Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #91
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I was gonna check if this schema was already there, but I forgot and just installed it, so can't check anymore.

It didn't do anything to the safely remove problem (as you already suggested), and the last apps functionality was already working before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The missing keys in gconf could explain the black-screen during start-up, the keys are read and maybe the code (that I added) does not handle the 'keys not available' situation correctly, causing a crash of (the patched) ctb...
If this is the real problem, the code above should solve that.
To be clear: I didn't have this problem (but others did I think).

Btw. Do you know if there's an easy way to read the contents of gconf (besides gconf-editor)? Is it stored in one file or in multiple files?
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #92
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
To be clear: I didn't have this problem (but others did I think).
Yes, I know, but I was almost ready typing the story when I realised that no code was executed during card-removal so I finished it.

Quote:
Btw. Do you know if there's an easy way to read the contents of gconf (besides gconf-editor)? Is it stored in one file or in multiple files?
I am not a linux expert, but I know that the data in gconf is (also?) stored in a directory structure in /home/root/.gconf (if I remember well). But I am not sure if it is really a directory structure or that the file-system shows a file-structure. It will probably not be safe to change settings there directly.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #93
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I am not a linux expert, but I know that the data in gconf is (also?) stored in a directory structure in /home/root/.gconf (if I remember well). But I am not sure if it is really a directory structure or that the file-system shows a file-structure. It will probably not be safe to change settings there directly.
You're probably right. Will try to restrain myself
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #94
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
after lots of tries it finally works ! great !

I installed iterm and mc as suggested by dima, indeed there were plenty of strange hidden files, probably due to stuffit expander, so I removed all of that,

I tried all the above including the changed apply.sh and adding the open_files schema, it did not seem to work until I copied these files with mc, it was only then that the installation icon changed to mackx hack instead of patch as in the old version (even though it was clear before that some of the new version was installed), now everything seems to be there, but I still have to use it!

off-topic: when I try to lock sensors, either from the menu or from the settings, nothing happens, anyone seen this problem ?
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #95
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
off-topic: when I try to lock sensors, either from the menu or from the settings, nothing happens, anyone seen this problem ?
I've not had any problems. To be sure: you know you have to do both, right? You choose the sensors you want to be able to lock in the settings, then you lock them using the menu.

Did this problem start after you installed the patch?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #96
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
after lots of tries it finally works ! great !
Great! I hope the new features are worth the troubles/effort you had.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #97
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
gconftool-2 is the preferred way to interact with gconf settings.

The settings are stored in an folder structure with XML files under /home/root/.gconf, but changing them directly is not recommended as it bypasses caches, type validation and sanity checks.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #98
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
There appears to be some confusion about the way sensor locking works.

The settings page defines which sensors are disabled when the "Lock Sensors" is chosen from the menu (or the Lock icon is clicked). It does not engage the lock itself. When none of the boxes are checked, the Lock Sensors option disables none of the sensors, which is actually quite useless.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #99
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Great! I hope the new features are worth the troubles/effort you had.
they definitely are. while playing with it, I realize that set as startpage, last-app and re-ordering of folders works beautifully, what is still corrupted (from some old installation or because of missing files ?) is the applications, xjournal, install views, they just do not appear contrary to what happened in patch 4. (i did put the apply_sh and the additional openfiles schema) I think that with 1 more cycle of erasing, putting the official firmware and then copying and applying the pacth everything will go ...

btw, concerning the manual, I wanted to read it while not connected to my computer so i copied it from rxvt from

/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_mackxpatch/docs/MackxPatch\ User\ Manual
to
/media/mmcblk0p1/Help
using the stylus,

considering the fact that you have to re-type the whole thing when you mis-spell cd instead of cp, and it actually works after that, the feeling of power and affection for the device a pervert like myself gets out of this simple feat is amazing, beats any entertainment you can get with whatever ipad app out there
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #100
fekhner
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
There appears to be some confusion about the way sensor locking works.

The settings page defines which sensors are disabled when the "Lock Sensors" is chosen from the menu (or the Lock icon is clicked). It does not engage the lock itself. When none of the boxes are checked, the Lock Sensors option disables none of the sensors, which is actually quite useless.
thanks a lot, i finally figured it out also after the post by rvs
Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #101
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
btw, concerning the manual, I wanted to read it while not connected to my computer so i copied it from rxvt from

/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_mackxpatch/docs/MackxPatch\ User\ Manual
to
/media/mmcblk0p1/Help
using the stylus,
"MidnightCommander" is your friend in this case.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #102
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Is it only in my case?

At first, thanks for your lastest update, mackx! I saw it a little lately, anyway it really helps now..
I also set 'RecentlyRead' as startpage, but when start-up, 'Indexing files' screen doesn't disappear, just stays. So I should click the screen once to make it away. It usually occurs only on my device? Or how can I solve this..?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #103
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
At first, thanks for your lastest update, mackx! I saw it a little lately, anyway it really helps now..
I also set 'RecentlyRead' as startpage, but when start-up, 'Indexing files' screen doesn't disappear, just stays. So I should click the screen once to make it away. It usually occurs only on my device? Or how can I solve this..?
I have not heared from someone else who has the same problem. Does it happen with every start-page or only with the RecentlyRead? How many files are in the recently read folder?
Timing seems to be critical during startup, it seems that some event is missed (or too early).

Last edited by Mackx; 10-20-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #104
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
a) Check your SD-Card-Filesystem, e.g. with scandisk (windows) and let it repair the errors
b) After that, put the device on ac-power and let it do the indexing over night. Be patient...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #105
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
a) Check your SD-Card-Filesystem, e.g. with scandisk (windows) and let it repair the errors
b) After that, put the device on ac-power and let it do the indexing over night. Be patient...
It was not clear that the indexing would not disappear (indexing keeps continuing), or that it would disappear when the screen was tapped (screen was not properly refreshed).
@bokjeid: can you clarify?