Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Savory for Kindle International

Hello.

I've adapted Savory to work on the Kindle International.

Savory gives you the ability to convert PDF, OTF, HTML and other type directly on the Kindle.

It will soon be available on Savory main page as well as the google code page; but in the mean time you can get it there:
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/Savory-0.07.tar.gz

Also included are the version for Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, though I haven't checked them (I'm fairly confident it will work fine)

What's new:
-New installer / uninstaller: now you can update directly to a new version without having to first uninstall the older version with the uninstaller that came with it. The uninstaller will also properly restore any changes done by the installer, even if you have installed other programs later on.

-The EXT3 binary image has been renamed to savory-image-007.ext3 in order to match the version of the package and to prevent complaining about issues because they were using an old disk image

How to use: make sure you read the official Savory page:
http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/savory.html

To install it on the Kindle 2 International, you must have first installed the update: http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/updat...kindle-k2i.bin
This is to be done once only ; if you have done it before, it's not necessary anymore.

To use: copy the file savory-image-007.ext3 in the system folder on your kindle.
Then copy the appropriate update_Savory-0.07 bin file for your kindle.

To get Savory to convert your files, copy any 'epub','lit','odt','rtf','oebzip','fb2',or 'pdf' file in the document folder.
To start the native conversion ; you must unplug the USB cable from the Kindle.

Let me know if you have any issues...
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
khyros
khyros began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (int)
Thanks for this post, just what I was looking for.

I've had my kindle for 3 days and I'm loving it. For it to be perfect I just need to be able to read scientific papers in PDF, and Savory seems perfect for this.

I have a couple of questions!!

- The update to "jailbreak" the kindle international edition.. can it be undone?
I mean, I have to copy the bin file to the system folder, then go to settings and "install update". Ok, what if something goes wrong? Can I just delete the bin file?
Is there any way to revert back to the original OS? just like iPhones..

- To install Savory I need to copy the ext3 file and the bin, then go to install update? Same question as the previous one, how can I leave the system as it was before trying anything?

Is there any sort of mode like the "DFU" recovery mode in the iPhone, in which you can restore the OS in case you mess things badly?

Thanks!!
khyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You currently can't undo the jailbreak. But unlike the iphone that needs to patch the kernel in many places ; on the Kindle it's nothing like that.
We just add an extra RSA keys to the list of keys. Absolutely ZERO files are being modified.

So I'd say the likelyhood of something going wrong is extremely close to nil.

To install Savory, copy the ext3 on the Kindle "system" folder once mounted via USB.
The copy the update_Savory file at the root of the Kindle, eject the Kindle from the PC and go into Menu -> Settings -> Update Your Kindle

To completely remove all trace of Savory, install the same way the update_RemoveSavory binary image and update the kindle.
it will revert everything...

There's a restore mode on the Kindle, which you access while booting with the "HOME" button pressed. Not sure what you can do from there..
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
khyros

great, thanks.

Will I need to uninstall Savory when Amazon comes up with an update?
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by khyros View Post
great, thanks.

Will I need to uninstall Savory when Amazon comes up with an update?
Yes..

You will have to uninstall *all* extra hacks, not just Savory.

Should be fine with the freekindle package, unless Amazon deliberately test for the existence of that file
Advert
Old 11-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
khyros

Thanks!

I just followed all instructions and Savory is finally installed (checked in settings) however I copied a PDF file and nothing happens...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
jyavenard
Zealot

Remember you have to do the following to get it working:
-Copy the ext3 file in the "system" directory
-Install the update_Savory file
-Put the Kindle in USB Drive Mode
-Copy the PDF file in the "documents"
-Unmount the Kindle
-Disconnect the USB kindle to start the scanning of the documents folder.

If you have installed the ext3 file, after installing the bin file ; then you will have to reboot the Kindle once again. Savory wouldn't have started otherwise
Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
macaiba
macaiba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Hi, jyavenard.

First, thanks to you and Jesse for Savory. I've just installed Savory into my Kindle 2 International.

Savory could successfuly convert some books from http://www.planetebook.com/, but did not for some scientific papers I tried.

Maybe there is some protection/permission which make convertion fails.

Is there any log available to see what Savory could and could not do ?

Do you know any tool to get a report of a .pdf file about restrictions, protections, etc ?

Thanks again.
Joao Macaiba.
macaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
jyavenard
Zealot

What happened when you try to open the PDF file on its own? does it work?

Can you post a PDF that fails somewhere?

