Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #61
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not a particularly unusual word, is it? It's the point at which two (or more) rivers join.
its not, but i dont hear it used very much in normal conversation.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just because some humor seems appropriate.... Write Like the Wind
(There is some very mild profanity in the following YouTube video for those to whom that sort of thing matters)

(Spoilering the YouTube video only so it doesn't slow down the page-load times for those who aren't interested in it)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #63
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #64
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Thanks DD!
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #65
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Saw that video today on Pat's (Rothfuss) blog, great!
(Even if I still haven't read "A Dance with Dragons" so I can't really complain)
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #66
six58
six58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
i'm debating whether to wade into this series but am unsure if i should play safe and only grab the first ebook for now, or buy the 5 books in one which works out to getting two books for 'free' (compared to buying separately in australia).

i like the tv series but felt like i was missing something in S2, and am a fantasy fan in general. i loved the Riftware Saga series as an example but hated the Wheel Of Time series and gave up.

i'm worried i may be bored as some of the comments here suggest there's not a huge amount of evolution in the story arc.
six58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #67
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by six58 View Post
i like the tv series but felt like i was missing something in S2, and am a fantasy fan in general. i loved the Riftware Saga series as an example but hated the Wheel Of Time series and gave up.
I recently gave up on the first Wheel of Time book, but I absolutely love A Song of Ice and Fire. For me, Robert Jordan's characters lack "personality", they were just too thin for me to get interested in them.

If you read for plot, though, I wouldn't recommend the series because it is rather slow paced. The characters and the connections to British history are what I enjoy most about them.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #68
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The slower books are still an 8/10, for me. Still better than the best of many other series.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #69
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I recently gave up on the first Wheel of Time book...
I recall being rather bored with the first book for... I don't recall how long. Eventually it picks up though and is very good.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #70
six58
six58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I recall being rather bored with the first book for... I don't recall how long. Eventually it picks up though and is very good.
i dunno, i managed to persevere to book 5 (out of stubborness) but gave up in disgust when i found out book 7 or 8 (was a while ago now so can't recall exactly) still hadn't finished the series.

reading something else now so will think a bit longer about whether to buy one book or the 5-in-1. if i had an ebook library i'd probably do that but alas.
six58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #71
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Maybe. But I have so many stuff waiting to be read that I have come to the conclusion I am no longer young enough to wait for a book to get better if it doesn't do anything for me. In my youth, I was different of course.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #72
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Very, very tempted to attempt to read Book 1, but the length scares me
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #73
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
struggled though book one as it was so close to the tv show. Book 2 started to take it further away, this got me drooling. I have now started book 3. Yes loving it. I have to agree they are long but I enjoy that. I do find how book 3 and 4 are written on the same time line very odd and not sure how I will find it. I have to say the author seems the most dither headed person and just needs to sit his butt down and finish them. Even with so many things getting in the way of my reading the last two weeks I will be waiting for the next book.
for heavens sake man winter is coming

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce
I do find how book 3 and 4 are written on the same time line very odd and not sure how I will find it.
Actually, I think you mean books 4 and 5. Book 4 (A Feast for Crows) grew too large in the writing and he (and his publishers) decided to split the narrative into two books... different characters... same time line. Although when A Dance with Dragons finally saw the light of day, it wasn't quite the definitive "split" it was initially intended to be. There was a bit of overlap in the characters and Dance's timeline extends a little farther I think.

As to how you find it when you get there... everybody's different. I for one found it inexcusable for an author to release a whole (doorstopper of a) book that leaves out the favorite (and arguable most influential) characters of most readers. I bailed at that point. I'm not a big fan of treading water... I like to swim.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #75
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
yes sorry my mistake books 4 and 5. It is not as tho his books have this earth shattering stop point. There was no reason he could not have divided the book into 2 along the time line. Am I missing something, as in does he actually have a relevant end point to any of his books.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote