Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #46
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I went back to K1 and Sony T1.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #47
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
It became painfully clear that I would not get used to it, on the first day it was cold enough to wear gloves.

Now to read on the train platform with the Paperwhite I have to stand there wearing one glove like a shivering low-budget Michael Jackson.

The KK's buttons were perfection; everything else on the Paperwhite I love.

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 04-09-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #48
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I got used to the no page turn buttons within five minutes. For me, the screen tap and slide is so much more intuitive and book like. My only concern was fingerprints on the screen and that has never been an issue. Love my Paperwhite. Of course, I live in South Florida so no glove issues here.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #49
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Lots of places sell gloves that can be used on all the modern touch screen devices. They're everywhere now. You don't need to freeze or look like an 80's throwback.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #50
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Lots of places sell gloves that can be used on all the modern touch screen devices. They're everywhere now. You don't need to freeze or look like an 80's throwback.
Expensive solution:

https://www.google.com/search?q=touchscreen+gloves

Cheap solution:

https://www.google.com/search?q=conductive+thread {just sew a little loop of it into the thumbpad area}
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #51
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Paperwhite Touchscreen

I love everything about the Paperwhite except the page backward action. I can never find the sweet spot when using my thumb and end up losing my place. I have to change hands so that I can swipe left to right to go back and even then I tend not to trust that I have got to the right place. I really miss those clicky buttons.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #52
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I hold the PW in my left hand most of the time and I find the reaching over really annoying compared to the page turn buttons.
No need to reach over at all, just a tiny swipe forward or back (less than 0.5") and you're there.

I always read one handed and find the touch screen to be a much better and less intrusive way of changing a page than physical buttons were.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
BugA does seem to be right. But swiping from left to right... takes you backward! I just thought it was going backward because I was tapping the left page back zone with my thumb. It seems counterintuitive to me to sweep right and go left, and vice versa, but in practice it's very easy to get accustomed to.

Love the Paperwhite!
Actually it simulates the way you would move through a physical book. You flip a physical page to the left to progress and flip it to the right to go back.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #54
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Actually it simulates the way you would move through a physical book. You flip a physical page to the left to progress and flip it to the right to go back.
I hope that some Asian countries have a Paperwhite that works the other way around... It seems Japan is getting more and more books read from left cover to right cover, and from left to right per page, but many are still printed to be read from right cover to left cover, and from top to bottom.

(I think I'd feel exceptionally awkward if someone would take a Western fantasy novel, and then start printing it from top to bottom, starting at the right side of the book. It'd feel like reading both backward, and in the wrong direction )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #55
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
The hardware for PWs bought in Japan is (aside from the Wi-Fi) identical to e.g. the US ones. It's actually the individual books that control the direction of text flow, kinda neat! (For reference and light reading horizontal text -- paged left-to-right -- is fine, but for long-form reading it'll drive you nuts.)

When a PW opens a properly-formatted Japanese book (i.e. purchased from Amazon Japan) the text flows vertically and to the left, and the tap zones are automatically flipped left-for-right so everything flows naturally. The "page forward" area on the left is larger than the right area and all that.

All the Amazon Japan books I've seen so far have been AZW3 files using CSS to make the text flow vertically, but I haven't yet looked into what voodoo they use to alert the hardware to flip the tap zones. Nor have I encountered any AZW/mobi files at all from the Japanese Kindle store, now that I think about it. They probably don't have the layout flexibility...

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 04-11-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I a period.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #56
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The only issue I've had with the touchscreen is accidentally hitting an end note link when intending to turn the page.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Expensive solution:

https://www.google.com/search?q=touchscreen+gloves

Cheap solution:

https://www.google.com/search?q=conductive+thread {just sew a little loop of it into the thumbpad area}
you could also just use one of many capacitive styli out there that works for ios/android devices.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am a relatively new owner of a kindle paperwhite, and I personally do not miss the turn page buttons at all. Getting used to swiping or touching the right/left part of the page quickly became a habit for me and I wouldn't go back.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #59
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
One thing I've noticed about my PW: sometimes it freezes up, and no tapping anywhere on the screen has any results. The only thing I can do is restart the thing (hold down for maybe 45 seconds for a hard reboot).

My K3 with page turn buttons never did that to me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You have jailbreaked and modded your Kindle, if I recall correctly. Therefore, you cannot immediately blame this problem on the device; my Kindle has never crashed and never needed to be restarted during normal use.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote