Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see the need for unrestricted wireless or 3g because it's an electronic reader, not a netbook or laptop. I agree that since Sony supports so many different file types, that it would be really awesome to browse and purchase books from other ebook stores. However, I'm not sure how well the reader can navigate and purchase books through other stores since it has no real keyboard and refresh rates on e-ink devices do take awhile. So I'm not sure how easy or "fun" it would be trying to navigate someone else's website that isn't setup to be browsed on a Sony reader.

I would be happy if I could purchase ebooks from other retailers through my desktop and load them up via wi-fi to my reader without having to go through a cable (USB) connection every time. Kind of like Stanza on the iphone/itouch and calibre. Store all the books on one software like Calibre and be able to access that library through a wireless connection.

Just my opinion but I'm sure everyone would like to be able to do different things with their reader based on their own preferences.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I agree that since Sony supports so many different file types, that it would be really awesome to browse and purchase books from other ebook stores.
The Sony doesn't particularly support a lot of different file types. It's an ADE device, like pretty much every other reader (except Amazon) on the market is, hence it supports ePub and PDF. It has rather limited support for plain text and RTF. That's pretty much it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
It would be kind of great if there were a standard for ebook stores to present their catalogues. That way any client software could present a store, including an ebook reader with wireless of some sort (WiFi or 3G or otherwise).

A very interesting idea, not sure what any store would get out of it - it would just drive down prices across the board. Would be cool though.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I would like to see RSS feeds, to me they are pretty much the same as a newspaper subscription. However I dont think they need, nor do I want them, to open up the wifi completely. I think a model similar to Calibre would work fine, in our Sony software you 'subscribe' to a feed and then get it downloaded daily with the rest of your subscriptions. That would give Sony some control over it still and even let them charge a small fee for the service, which I'd be happy to pay (assuming it was small enough).

Opening up the reader and letting it surf the web is not some thing I'm interested in. Sure there is a lot of content out there that you can read, but there is a whole lot more of it that you cant, or that is not compatible with the eReader screen, dimensions, and experience.

The biggest advantage I see for wifi would be to let you connect to a home network to get your books from a server or desktop computer.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
I hope sony devices can support wifi or bluetooth and be connected to the computer wirelessly. It would be great if we can send notes, articles or whatever material to the device with a simple right click and "Send to" command, just like we do with MS onenote software or a flashdisk.
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony doesn't particularly support a lot of different file types. It's an ADE device, like pretty much every other reader (except Amazon) on the market is, hence it supports ePub and PDF. It has rather limited support for plain text and RTF. That's pretty much it.

Oops. What I should have said is that a lot of other ebook store sell books that are directly supported by the sony readers (Adept EPUB).
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Yottie
Yottie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
One thing I would like to see Sony do is to put their not inconsiderable multinational corporate weight behind securing some sensible international agreements with publishers (and possibly governments) which would make eBooks available internationally at comparable prices and within comparable timeframes.

For me, this is more important than bluetooth wifi access - my reader always holds far more books than I am likely to read before I next have access to my laptop (for synchronisation)anyway, and the laptop is a much better tool for general browsing.

Apart from which....what's the point of having "hot access" if we have to wait for the next "hot novel" to become available in e-readable format ?

Last edited by Yottie; 01-02-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Yottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yottie View Post
One thing I would like to see Sony do is to put their not inconsiderable multinational corporate weight behind securing some sensible international agreements with publishers (and possibly governments) which would make eBooks available internationally at comparable prices and within comparable timeframes.

For me, this is more important than bluetooth wifi access - my reader always holds far more books than I am likely to read before I next have access to my laptop (for synchronisation)anyway, and the laptop is a much better tool for general browsing.

Apart from which....what's the point of having "hot access" if we have to wait for the next "hot novel" to become available in e-readable format ?
Sony is not going to have any pull with publishers despite their size, at least not even close to Amazon.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open internet