Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I've become bothered by the fact that I've read little of "classic" western literature. So, I want 20% or 25% of my reading to be from the canon.
That's food for thought. I have always meant to try some westerns, and read Riders of the Purple Sage this year as part of one of the MR Book Club nominations. I think I'll add a couple for this year - any suggestions? I was thinking of some Louis L'amour, perhaps?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #47
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Laundry Basket Challenge, in which I plan to read 25 of the unread pbooks I own. This is about clearing the decks in a way, but it's also about examining the impulse to buy books that I have no immediate plans to read. At the same time, I plan to hold the thought that owning a books is not sufficient justification to read it. Perhaps I've moved on, perhaps something is dated in itself or was simply a mistake--I want to be more thoughtful both about what I read and what I acquire. I'd also like to eliminate some of the physical and emotional clutter involved in books on shelves.
This is a challenge that I want to take on, too! Thanks for articulating it so well.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #48
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm so excited about what I want to read next year, that I am completely brain dead as to what to read for the remaining 11 days of this year. A Christmas Carol is just not holding my attention anymore.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #49
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's food for thought. I have always meant to try some westerns, and read Riders of the Purple Sage this year as part of one of the MR Book Club nominations. I think I'll add a couple for this year - any suggestions? I was thinking of some Louis L'amour, perhaps?
Ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
A Christmas Carol is just not holding my attention anymore.
I was reading a little of it each night before sleep, but then I became distracted another book, which was the first in a series...

Must.. finish.. Dickens
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #50
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm with you, Kevin8or. While I've read most classics, that was 50 years ago in many cases. So going back and visiting/re-visiting those classics makes sense. Reading 100 books? That's easy for me. But making sure that 20-25% of them are ones that might actually be considered "literature" or classics? Harder.
Even if you read them 50 years ago, they're part of you on some deep level. No, you can't quote them, but they've subtly contributed to the fabric of who you are.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Even if you read them 50 years ago, they're part of you on some deep level. No, you can't quote them, but they've subtly contributed to the fabric of who you are.
Certainly, they've contributed, but in some cases it's a bit more subtle than I'd like. Plus, reading them as an adult completely changes what one gets out of them. Plus, of course, many books I would classify as classics for the purposes of this challenge are also out of copyright, so I can read them without hurting the other part of my goal by having to buy them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #52
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
My Calibre library of unread books currently numbers 760........
I hear ya on a large library. On this last deployment, I graciously "inherited" 10GB worth of books, of which I only added 500MB worth of classic sci-fi so far.

I think next year I am going to go for page count vs. book count. I read 30 books in 6 months while on deployment and now that I am back the "free time" will be significantly less.

According to goodreads.com, I read a little over 7,000 pages during this challenge, so I think a reasonable goal will be 14,000+ pages for 2012 as well as finishing the Dune Saga, the Malloreon series, Lord of the Rings and the Narnia Chronicals.

Best of luck to everyone!!!
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #53
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
I'm grateful for this exchange because I had hoped to join in both a book club and this challenge. But it is all quite a bit to figure out in the month I've had my reader, so this makes feel much warmer/fuzzier about jumping in and constructing something suitable for me at this point.

I want to challenge myself to read and reduce my p-books while at the same time making the most use possible of my e-reader. I think 50 books for 2012 is a good start for me, since I'm just obsessive enough to want to surpass the number rather than fall short

And I want to challenge myself with a book club--reading and participating! (It's the second part that will be more difficult, I do believe.)

Thanks for the welcome and explanation given to spindlegirl; I shall warm myself in the reflected glow!

V

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Thank you and Issybird, I will happily stay in the challenge. I did not want to disrupt anything that I may have overlooked - I didn't really take it personally, but wanted to cooperate in the social construct of the challenge.

Yes, I do want to see how far I can go. I'd like to see how many e-pages I can read at least. (I find "number of titles" to be ambiguous for me as so many books are different sizes. "War and Peace" vs "The Pearl" haha) But my e-reader makes "just reading" for a few minutes here and there so desirable that it will be interesting.

Take care all!
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #54
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victauria View Post
I'm grateful for this exchange because I had hoped to join in both a book club and this challenge. But it is all quite a bit to figure out in the month I've had my reader, so this makes feel much warmer/fuzzier about jumping in and constructing something suitable for me at this point.

