Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
el34han
el34han began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Chinese on Nook touch ?

Has anyone read Chinese on Nook touch?
How good,or bad, does Nook touch handle Chinese?
el34han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Nook's default fonts have no Chinese (Japanese or Korean) script support. But assuming the ebook embeds fonts, Nook will display those if you turn on the 'Publisher Defaults' option.

The problem with PD is that most, but not all, of the books I've tried this with wind up with zero width line spacing. That certainly would look bad in any language, but I'm not sure what factors determine when this behavior kicks in. It's possible that the books that have issues don't actually use embedded fonts, or the opposite. I need to do some experimentation to narrow down the problem.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
SteveDuck
SteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-booksSteveDuck has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook STR
Here's a link to a thread by tigerszheng, who might know:

issues in third-party IME input(Simple Chinese)
SteveDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
yes, you can display the chinese character well, the options is

1. root the STR, change the system font

2. modify the css file to support font in sd card.
tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
jackslao
jackslao began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerszheng View Post
yes, you can display the chinese character well, the options is

1. root the STR, change the system font

2. modify the css file to support font in sd card.
Hi,

Can you show me how this can be done? I've been playing around with this for 2 days already and I can't figure it out...

I kept having question mark boxes on the epub book when I use library. The mobi file for kindle works though...
jackslao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Correction: Nook will display embedded fonts. Publisher defaults setting has nothing to do with it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
thawk
Connoisseur
thawk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackslao View Post
Hi,

Can you show me how this can be done? I've been playing around with this for 2 days already and I can't figure it out...

I kept having question mark boxes on the epub book when I use library. The mobi file for kindle works though...
The android fallback font has fully support of UNICODE. You can force using that font in the css file inside your epub.

Maybe you can have a look at hi-pda.com, a Chinese forum, which you can find some tutor. You don't need to register to see the posts.

Last edited by thawk; 07-05-2011 at 04:34 AM.
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
it looks that you have rooted your STR.

the simplest way is to replace one of system fonts to one font which support chinese character. I use msyh to replace GillSans. (the font files is located in /system/fonts)

or you can refer to some threads in hi-pda.com/forum which recommmended from thawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackslao View Post
Hi,

tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
aso1964
aso1964 began at the beginning.

Hi, jackslao

I hope your problem with chinese character have been solved. But if you haven't, i think i might have the solution, i am from Myanmar and i have rooted the device, i also tried to change fall back font for nook touch with root explorer without success, . So here is what i did, first i copied original fonts folder from nook touch with root explorer, which is in "device>system>fonts" and paste it to my desktop, then i rename "zawgyi.ttf" (which is burmese fonts) to "DroidSansFallback.ttf" (in your case it should be HDZB_75.TTF or something follow by .ttf, you just figure it out) and paste it(replaceDroidSansFallback.ttf) to original fonts folder which i have copied earlier.
Now, i told you i have rooted my nook touch, in case you haven't and don't know how to root your str here is the link (http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/07/...outube-how-to/). After you have rooted your str, take out sd card and copy your modified fonts folder to that sd card, like this (TOUCHNOOTER(*)>nooter>system>fonts)
and root your str again with sd card. That is, your are done, you don't even have to embed fonts in the document, and i can read web pages which was written in Myanmar fonts too. (sorry if my instruction is too complicated)

Last edited by aso1964; 07-23-2011 at 02:49 AM.
aso1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
aso1964
aso1964 began at the beginning.

Hi, jackslao

I hope your problem with chinese character have been solved. But if you haven't, i think i might have the solution, i am from Myanmar and i have rooted the device, i also tried to change fall back font for nook touch with root explorer without success, . So here is what i did, first i copied original fonts folder from nook touch with root explorer, which is in "device>system>fonts" and paste it to my desktop, then i rename "zawgyi.ttf" (which is burmese fonts) to "DroidSansFallback.ttf" (in your case it should be HDZB_75.TTF or something follow by .ttf, you just figure it out) and paste it(replaceDroidSansFallback.ttf) to original fonts folder which i have copied earlier.
Now, i told you i have rooted my nook touch, in case you haven't and don't know how to root your str here is the link (http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/07/...outube-how-to/). After you have rooted your str, take out sd card and copy your modified fonts folder to that sd card, like this (TOUCHNOOTER(*)>nooter>system>fonts)
and root your str again with sd card. That is, your are done, you don't even have to embed fonts in the document, and i can read web pages which was written in Myanmar fonts too. (sorry if my instruction is too complicated)
aso1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Almakos
Almakos has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook Touch
for non-rooted here I wrote how managed to make it to work
Almakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
localbuyer
localbuyer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Almakos' method works perfectly on my Nook STR. No rooting is needed.

Thanks
localbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
jo2k
jo2k began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
localbuyer, you mean it worked on your Nook STR with this CSS conversion?

@font-face {
font-family: "DroidFont", serif, sans-serif;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
}
@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
}
body { font-family: "DroidFont", serif;}
jo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #14
localbuyer
localbuyer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
I just copy and paste the css code from Almakos' message.

I used Calibre.

It won't work until you set the "Use Publisher Default" in your Nook STR. You need to open the book first then go to font setting to check the option in your STR.
localbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
khin99
MHK99
khin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkhin99 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: prs 505, nook color, Kindle Fire, Nexus 7
I think aso1964 solution may be the best if you are going for one particular font. I have been struggling with font embed in epub for some time, messing with extra css in calibre and a few plugin to calibre. Some work some do not. I tried aso1964 method and the font displayed correctly on the first try. I suppose when the reader couldn't render a font it will fall back on droidfallback font. Therefore copying your font to the root fonts folder with droid fonts and renaming your font as droidfallback will work. The only thing is Myanmar language has three or four popular fonts which means you will have to do this procedure again and again for other fonts. Right now I have installed zawgyi-one in my nook and sony 505 and can read myanmar epubs now. I still have to try out wininnwa, padauk and myanmar3 fonts.
khin99 is offline   Reply With Quote