Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #136
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
[...]I expect to publish my second novel, and to finish writing my third novel. If these don't happen then I'm in real trouble (won't be the first time).[...]
Completed the first draft of my third novel tonight (204,000 words, I imagine it will come down from that on subsequent edits). It's quite a relief to finally have the story out. Obviously lots to do on it yet, but I'll put it away for a month or two and hope that it still looks okay when I come back to it.

Now (or after fulfilling some work commitments) I can finally return to my second novel and try to get it ready to publish. It has been through several drafts already, but I haven't touched it in months. I hadn't intended to put it off this long, but the third novel wouldn't leave me alone.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful!
Congratulations gmw!

I've been scarce around here (and will likely continue to be scarce) but I'm quickly approaching what I'm going to call completion of my science essay/article compilation I'm calling "How do we Know?" which will be a collection of 13 shortish (1000-3000 word) non-fiction articles but with a bit of creative non-fiction slant to them, but not totally personal essays. I need to complete one more draft essay and then pull it all together into the full book. It going to be a bit shorter than yours gmw at only about 20-25k words. I hope to have it completed by end of July and will likely self-publish, but still considering options.

I will be doing a full mid-year status at the end of the month and will post my more detailed progress, plans, changes then.

Last edited by kennyc; 06-23-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #138
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wonderful!
Congratulations gmw!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #139
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This being the last day of the first half of the year I've assessed my current status.

As of the last week I've completed the draft of "How do we Know" which consists
of 13 science articles/essays on a variety of topics from the Milky Way Galaxy to Cellular Communications, and Human/Artificial Intelligence. It is about 25k words total and I've worked through revisions on all of the individual pieces (some several times) and need to do a full final revision and will be ready for self-publication in the next few weeks. (unless I change my direction at the last minute)

I've completed 4 additional pieces for my personal memoir collection "Growing Up Stories"

6 additional creative non-fiction essays (some published on my blogs)

2 fiction pieces
and
16 poems

Of course many partially completed pieces of fiction, nonfiction and a bit of work towards a novel.
I'm guessing maybe 50k words total which would average out to about 275 words a day, really only 1/4 of what I was hoping for at the beginning of the year, but still feel reasonably good about it.

Last edited by kennyc; 06-30-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #140
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am behind...but I am an artsy type now right? So that is okay... only about 45k words in to book 5....
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #141
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I am such a slacker!

But I've got two short stories near completion and three past the outline stage.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #142
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I am behind...but I am an artsy type now right? So that is okay... only about 45k words in to book 5....
Excellent!
Old 06-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #143
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I am such a slacker!

But I've got two short stories near completion and three past the outline stage.
That's good stuff!

I think I'm a slacker too since I'm supposed to be approaching this as a full-time job...(at least in spirit if not remuneration).
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #144
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[...]I'm guessing maybe 50k words total which would average out to about 275 words a day, really only 1/4 of what I was hoping for at the beginning of the year, but still feel reasonably good about it.
Poetry has got to cut the word count down a bit, Kenny. It's been many years since I wrote any, but I seem to remember it being a very slow business. ... Come to think of it, the non-fiction isn't likely to happen quickly either (the research to output ratio is pretty high).

I've managed a higher count, mostly written in the wee hours of the morning, but most of that has been first draft stuff. Now that it's time to go back and prepare the previous novel for publication, my average is going to drop back pretty steadily for a while.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #145
kennyc

Yes to all of that. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #146
kennyc

After a really busy week I've completed one of my major goals the collection of science essays "How do we know?"

Now I need to get moving on the memoir collection or something....

It's always a bit strange finishing something up eh? Not sure what to do next.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #147
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Congrats Kenny.

As for what to do next. I keep thinking that it should feel good, relaxing or something, to get to the end of something major, instead it just feels empty. ... But, by the grin at the end of your post, I suspect the void isn't going to remain empty for you for long - that's got to be a comfort.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #148
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
After a really busy week I've completed one of my major goals the collection of science essays "How do we know?"

Now I need to get moving on the memoir collection or something....

It's always a bit strange finishing something up eh? Not sure what to do next.
Woo-hoo!

Now, back to work!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #149
kennyc

Ain't it so!

Thanks Man!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #150
M.T. Miles
Enthusiast
M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M.T. Miles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Congrats on finishing your project. Enjoy.
Closed Thread