I want to challenge myself to read and reduce my p-books while at the same time making the most use possible of my e-reader. I think 50 books for 2012 is a good start for me, since I'm just obsessive enough to want to surpass the number rather than fall short

And I want to challenge myself with a book club--reading and participating! (It's the second part that will be more difficult, I do believe.)

Thanks for the welcome and explanation given to spindlegirl; I shall warm myself in the reflected glow!

V
Welcome to MobileRead, e-reading, the 2012 challenge and (hopefully) the book club(s)!!

The Book Clubs: The Book Clubs are located HERE. We have two - The Mobile Read Book Club which offers a different genre every month and the Literary Book club which concentrates on literature. You can join either (or both) at anytime. In the Mobile Read book club we are currently voting for the January 2012 selection. There was no nomination process, as January is our "2nd Place" category - we vote between all of the 2nd place books from Feb. to Dec. of the year before. Feel free to jump right in!

In the Literary Book Club, we are still reading December's selection, but its not to late to start. Discussions will not start until January 1st.

Hope to see you in one or the other.

Don't forget to reserve your spot in the Challenge thread list (see my signature for the link).

Happy Reading!

~Nyssa

Last edited by Nyssa; 12-22-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: fixed a million and one typos!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #55
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks, Nyssa! I'm jumping in and paddling fast. I think I voted for the next MR BC selection, and I think I got myself listed in the Challenge thread.

All too cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Welcome to MobilRead, ereading, the 2012 challenge and (hopefully) the book club(s)!!

~Nyssa
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #56
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by victauria View Post
Thanks, Nyssa! I'm jumping in and paddling fast. I think I voted for the next MR BC selection, and I think I got myself listed in the Challenge thread.

All too cool!
You are definitely listed. I've added your spot to the Participant ToC in the 2nd post of the list thread.

Plus, yes, I saw your vote at the BC.

I hope you have a great time here!!!

~Nyssa
Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #57
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I think in my case that my ambition for 2012 is to read more consistantly, rather than in spits and spurts,

I really really want to read more Literary books too,

Reducing the TBR list would be a great achievement, even if perhaps a little unrealistic, being a member of MR lends itself to the TBR growing daily!

It is of course all your faults mentioning interesting books without thought for other peoples TBR lists,

Book Club reads I have been woefully inadequate in keeping up with those, so to read at least half of the years choices is one of my goals,

Finding more International writers particularly in Mystery / Thrillers so far UK, US and Australian are about all I've read so must find others countries to try is a must,

And to read MORE independant authors too,

Well I guess thats enough for now at least!

Added :- I'll try to ignore others TBR lists ... I only add more to mine

Last edited by Kevin2960; 12-23-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Whoops - removed title I added. Wrong thread.
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #58
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I reached the challenge in 2011, but I also found myself reading some books because I was doing a challenge.

In 2012, I want to:

1. Read and enjoy 70 books. Edit: decided to make it 60.
2. Continue to discover new authors.
3. Reduce the amount of books on my Kindle, currently 102, to 50 or less. Edit: By reading or finally deciding I won't be reading it this year.

I guess I'll need to report my goals as follows:

1. Read "xxxx" and enjoyed it. A New author for me. Books on Kindle now "xxx."

Simple and hopefully attainable.

Dean

Last edited by RDaneel54; 12-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #59
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm a slow reader and I have a short attention span so my goal is to read 52 books in 2012.

I'm fickle when it comes to what holds my attention and can start a book, but if it doesn't 'hook' me in the first few chapters I tend to abandon it and start another.

I think I abandoned more books than I actually finished this past year.

Still one book a week would be pretty good for me so that's my goal .. should be fun.

Have fun reading everyone!
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #60
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I signed up for the 100 books in 2011 challenge and didn't even get halfway there! I've read 35 books so far this year. So next year, I'm going to challenge myself to read 50 books. And also, I want to clear out the 10 or 11 unread dead tree books that I have laying around (I'm not sure if I'm going to read them all though-there are a few I don't think I'm interested in that I might just take to the used bookstore.)
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote