Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Sony Connect Licensing

I just bought a second 505 (blue, from Walmart) to give for Christmas to my daughter who lives in another city. My understanding is that I can log into my Sony Store account, authorize that device, and share with her some of the books I have bought that I think she might enjoy.

Can she then open up her own account to download books after she gets the gift?

I hate DRM! I share real books with her all the time and nobody ever objects....
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
Can she then open up her own account to download books after she gets the gift?
Ah no. The device can only be registered to one account at a time.

Quote:
I hate DRM!
Heh heh.. yea you and everybody else.

You can just maintain one Sony account. They don't make it easy (you can't have more than one CC on file) but you can change the CC on file every time you checkout.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
OK, here's a couple of scenarios. Would either work?

1. I register her new reader to my account, and copy some of my books to her machine and then un-register her from my account so she can start with her own. Could she still read the books which she got under my account?

2. I decide to let her sign in with my account information. If she downloads a book where she lives, can she email me the book and can I then read it on my book here?

Grrr ....
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
OK, here's a couple of scenarios. Would either work?

1. I register her new reader to my account, and copy some of my books to her machine and then un-register her from my account so she can start with her own. Could she still read the books which she got under my account?

2. I decide to let her sign in with my account information. If she downloads a book where she lives, can she email me the book and can I then read it on my book here?

Grrr ....
1. If you put two Sonys on the same account then you can both download the book directly from your books at the Ebook store. But, as soon as your daughter registers her device onto her own account, then the books from your account will vanish.

2. If you are sharing an eccount then either of you may download the purchased books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Part of your solution might be buying books from other suppliers. Fictionwise and other ebook retailers support the Sony format, without the Sony DRM rules. Take a look at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11052
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
We have a reader in Wales and mine in Spain both on the same account in our family.

Some friends have 4 readers on one family account.

It works fine no problems or as others have mentioned buy elsewhere or use a local library that has ebooks, download books from here etc etc.

AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote