Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
zuma
zuma began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Broke my PW3, need advice on what to replace it with

Well I dropped my TV remote on my PW3 and broke the screen, so it's upgrade time. PW4 is currently on sale so I'd like to make a decision quickly on whether to get that or something else. Here are my thoughts/questions:

- I have read that the screen quality/contrast on the PW4 is not as good as the PW3. For those who have used both, what are your thoughts? I really don't want a downgrade in screen quality.

- Oasis is also a possibility. It's a lot more money, but at the same time I spend so much time with it it is probably worth it if the screen quality is superior to the PW4/PW3. I think I'd like the larger screen size too. Again for those who have used both, what are your opinions?

- Refurb Voyage or a Kobo is a possibility, but I imagine I'll stick to a Kindle as the 25% off for trading in my current one gives Amazon the edge I think. As far as Voyages go, I've heard they still have the best screen quality of anything out there, but really I'm just looking for something as good or better than my PW3.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
zuma

Forgot to add: Does the Oasis ever go on sale?
Advert
Old 09-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have the 2nd Oasis model, which I've used as my main reader since they were released. This summer I bought the newest Paperwhite to take on a beach vacation, because the Oasis battery chomps. I get about 15 hours of usable battery life. I keep the light turned up when reading during the day, use a large font, and read quickly, so lots of page turns.

After having the Paperwhite and using it a good deal, I've found I actually prefer the Paperwhite. It's just easier to hold, lighter, etc.

I never thought I would say that. I do like the larger screen of the Oasis, but it doesn't make as much difference as I expected. And I really dislike the page turn buttons, and rarely use them. The form factor is clunky for me, it's too square. When I read at night, I read with my glasses off, with the reader very close to my face. The larger screen means a wider column, which means more eye-travel, which results in muscle fatigue. If I increase the margins to shrink the column width, it defeats the purpose of the larger screen.

I do use the Oasis during the day, but the only feature I really miss is the auto-rotation. With the Paperwhite, screen rotation is done via menus, which isn't that big of a deal.

The Paperwhite is also a much better buy for the money IMO, and they are on sale for $89.99 right now.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Mine is another vote for the Paperwhite 4. I just returned from a trip where I deliberately left my Oasis 2 at home and chose to bring the Paperwhite instead. I never felt it was the wrong choice. The battery lasts much longer and I don’t notice much difference at all with screen quality between these two devices. The larger screen makes no real difference to me, I do like the page turn buttons but the smaller size / lighter weight / longer battery life make the Paperwhite my first choice.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If you don't mind sidloading books via Calibre, Kobo Libra would be the way to go. $80 - $100 less than the equivalent Oasis off the top beats a palty trade-in, and you won't be downgrading screen quality from the PW3.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
If you want to stick with Kindle, get the Paper white 4, now in blue! The PW4 is a really nice device. I wouldn't spend more on a Kindle, to get an Oasis, I mean.

To switch to Kobo and and get the new Libre, as suggested above, is an even better idea! But I know a lot of Kindle users want to stay with Kindle.

Oh and BTW since you brought up the Voyage...my personal experience and opinion is that I like the PW4 MUCH better than the Voyage. (I have both). The screen, the lighting, the text, I like the PW4 better in every respect. The voyage is thinner, which I like, but for reading, the PW4 is better.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-23-2019 at 05:38 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #7
zuma

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went to Best Buy to take a look at the PW4 and Oasis. I felt I liked the screen on my PW3 more than the PW4, and the Oasis was gorgeous (but yeah, expensive). I ended up buying a refurbished PW3 from Amazon, since I know I was happy with that.

In the end I figured I could live without the waterproofing, the recessed screen never bothered me, and I don't care about Audible. Hopefully I'll be more careful with this one. I'd left it lying on the floor next to the couch and knocked my TV remote off the table which landed on the kindle.