exposure to high temperatures do that? I am not sure.

But let's try to rule that one out - - -

Was the Kindle ever exposed to high temperatures?
Such as being left on the dashboard of a closed car with the sun shining on it?

Note to the non-USA readers :
We have parts of the country where you can fry an egg on the dashboard of a closed car sitting in the sun.
And every year there are at least a few people who fry their kid (or pets) by leaving them in a closed car.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

now that you say it i did leave it in the sun for a little while in a black bag outside while me and my friends were eating lunch outside.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you try to restore the Kindle to the factory firmware with no mods/jailbreaks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
now that you say it i did leave it in the sun for a little while in a black bag outside while me and my friends were eating lunch outside.
Just add that to the "maybe" column.

I don't recall any posts made by someone who tried to fry their Kindle.
And Amazon does (or did) advertise them being used on a beach.

The biggest clue is:
It worked when it arrived, it doesn't work now.

We could leave this thread open for a day or two, see if it collects anyone else's ideas.

But I think it is time to pry it open and visually inspect it for "delayed shipping damage" (or prior owner changes/repairs).
(It may have been sold because of this intermittent problem.)

Watch the teardown videos closely.
I cut up a credit card to use in getting mine open.
Luckily, the K3 is not one of the glued-together models.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
chr1st0ph3rc
Enthusiast

wow what a great community. The seller did offer a 30 day return policy so I may go with that if the cable is not the problem. Dang how do you guys know so much about kindles!https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif