Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an iRex Digital Reader?
No, iRex products are not among my choices. 27 22.88%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 Base. 8 6.78%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 S (touch screen). 35 29.66%
Yes, I would buy the DR1000 SW (touch screen, connectivity). 31 26.27%
No, I would stick to the iRex iLiad. 17 14.41%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is the iRex Digital Reader your next device?

So iRex came out with the big news of launching a new e-book reader... the iRex Reader DR1000 Series.

If you were to buy a new e-book device today, would you buy one an iRex? If yes, which one would you buy?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So iRex came out with the big news of launching a new e-book reader... the iRex Reader DR1000 Series.

If you were to buy a new e-book device today, would you buy one an iRex? If yes, which one would you buy?
I do want a 9-10 inch device for work documents and technical books that generally need more room to display code and charts and diagrams. However, I will be waiting to see what Plastic Logic and Astak (maybe Sony will announce too) come out with. I am in no hurry to acquire a large format reader at this time.

BOb

EDIT: Your pool doesn't have a vaid response for me. It should say "I would consider...".
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Tough call. My Iliad just died, 400 Euros to repair. I'm waiting to see what the Plastic Logic looks like and would like to see how usable the new Irex product is. Can I live without a touch screen?
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I am definately going to get one of those. DR1000S first, The SW when it comes out. But i might not be your average Joe
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Tough call. My Iliad just died, 400 Euros to repair. I'm waiting to see what the Plastic Logic looks like and would like to see how usable the new Irex product is. Can I live without a touch screen?
What did you do to it, that it costs 400 Euros to repair???
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm looking at them real hard, depending on how they handle a few specific details, I may be buying a couple (one for me one for my wife, probably one at a time), and recommending them to a couple dozen friends and colleagues.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I think that I'll be waiting and buying the SW. As much as I'd like to replace my iLiad with the S and then get the SW later on, I can't afford it.

Waiting until 2009 to buy it will be tough though...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's way too soon to tell. I want to wait and see what peoples' opinion of the software is, and how fragile that screen is before I come to any decision.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I will buy as soon as FBReader is available, and I'm probably getting the DR1000S (since FBReader works best with a touch screen) unless there is a better web browser than currently on the iLiad. If Qt works on the DR1000SW then there is a good chance of a better web browser. I don't buy the EInk isn't good for web browsers argument by the way. Greyscale is a disadvantage, but most web pages are static (or at least the bits we care about are) and work perfectly well on EInk.

If you want to run 3rd party apps, the don't get the DR1000. Almost all Linux GUI-based apps assume you have a pointing device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I think that most here aren't the target audience (apart from all you gadget freaks ). I think most people will be waiting for a colour reader at this size for use with magazines and graphic novels. I know I am.

I'll just stick with my smaller form factor for reading novels.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
... apart from all you gadget freaks ....
The first step to getting help is admitting you have a problem ... and I don't have a problem with being a gadget freak.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I will wait - PlasticLogic and Astak could be interesting, and I really do want to know what others write about this little stuff of hard- and software. There are simple too many open questions (real Batterylife, screen stability, speed, suspend, when will their be a SDK, etc).
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
i'll first have to see how much they're willing to improve the iLiad's OS first, before considering buying something else from them.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
I will wait - PlasticLogic and Astak could be interesting, and I really do want to know what others write about this little stuff of hard- and software. There are simple too many open questions (real Batterylife, screen stability, speed, suspend, when will their be a SDK, etc).
Don't forget the Sony annoucement for Oct 2nd. All these new readers are so pretty (yes, I'm very visual and that's why I don't have a Kindle). I'll wait for all of them to come out and then decide but so far the iRex is my #1 choice for a 2nd reader this December!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
http://irextechnologies.com/dr1000images/dr_menu.jpg

Look at that screen, the interface. I think I'm in love.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote