Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Mac OSX, iPad, iPod, & Nook
Converting RTFs with "\" line endings to Epub.

Since v.7.40 when I convert an rtf to epub in Calibre it changes the "carriage returns" to "\".

I have determined it does this with rtf's I have saved with Pages, TextEdit, Bean but not with Open Office and NisusWriter.

Upon further investigation it seems the documents have different control characters in them. Here is a sample of a document I have that was created elsewhere.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033\deflangf e1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fprq2\fcharset0 Verdana;}}
{\*\generator Msftedit 5.41.15.1503;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\fi283\sa120\qj\f 0\fs32 Dancing on Air \fs16 (v1.1)\fs32\par
\fs28 Nancy Kress, 1993\par
\fs20\par
\par
\par
"When a man has been guilty of a mistake, either in ordering his own affairs, or in directing those of State, or in commanding an army, do we not always say, So-and-so has made a false step in this affair? And can making a false step derive from anything but lack of skill in dancing?\par
-- Moliere\par
\par
\par
\par
\b\fs24 1.\par
\b0\fs20\par
Sometimes I understand the words. Sometimes I do not understand the words.\par
Eric brings me to the exercise yard. A man and a woman stand there. The man is tall. The woman is short. She has long black fur on her head. She smells angry.\par
Eric says, "This is Angel. Angel, this is John Cole and Caroline Olson."\par
"Hello," I say.\par
"I'm supposed to understand that growl?" the woman says. "Might as well be Russian!"\par
"Caroline," the man says, "you promised ... "\par
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Here is a sample of the same document with no changes at all but "Saved As" from TextEdit.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1038\cocoasubrtf35 0
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\vieww12000\viewh15840\viewkind0
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\fi283\sa120\qj

\f0\fs32 \cf0 Dancing on Air
\fs16 (v1.1)
\fs32 \

\fs28 Nancy Kress, 1993\

\fs20 \
\
\
"When a man has been guilty of a mistake, either in ordering his own affairs, or in directing those of State, or in commanding an army, do we not always say, So-and-so has made a false step in this affair? And can making a false step derive from anything but lack of skill in dancing?\
-- Moliere\
\
\
\

\b\fs24 1.\

\b0\fs20 \
Sometimes I understand the words. Sometimes I do not understand the words.\
Eric brings me to the exercise yard. A man and a woman stand there. The man is tall. The woman is short. She has long black fur on her head. She smells angry.\
Eric says, "This is Angel. Angel, this is John Cole and Caroline Olson."\
"Hello," I say.\
"I'm supposed to understand that growl?" the woman says. "Might as well be Russian!"\
"Caroline," the man says, "you promised ... "\
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Here is how Calibre interprets it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dancing on Air (v1.1)Nancy Kress, 1993\"When a man has been guilty of a mistake, either in ordering his own affairs, or in directing those of State, or in commanding an army, do we not always say, So-and-so has made a false step in this affair? And can making a false step derive from anything but lack of skill in dancing?\-- Moliere\1.\Sometimes I understand the words. Sometimes I do not understand the words.\Eric brings me to the exercise yard. A man and a woman stand there. The man is tall. The woman is short. She has long black fur on her head. She smells angry.\Eric says, "This is Angel. Angel, this is John Cole and Caroline Olson."\"Hello," I say.\"I'm supposed to understand that growl?" the woman says. "Might as well be Russian!"\"Caroline," the man says, "you promised ... "\
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Now I can always work around this but it seems it only started with the latest version upgrade since I have been using TextEdit right along to modify files and add them to Calibre and then convert them to epubs without problems.

I have found a book I converted from an RTF that has just the "\" end of line characters on Jan 13th that does not have this problem. So, the problem started with the last version (0.7.40) that I installed yesterday.

I have a book direct from Fictionwise that uses the "\" at the end of the line so it is not just my word processors that use those control characters.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
\f0\fs28 \cf0 ======================\
The Manamouki\
by Mike Resnick\
======================\
\
Copyright (c)1990 by Mike Resnick\
Hugo Award Winner\
\
Fictionwise Contemporary\
Science Fiction\
\

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have checked several other files that I converted to epubs before 1/15/11 and they are all OK even though their lines end with "\".

So, I am convinced 0.7.40 is converting rtfs differently than the older versions.

Heads up to anyone else converting rtfs to epubs.

Archon
Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Archon
Zealot
Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Archon , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Just a follow up.

I reverted to 0.7.38 and it converts these files just fine.

Archon
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
From the changelog:

"
RTF Input: Various code cleanups. Go back to trying to handle unicode mappings without pre-processing. This will mean that some RTF files that used to convert, won't anymore. Please open tickets and attach them.
"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Archon
Zealot

Thanks Kovid I missed that.

Archon