wifish
SONY FAN
wifish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question what's wrong about the battery of my prs600

i get the same question,******* of sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielperson View Post

Now, I am aware that the 7'500 page views is a theoretical number, but right now I seem to get about 200-300 page views per charge (lasting me 1-2 days)

::zielperson::

Last edited by HarryT; 12-31-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Vulgar language removed.
wifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please moderate your language. Obscenity is inappropriate for MR.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you are truly getting only 200 page turns I would return it.

But, I would also be sure are FULLY CHARGE it to be sure.... and also be sure of the accuracy of the page turn count....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Not to mention: go through a few FULLY EMPTY charge cycles. Ie, don't charge it when it says "low battery", charge it when it actually turns itself off. I can read a LOT of pages after getting the "low battery" warning.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 7500 number also tends to assume that you don't switch books, make notes, read the dictionary and so on. Every time you access the dictionary, move through menus, or really do anything that updates the screen without turning the page eats into your page count. So all those additional features take away from reading.

There is also a residual drain from the CPU/RAM being powered that eats into the page count over time, no matter what you do, which can lower the page count the longer you leave it asleep (Sony's test of 7500 pages doesn't let it sit for very long, so the CPU is not really as big of a factor in battery life as it becomes over the period of a week or two).

I will agree that the battery meters really don't seem all that accurate during the week week of ownership, especially on the 600/900s where you have the touch screen.

EDIT: Also, 7500 pages is 7500 page flips of the device, not 7500 ePub pages, which is a bit confusing.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Jacobdan
Jacobdan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please moderate your language. Obscenity is inappropriate for MR.

Thank you.

hey Harry,

can you help me. Really off to a good start with my Sony PRS-600 and no issues out of box and to download ebooks etc. Even recharged via USB firts time ok.

Now went back to lap top (and desktop) to recharge via USB and all PC's give error message "USB not recognised" and "USB - unknown device" ?

Any ideas what's gone wrong ?

Thanks, Dan
Jacobdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
pink_squirrels
pink_squirrels began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
There is also a residual drain from the CPU/RAM being powered that eats into the page count over time, no matter what you do, which can lower the page count the longer you leave it asleep (Sony's test of 7500 pages doesn't let it sit for very long, so the CPU is not really as big of a factor in battery life as it becomes over the period of a week or two).
I am also having some battery issues, though unfortunately for me it is after the return time frame...
When I use the switch on the top of the reader am I merely putting my reader to sleep? if so, is it reasonable that while asleep for 5 or so days, the battery goes from 3 or 4 bars down to one?
Also, if that is just putting the reader to sleep, how do I turn it completely off. (Dumb question I know)

Also, someone once told me if you left the reader on whatever page you finished on,it theoretically shouldn't drain the battery as it is e-ink and doesn't need to be processing.....but I'm guessing that was a lie?

Thanks very much to everyone for your help
pink_squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Completely Turning Off PRS 600

To turn the reader completely off, hold the switch until you get the request to power it down or whatever. That is fully turning the reader off. Now, when you turn it back on, it will take at least 30 seconds to come back on.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_squirrels View Post
When I use the switch on the top of the reader am I merely putting my reader to sleep?
Yes.

Quote:
if so, is it reasonable that while asleep for 5 or so days, the battery goes from 3 or 4 bars down to one?
Yes, entirely reasonable.

Quote:
Also, if that is just putting the reader to sleep, how do I turn it completely off. (Dumb question I know)
Slide and hold the power switch until a message on the screen asks you if you want to shut the machine down. Say "Yes".

Quote:
Also, someone once told me if you left the reader on whatever page you finished on,it theoretically shouldn't drain the battery as it is e-ink and doesn't need to be processing.....but I'm guessing that was a lie?
It was certainly ill-informed. Whether or not the person was deliberately and knowingly lying to you, I'll leave to your judgement. The screen uses no power while it's displaying a static image, but the Reader is a computer and, like any other computer, the CPU, RAM, etc, all use power.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Harry T, are you suggesting to turn the reader completely off when not reading to preserve the battery life?

As it is, I only put it to sleep and have only 7 days use of the battery until the unit shuts it self off. This is from reading on average at least 3 hours a day, every day.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Harry T, are you suggesting to turn the reader completely off when not reading to preserve the battery life?

As it is, I only put it to sleep and have only 7 days use of the battery until the unit shuts it self off. This is from reading on average at least 3 hours a day, every day.
That doesn't sound too dissimilar to what I get. The 600 doesn't have a terribly long battery life. I find myself losing about 1 bar of power every two days.

Do you find it a problem to have to recharge it once a week?

You'll certainly get a longer battery life if you do shut it down, but personally I don't bother.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
twinszz
Connoisseur

Hi HarryT,

No, it wouldn't be a problem recharging every week. I simply like a product to do what it advertises. Other than the battery life, I have absolutely no issues with my reader. I will, however, try shutting it completely down at the end of the day to see how much more time that may give me.

Thank you, HarryT.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I shut mine down every night after reading and usually get about 10 days before needing to charge again. You may need to completely drain the battery a few times before you see real results.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
the major problems with the USB recharging way are :

- when plugged, the Reader is unusable.
- after being charged, it takes long minutes to sort again the Library -> completely stupid

So I wonder if, a power adapter would'nt be better ? Can we use the reader with an external power supply being connected ?
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
You can use the device while connect to an external power supply.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote