Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Ingrid
Ingrid doesn't litterIngrid doesn't litter

Device: iPhone. Opus. Kindle 3 incoming...
The new norwegian person says hi.

I've been lurking around this board for about four months now and finally decided to register.

I'm one of those people who swore never to read an ebook "because I just love the printed book too much." Now look at me; I've read more books since I got my iPod Touch about three months ago then I have during the past three years. The fist novel I read on my PC screen was "Prophet Without Honour" by Ragnar Tørnquist while being struck with a bad case of the flu. It made me realise that I would be missing out on a lot of good stuff if I didn't change my opinion about ebooks. It also made me realise that reading books on the PC sucked. So I did some googling looking for alternatives, found this forum and ended up buying the iPod Touch.

My favorite app for the iPod at the moment is BookZ, though I also use Stanza and eReader. The next reader I'll be likely to buy is the Cybook, and my favorite genres is sci-fi, horror and some fantasy. I'd like to read "proper" novels as well, but I have a hard time finding good ones.

I'm looking forward to exploring this forum more and getting to know all of you.

Cheers!

-Ingrid
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Welcome Ingrid from Norway! Great to have you here.

What, pray-tell is a "proper" novel?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ingrid and welcome to the Forum. Are eBooks popular in Norway?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Ingrid -- welcome to MobileRead. You'll find people here who are lovers of books as objects as well as lovers of books as words. There are few books (object) that I care about holding. I have an ancient set of fairy tale books that belonged to my husband when he was a boy and those are precious to me. But the majority of my books are mass market paperbacks where my interest is in the story, not the package. So, it was easy for me to appreciate the book in electronic form. I had tried to read on my computer using the Rocket emulation software and the MobiPocket reader, but I didn't find it comfortable. It was when I could easily acquire a hand-held device that I was sold.

Since your favorite genre is science fiction, check out the books at http://www.baen.com/ -- there are over 50 books available for free and hundreds more for sale. And they are *good* SF and fantasy. I've had a ball reading some of their books and am now 3 or 4 books into the Honor Harrington series with 8 or more books yet to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My guess would be a literary novel rather than one of the more casual genres such as fantasy or mystery.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, Ingrid. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Ingrid

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I think I'll enjoy this forum immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi
You'll find people here who are lovers of books as objects as well as lovers of books as words.
That is so beautifully put. It describes just how I feel about the difference between the ebook versus the printed book. I love being able to chuck down on the contents of the books and not be bugged down by the enormous respect I feel for the printed book as a medium. Funny you mention Baen by the way, cause I just started reading "1632" this morning after finishing "Coraline". I was very surprised at the quality of style it's written in. I'll make sure to add the Honor Harrington series to my library. Thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob
I guess I was referring to genres like historical and contemporary novels. The seem to be all the rave over here and are generally considered better conversations starters then *most* sci-fi novels.

cassidym: As far as I can tell the ebook isn't very popular in Norway yet. I can't really see it hitting mainstream for at least a few more years. Shame though, because it would have been nice to be able to read ebooks in my native tongue as well. Thanks for taking an interest.

Cheers!

-Ingrid
Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Ingrid. Love your tutu!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
Ingrid

Why thank you, slayda! I'm quite fond of it myself. Now if I could only get my own unicorn the world would be just the perfect place to be. =D

-Ingrid