You should see a text file on the Kindle when it fails...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
macaiba
macaiba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Hi, jyavenard.

When answering to your questions, I've thought on rebooting Kindle ... The converted 'rabiner.pdf' (there's link below) have appeared.

Either I haven't noticed the conversion process after reboot or the conversion was very fast. As soon as the 'home list' appeared there there was the entry for the converted (into images) 'rabiner.pdf'.

Q1. What happened when you try to open the PDF file on its own? does it work?

I've transfered some .pdf to my Kindle and they have not been converted: even the convertion process have not started.

Q2. Can you post a PDF that fails somewhere?

Sure.

--- snip ---
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Bayes/rabiner.pdf
--- snip ---

Q3. You should see a text file on the Kindle when it fails...

This file have not appeared in the 'home list'. I've even search for it via file system but haven't found it either.

This fact lead me to try a reboot. After that the converted file has appeared in the 'home list'.

Below it the list of files in my Kindle *before restart*:

--- snip ---
/Volumes/Kindle/
|-- audible
|-- documents
| |-- Beyond-Good-and-Evil.pdf.mbp
| |-- Beyond-Good-and-Evil.pdf.mobi
| |-- Kindle s User s Guide 1st Ed-asin_B002KE45MI-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
| |-- Kindle s User s Guide 1st Ed-asin_B002KE45MI-type_EBOK-v_0.mbp
| |-- Kindle_Users_Guide.azw
| |-- Kindle_Users_Guide.mbp
| |-- rabiner.pdf
| |-- the_principia-isaac_newton-8mobi.mbp
| `-- the_principia-isaac_newton-8mobi.prc
|-- music
|-- savory-archive
| `-- Beyond-Good-and-Evil.pdf
|-- savory-conversion-temp
| `-- from-pdf
| `-- 6240
| |-- page-0001.pgm
| `-- page-0100.pgm
`-- system
|-- Search Indexes
| |-- Index.db
| |-- Index.lg
| |-- y0343e13089465162f5b12ad82602f9a6
| |-- ydfc426714a7fb5298e5c04064592e6c7
| `-- yf789c0eeb7e9d41208bb4e98ced1105c
|-- com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader
| `-- reader.pref
`-- savory-image-007.ext3

10 directories, 117 files
--- snip ---

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Joao Macaiba.
macaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaiba View Post

Q1. What happened when you try to open the PDF file on its own? does it work?

I've transfered some .pdf to my Kindle and they have not been converted: even the convertion process have not started.

Q2. Can you post a PDF that fails somewhere?

Sure.

--- snip ---
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~murphyk/Bayes/rabiner.pdf
--- snip ---
Works fine here.
The text conversion obviously fails as this PDF is made of images only.
The image conversion works however..
Hard to read on a 6" screen

Quote:
`-- savory-image-007.ext3

10 directories, 117 files
--- snip ---

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Joao Macaiba.
Remember that the PDF conversion will only starts once you physically unplug the USB cable..
Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #12
blade_2708
blade_2708 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K2i
Hi, I'm new in the forum and I've registered just to ask this question. I've installed savory 0.07 and works fine, but now I'd like to update my device with the latest update by Amazon but I can't remove savory from my Kindle. The update button is grayed out each and every time, even if I try to re-install savory... Can somebody help me please?
blade_2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_2708 View Post
Hi, I'm new in the forum and I've registered just to ask this question. I've installed savory 0.07 and works fine, but now I'd like to update my device with the latest update by Amazon but I can't remove savory from my Kindle. The update button is grayed out each and every time, even if I try to re-install savory... Can somebody help me please?
Install the right uninstaller on your Kindle then run it. Check the file name and use the right one.

Once done ; run the Kindle 2.3 update.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
blade_2708
blade_2708 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K2i
ok, sorry for my ignorance, but which one is the right uninstaller? I cannot find the uninstaller for the 0.07 version of a k2i... just to be sure that I'm doing the right thing... thanks for helping me anyway! And also for savory, it's an amazing software!
blade_2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
chasseurmic
chasseurmic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Here's another question: can I just keep my current Kindle OS version and keep using Savory w/o dis-installing it? I don't care about Amazon sw update as long as I can still use my Kindle and read .epub books format. And btw, who cares about the new OS doing PDF-conversion when savory already does it right now?

Can someone point out the benefits of upgrading? And should there be any, will I be able to re-install savory after that? Has anyone tried yet?

Thank you!
chasseurmic is offline   Reply With Quote