Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Screen problem

Travelling back from Japan I put the PRS-350 in my backpack. It has been in there for 32 hours and gone through two security checks. Now the screen is completely warbled. I tried resetting, reformatting but it remains and is probably getting worse.
Photo included. Does anyone recognize this problem? Since it is bought in Japan I can't really return it for warranty. So any ideas are welcome. There has to be some method of resetting the screen to factory setting, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0106.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	78020  
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The screen is broken. No amount of resetting will fix this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Broken? How can it break inside a backpack?
Not that I don't believe you. I'm just stunned.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Your are not allone with this problem and you'll find several threads here on that topic.

Problem is a technical one:

While the outside of the screen is a plastic foil, the material of the inner part is GLASS. It can break with moderate pressure. Imagine a thin glass plate in your backpack. Would it be possible to break it? With the right pressure in the right direction on the right point - I presume yes...

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-21-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I see, thought it was all plastic.
Wouldn't there be a visible crack?
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes of course. I guess the crack in your case is horizontal just on the boundary of the blackended part.

Sometimes it is more reproducible:

A.

Edit:
Additionally the glass is covered with a ADHESIVE FOIL (the EInk part) which could hide reflections of the crack.

Last edited by Analogus; 10-21-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Dang! What a bummer.
Having just returned home from Japan I can't even claim a warranty and I haven't even bought a single book for it (came pre-loaded with 10 titles)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Still, give Sony a call and see what they have to say. You have nothing to lose by trying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I was thinking that I'd write a letter and send it to Sony Japan and see what happens.
The frustrating part is that I was about 70% through an interesting novel.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The visible crack is on the inside of the screen. If you disassemble the unit, you will be able to see the crack clearly.

If you click on the image below, you can see a large pic of my husbands broken K1 that I disassembled (the screen looked just like the OP's pic). Where the arrows are, if you look closely under the "mesh," you can see where the glass is broken in the substrate.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Can it be fixed by just replacing the glass screen then?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic

No chance...
Glas, EInk-foil and plastic-cover-foil are one composit material. And I read somewhere that the electric wires for the display run on the glas. They will be destroyed when the glas breaks.

A.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Major bummer!
Payed ¥13000, close to $200 for the ability to purchase Japanese books.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Major bummer!
Payed ¥13000, close to $200 for the ability to purchase Japanese books.
Any chance at all of an exchange through the Japanese vendor? If you have friends in Japan, perhaps you can ship your reader to them and they would be willing to exchange it for you and ship you the replacement?

Och välkomnen till MR!
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I was bringing it out of the country I figured the warranty was pretty immaterial so I didn't bring the papers along. I'll send it to Sony and see what happens.