Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
thax
thax began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770, Sony Reader (PRS-505, PRS-600), iPad 32GB
CONNECT software a sham

Evening good Mobile Readers,
I am infinitely sorry to make my first post a negative one (long winded at that).

BUT I cannot ignore the huge, embarrassing, disgusting, rancid, horrible and absolutely aweful software that is CONNECT Reader.

I installed the software from the CD, authorized my Reader tried to check for the store credit. Alas it was not to be, I then read and reread the threads here and the Sony help file. So I deauthorized the computer and the Reader, uninstalled and rebooted the windows XP and reinstalled and authorized again. No dice, frustrated, I tried to import some files. Text and the lbr files liberated from lit files processed through Bookdesigner (thanks Bingle, VVV) worked fine. rtf files are another matter completely, trying to import them causes the software to close/crash *poof*. No entries in the application error log or anything. Another reinstall and same thing.
I sent in a ticket to Sony, and got a prompt response with a credit code to get me my $50 credit. But as is becoming the norm, that code is invalid. I replied to that email and I hope they sort that out.
Now I can't stay logged onto the store for more than 10 minutes before it pops up the logon to my account again.

The positive is that all of my lbr files converted from lit files look awesome and the Reader itself is a joy to read. I took it to Old Chicago tonight for happy hour and a lot of my pals that work at Sun had immediate gadget envy. As is Sony's lot in life the included software is worse than freeware and the actual hardware is drool inducing.

I hope folks at Sony read this, I don't know if I am alone in this frustration but for the premium price I expect more.

Again hello all, I really am not this negative. I just waited a week for this thing to get here from the Newark airport Borders, I guess I built it up a bit.

Now back to reading, screw that CONNECT software!

thax =)
thax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. And I can relate to the feelings after waiting for your new toy. Have you been working with Sony support? I'm sure they can work this sort of thing out so you can do the basics. The software isn't full of bells and whistles, but it seems to get the job done pretty well for me.

Good luck!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
What I'm gathering from my reading here is that there's rtf, and then there's rtf. Seems like the Connect software doesn't like some files, possibly with peculiar or complex formatting (just speculation about the cause).

Try just typing a few lines in Word or something, save it as an RTF and see if it will import. If not, there's something very not good going on...
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
I've had a nightmare with RTF files. The software freezes and crashes whenever I try importing them.
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I didn't like the way my RTFs converted, personally. I think I need to find the perfect font/size pairing to make RTF work for me. Meanwhile, I'm using bookdesigner to put everying into lrf. I'm surprisingly happy with it for such a picky guy.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
thax

First off, sorry about the severity of the original post. It was posted after too many beers and a lot of talking with other gadget heads all evening.
I am happy to see that I am not the only one with rtf problems. I have been trying to get my books in there and I have copy/pasted into a new blank rtf. That didn't work, so I simplified the layout and that looks like crap and it didn't work. Next I am going to go through and make it plain text and then try to reapply it as rtf since text files look much worse. If all else fails I want to try and save in librie format since all the .lit files I have converted to that look great.

As for the $50 promotion, I called Sony this morning and spoke with a CSR, he was able to get my credit code that was mailed to me to be validated. So now I have my free credits to go buck wild on the CONNECT store. This makes me happy
Lesson 1, email support is useless, calling is much better (I should have known this).

I still think the software is crap, it randomly logs me out and blanks the login fields after I try to login and it also still blows up on lots of rtf docs. That 50 bucks sure is a good way to entice us early adopters into beta testing this stuff.

If anyone figures out exactly what it is in some rtf docs that breaks the software post it up and I'll see if I can replicate it.

Thanks Folks,
thax
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Can you post a link to a "bad" RTF file? Also what number did you use to call support?

I took an html text from gutenberg and spent about 10 minutes fiddling around with it in Word and exported to RTF, loaded fine on my reader no problem. Wasn't that much of a hassle and now that I know what settings to use in Word I'm sure the next time will be a lot faster.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by thax

If anyone figures out exactly what it is in some rtf docs that breaks the software post it up and I'll see if I can replicate it.
I've never seen this - I just spent a few hours converting about 20-30 books to RTF and importing them into the library, and I have only had one problem - it turns out that ScanSoft PDF converter creates gigantic RTF files (80 mb for ~700 pages!) Trying to load that into the library took so long that I gave up and killed the process.

But everything else has worked fine.... The software isn't fantastic, but it's far from beta quality. I wonder if there's some OS conflict or something that's causing these issues for people?
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My own experiences are more or less the same as bingle's.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Here is a link to a file that crashes the heck out of CONNECT.

Pilgrims Progress - John Bunyan
(yousendit) Pilgrims Progress

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
Here is a link to a file that crashes the heck out of CONNECT.

-lint
On my Connect installation at work, this file imports and displays without any issues (I didn't transfer it to the Reader, though, as I don't have a USB cable).

My suggestion would be to try reinstalling the Connect software, and checking to see what version of Word you have...

Other than that, I don't have any idea, sorry :-(

Last edited by bingle; 10-26-2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Don't know why I thought Connect was a Java app...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

i should have noted it loads in the library just fine. but i cant transfer it to the reader. I eventually found another text of the same book, formatted it and it was fine. My initial thoughts is it didnt like the header/footer?

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
thax

I fixed the files that were giving me trouble by copying the text out of word and pasting in bbedit. Then I resaved to rtf from there. That seemed to let it work. I just don't want to have to go Windows>Mac>Windows for all my books (in rtf).

Oh well I love the reader, 3 books in and my eyes have never had such an easy time on a non-paper page.

thax