Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #17176
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm reading Island by Aldous Huxley, seems good so far.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #17177
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith, aka JK Rowling. A well done modern take on the standard private eye story, with a healthy dose of scorn for the lifestyles of the rich and famous. The detective and his secretary were very likeable, sort of a Perry Mason / Della Street vibe there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
to that...I'm 1/3 of the way into it...just ready to begin Part 3.

I also agree with both of you. I also am 1/3 of the way through the book.
I never read any of the Harry Potter books. I just could not get into them even though I tried, but I do like this book very much.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #17178
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I've just finished 'Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid' by Elizabeth Burton-Phillips, the heartbreaking story of how her twin sons' drug addiction affected her family. I was reading until the wee hours as I couldn't put it down. I hope publishing her story achieves her aim, Elizabeth hopes to save just one family from going through what she did.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #17179
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
WFantasy Adventures #2 also edited by Philip Harbottle [...]
I'm nearly finished [...], and then I'll move on to Wolverine's Daughter.
Another Dumarest story, but the others in the volume weren't much.
Wolverine's Daughter is an OK "barbarian"/adventure/magic story which I've read before, and enjoyed again, but is only average.

Next up: Fire Season by David Weber, from the August Baen Bundle. The second in his YA Stephanie Harrington/Treecats series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #17180
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Dead Dog by Nickolas Cook. It started off interesting but slid downhill rather quickly.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #17181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Wolf in Shadow & The Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading Wolf in Shadow by John Lambshead, a book I got in the latest Baen Monthly Bundle. I probably wouldn't have even read it, except that others have been saying good things about it. And they are right, it's quite fun.
Finished. It was good enough that I wasn't seriously tempted to put it down. But at this point, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another in the series, though if it were part of a bundle I was buying anyway, I'd likely read it. I'd give it a 3.5/5. There were parts that were really well done, and others where it was all just a bit much.

On to The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner. This is a library eBook that someone suggested I read. I can see why, but I'm kind of bogged down in the middle of it. The beginning was good, but it's dragging a bit right now. We'll see.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #17182
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

On to The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner. This is a library eBook that someone suggested I read. I can see why, but I'm kind of bogged down in the middle of it. The beginning was good, but it's dragging a bit right now. We'll see.
It gets much better. I very much enjoyed that whole series of books.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #17183
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Partly into "Deep Storm" by Jeffery Deaver. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with anything he's written, and "Deep Storm" has grabbed me just as tightly as any of his books. I can't wait to know what's going to happen next... and I've read it once before!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #17184
pinklotus
Enthusiast
pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pinklotus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
I am about halfway through Lionel Shriver's Big Brother and am loving it so far.
pinklotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #17185
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
It's going to have to, or I'll give up. Right now, I'm dreading yet another stupid "tale" about yet another god. Boring.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #17186
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Fire Season by David Weber, from the August Baen Bundle. The second in his YA Stephanie Harrington/Treecats series.
Me too. I still have 2 books to read in the main Honor Harrington series,but I took a break from it for a while.

Right now I'm reading an very good fantasy trilogy by James Hillebrecht. I picked up the second book (Upon This World of Stone) as a freebie from Amazon, so I have borrowed book one, A Rage in the Heavens from the Kindle Lending Library. And, in paper books, I'm almost finished with Irish Tweed by Andrew Greeley. It's the final book in his Nuala Anne McGrail mystery series.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #17187
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This time, it is The Takers, the first in a trilogy about Oz (with a dark/horror slant) from the author R W Ridley. This book won an IPPY award in 2006 so I'm hoping this is a fair indication of the quality I can expect.
OK - my mistake. Oz in this case is the nickname of the main character, Osmond. The blurb says it's a cross between Wizard of Oz and Stephen King. Hmmm - not really. And I think it stands better without the comparison.

It's a young adult fantasy apocalypse with some coming-of-age and a few lessons about not picking on disabled kids. It comes across pretty dark and starts with the line: "We killed the retarded boy."

BAM!

You start with a fairly low opinion of the main character but watch him redeem himself over the course of the story. The plot is very imaginative and, probably because of its target audience, a little loose with the details. The ending was sudden and a bit unsatisfying - but the journey was actually pretty cool. I think this would make a great little series for the young adult crowd. There are 6 books so far in the series so there should be plenty of material for the interested.

Now, I'm turning my attention to Buddenbrooks. My library just sent me a notification that my copy is now available so I'm heading on in to pick it up. Then it's 700+ pages of century old German literature (thankfully in English), so that I can contribute to the monthly Literary Book Club discussion. This might take a while.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #17188
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Then it's 700+ pages of century old German literature (thankfully in English), so that I can contribute to the monthly Literary Book Club discussion. This might take a while.
Hope it goes better for you than it did for Oates.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #17189
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Since reading A Short History of a Small Place last week, I'm on a T.R. Pearson binge.

Blue Ridge was quite darker, and much different in style than A Short History of a Small Place, but satisfying.

I'm midway through Cry Me A River, which has the digressive style I enjoyed so much in A Short History of a Small Place but clashes considerably with the requirements of a murder mystery. I'm schooling myself to not be impatient and to savor the moment.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #17190
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished a long-overdue re-read of "A Darkness at Sethanon", the final book in the original "Riftwar" trilogy by Raymond E. Feist. Classic fantasy, and a worthy successor to "Magician" and "Silverthorn". I think in many ways it would have been a good idea for Mr Feist to stop at this post; some of the later books he wrote in the series are pretty mediocre.

Now reading the equally classic (albeit in a different genre) "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" by Agatha Christie; the groundbreaking novel which really catapulted her to fame.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote