Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
sigil and linux mint katya problem

Hi!

I've installed Sigil 0.3.4 on Linux Mint Katya as follows:

Quote:
sudo chmod +x Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin (makes the installation file executable)

sudo ./Sigil-0.3.4-Linux-Setup.bin (installs Sigil in /opt/sigil)
I get a sigil icon on my (non-root) desktop. But clicking on it doesn't run sigil. There's just a very brief flash like an outline box, then nothing!

But sigil does run if I open the desktop icon as administrator.

It seems the script the icon calls (/opt/sigil/sigil.sh ) requires root privileges.

Anyone know how to get sigil to run without root privileges?

Martin
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Try:
Code:
sudo chgrp -R users /opt/sigil
sudo chmod g+x /opt/sigil/sigil /opt/sigil/sigil.sh
This should work, provided that a group "users" is present on the system, and your user belongs to it. I don't have Mint here, so I can't either confirm it or suggest a more to the point solution.
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks.

Still the same issue, I'm afraid. Just in case I did something dumb, here's what I did.

My username wasn't a member of group 'users', so I added it.
Then I ran the two commands you suggested.
The file permissions that resulted in are:

Quote:
drwxr-xr-x 6 root users 4096 2011-06-09 11:37 sigil
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root users 585 2011-01-12 12:15 sigil.sh
Martin
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
why not execute /opt/sigil/sigil.sh from a terminal, and see what error messages you get?

On my Debian system, installing as root, running as user, everything works as it should without tweaking.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur

Quote:
why not execute /opt/sigil/sigil.sh from a terminal, and see what error messages you get?
Ok - I get over a thousand lines of errors of which the following are the last few:

Quote:
(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure

(<unknown>:4964): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'window-close' for stock: Internal error: Image loader module 'png' failed to complete an operation, but didn't give a reason for the failure

(<unknown>:4964): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (<unknown>:4964): CRITICAL **: murrine_style_draw_render_icon: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed

(<unknown>:4964): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_style_render_icon: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed

(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:4964): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
Segmentation fault
mjw@vm-mint-ufford ~/Desktop $
It must be a permisisons thing because Sigil works fine if I do
Quote:
sudo /opt/sigil/sigil.sh
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

After installing the Sigil 0.4 Linux beta version on Debian (LMDE), I can launch Sigil as a plain user using the command: /opt/sigil/sigil.sh either from a launcher in the main menu, from Alt+F2 or from a terminal.

I can also open any EPUB directly with Sigil. To obtain it, I added in the Properties box the same personnalized command as given above.

Everything working.

I installed Sigil on /opt. (total space used 52.8 M)

Last edited by roger64; 06-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Punch View Post
Thanks.

Still the same issue, I'm afraid. Just in case I did something dumb, here's what I did.

My username wasn't a member of group 'users', so I added it.
You have to exit your current session (you have to logout from the desktop, that is) and log in again, for the permission to be correctly applied. Try again this way, but I'm actually not confident in your success, because that "Segmentation fault" is a bit strange, especially since Sigil correctly runs when launched from the root user

Last edited by cuthbert19; 06-09-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: wrong quoting
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur

Ok - I've now got Sigil-0.4.0RC1-Linux-Setup.bin working.

I'm not really sure why it works for v 0.4 but not v 0.3.4!

I just repeated the two steps:

Quote:
sudo chmod +x Sigil-0.4.0RC1-Linux-Setup.bin
sudo ./Sigil-0.4.0RC1-Linux-Setup.bin
As before, the install placed a Sigil icon (+ padlock) on the desktop and installed Sigil in /opt/sigil. But this time double-clicking on the desktop icon fires-up Sigil.

The only other stuff I did was install the Qt 4.7 package in a failed attempt to compile Sigil (the compile didn't work).

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And many thanks for your help guys!

Martin