Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #31
malmhdy
Enthusiast
malmhdy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
sorry sir i dont know how to install and where i found files u said and how to install it i never do this nor used linux before
malmhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
malmhdy
Enthusiast

sorry sir i dont know to install on kindle in this mode and i dont know where to foud these files

iam waiting your help

Last edited by malmhdy; 04-14-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #33
malmhdy
Enthusiast

iam still waiting direction from developers
Old 04-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
If you cannot understand the threads we told you to read, you should at least read your own threads. Then answer questions that people asked you in those threads. If you do not answer my questions, I cannot help you. This thread still contains unanswered questions.

Please stop "bumping" a useless thread. If you want help, you should ask in a debricking thread AND you should answer questions developers ask you so they can help you.

With your current behavior in this forum (and in the PMs you sent), you are not helping yourself, and you are not making it possible for others to help you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 09:59 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #35
malmhdy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If you cannot understand the threads we told you to read, you should at least read your own threads. Then answer questions that people asked you in those threads. If you do not answer my questions, I cannot help you. This thread still contains unanswered questions.

Please stop "bumping" a useless thread. If you want help, you should ask in a debricking thread AND you should answer questions developers ask you so they can help you.

With your current behavior in this forum (and in the PMs you sent), you are not helping yourself, and you are not making it possible for others to help you.

sorry geekmaster for annoying you
but aread alot but also dont understand well and dont know how to enter kindle system files
i dont understand questions i will till what i reached
now i only know and can use usb device mode through mfgtool kindle diagnostic mode other modes fastboot and main kindle not working i dont know why but if selected one of them also menu of diagnostic mode appear on my kindle screen
till now i dont konw how to see system files and how to repair despite i read alot
i just needs steps in simple language and way to beginer like me
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #36
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
There just is no "simple way". You need to use Google for the parts you do not understand or ask explicitly about a specific error you are facing.

You are asking a bit too much of us, I'm afraid.

The next steps for you should be in the "simple debricking" thread that geekmaster linked: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

You will need a Linux install for this when you want to do it verbatim. I'm not aware of detailed instructions for Windows fastboot. So when you want to do it on Windows, you would need to do that on your own. And from what you tell, that seems to be no option. So get a Linux live CD (32bit is best for now) or a USB stick distribution. Learn how to open a Browser, download things and open a terminal window. You will need to get to that point alone, I think. There are _loads_ of guides on how to do that on the net. Just use Google.

#1: Bring your Kindle to Fastboot using MfgTool (in Windows)
#2: Bring up the Linux live CD (32bit!)
#3: use the "fastboot" tool, e.g. this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=26 that is readily compiled for 32bit OS
Use it to flash diags. Description in the thread linked above.

That's Milestone 1.

Then you can use SSH to log into diags. When you keep on using linux for this, the basic commands are also outlined in the linked thread.

We don't know exactly the nature of your problem (!!!). So the fit-all approach is to flash a new main image. You need to (a) find and (b) download an image file for that. It should be the mmcblk0p1 partition. Again, the steps are outlined in the linked thread in the OP.

However, I clearly feel that this might be over your head. You do not invest time to read up and learn what is needed. I can even tell from the time that passes until you bump this thread again and again. To learn all what is needed when you totally start from scratch, it will take _days_ and _weeks_.
We cannot help you then. Really.

Maybe you should ask someone to help you in person. Someone a bit more skilled with computers. Someone who _does_ understand the linked threads. I agree that it isn't always easy to find such a person. But it's your only hope. It's like you were asking us how to move single fingers when modelling a complex statue. That will only work if you pay a person to feel and move your hands. You cannot describe via mail how to exactly paint a picture, to hit keys on a score or to swim in water.

We're developers, mainly. We try and help if possible. But if you don't go and learn a lot of stuff on your own, we can not help you. No customer support in the world could go to such a basic level just mia Mail and not even by phone.

As for something completely different: Have you considered sending it back to Amazon?

I don't want to sound harsh, but this thread is pressing me since I started and wanted to help you. I'm seeing more and more that this might be impossible and that depresses me a bit.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #37
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
As for something completely different: Have you considered sending it back to Amazon?
Umm... Could that contribute to amazon locking down the next firmware version EVEN MORE than they did with 5.1.0?

After all, 5.1.0 now obfuscates the new framework code, and amazon also fixed the "tar bug" in the main boot mode that the hacks relied on. Luckily, we can adapt our hacks to use the tar bug in the diags partition, but this complicates things a bit.

Asking amazon for help in the same way as previous posts in this thread will only cause additional problems for us in the future, so IMHO your recommendation to go pester amazon instead of us may not be good advice in this particular case.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #38
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, yes, it might contribute. After all, the sole "valid" reason for locking it down is that customer support doesn't get impossible this way. So you are right, each hacked device sent back (I guess they won't look at each and every return) hurts the developers' ecosphere. However, that already got hurt when someone started hacking and wasn't able to oversee his actions.

Errm, and I certainly don't suggest to go and pester amazon. I guess the call to them will be short and definite. They won't even start to answer questions like those in this thread. They will tell to return the device and might reserve for claiming costs for repair.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
geekmaster

I think that the original poster in this thread did not answer my questions because of a language barrier issue. Perhaps before he can understand what we told him, he may need to study more English, and THEN come back and read the debricking threads. But it also sounds like he needs to learn basic computer skills, like how to cut and paste URLs, and how to type commands at a command prompt in a console window. At least that is the skill level that his posts in this thread seem to indicate, as far as I can interpret them.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #40
malmhdy
Enthusiast

thanks geekmaster i think that u dont said that u are useing linux i dont know any thing about it i was trying on windows 7 my problem is you are professional and iam not abegginer iam little begginer and also language and u write in american native english some times i am really dont under stand .. I still wounder what questions u said i searched thread and dont see any .
I asked also questions it seems stupid question to ask but really i have no choice u saying file names i dont know how to find it or reach it
The only thing i succeded in was that i enter diagnostic mode and can see my kindle content in usb mode
Dose i need linux to continue or need kindle firmware version need other programs
I dont know what is ssh
Iam sorry again for saying that again but i had ahope to repair it before exams ihad alot of docs on it for exam and i customed to study and read thier from kindle
From your post i guess there is no hope
And amazon may refuse to repair it and return as it is hacked kindle out of warranty ? True ?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #41
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmhdy View Post
thanks geekmaster i think that u dont said that u are useing linux i dont know any thing about it i was trying on windows 7 my problem is you are professional and iam not abegginer iam little begginer and also language and u write in american native english some times i am really dont under stand .. I still wounder what questions u said i searched thread and dont see any .
I asked also questions it seems stupid question to ask but really i have no choice u saying file names i dont know how to find it or reach it
The only thing i succeded in was that i enter diagnostic mode and can see my kindle content in usb mode
Dose i need linux to continue or need kindle firmware version need other programs
I dont know what is ssh
Iam sorry again for saying that again but i had ahope to repair it before exams ihad alot of docs on it for exam and i customed to study and read thier from kindle
From your post i guess there is no hope
And amazon may refuse to repair it and return as it is hacked kindle out of warranty ? True ?
DAMN! I just gave detailed answers to all these questions, with research and links. I answered points here and from all previous posts in this thread. I am so accustomed to using nano, that I did crtl-w to search for a "[/quote]" link, and the browser discarded ALL MY TEXT. This is NOT the first time that this has happened! Bummer!

I do not have time to answer them again. This just burned about an hour of my time on this.

Basically, what I said was: You can do everything from windows, using MfgTool, win32 fastboot, and PuTTY. The rotate hack is not compatible with firmware 5.0.1, and neither is its uninstaller. You need to download and flash the 5.0.0 main partition and kernel from the link I provided to the "simple debricking" thread. The "forensic" link at that post takes you to a page containing URLs to the files. You need to cut and paste those URLs to your web browser to download the files. This "link indirection" was done to prevent potential "link take down" notices for links to files that are critical to our successful debricking methods. You need to flash these files with a RUNME.sh script that you can find in the debricking threads (with a "dd" linux command in them) -OR- you need to use fastboot to flash diags_ssh, then exactly follow the instructions and type the linux commands into the kindle as provided in the debricking posts. You may need to zero out the /dev/mmcblk0p3 partition too (also done in various RUNME.sh scripts you can download from various posts). Then you can install the 5.1.0 update again. DO NOT install the rotate hack.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.