Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
With the tax package coming (assuming you're U.S.), you could buy Kindle and something else. Woweewoww.
Yea, I would have like to get a gadget with my tax rebate. But, already put that towards the new pool deck.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm in wait mode right now. I kind of want a Kindle. I like the idea of the amount of content they have and the one line library storage, but I don't love their form factor. I also want to settle on a single DRM format (an evil you must live with) so I want to see what Astak actually comes out with.

I would like to just get Mobi for everything but my Sony doesn't support that. Argh... damn DRM.

BOb

(Yes I know Fictionwise has the online lib too... but they only guarantee your books will be there for about 3 months after purchase.)
In my opinion, with the Astek and Netronix devices coming out this summer sometime, I think you may be best to wait and see what happens with those. The thing is, you might be able to get one in a nice 9.7" screen size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just got my new Gen3 .

The nav button is significantly improved - a much "softer" and more positive feel to it. My "Enter" key now makes an audible "Click", however!
Has anyone else managed to get a hold of both versions of Cybook Hardware? Is the "Enter" key just as loud or less loud than the original? I know Harry didn't have a "click" on his Original Cybook.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #19
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Pilot Bob,

I'd think twice about getting a Mac Mini right now. I was really wanting one, but I just couldn't justify the price premium. Before I get all the Mac fans in an uproar, let me explain (BTW, I first read this explanation from someone else so I can't take credit for the logic).

The problem is that macs come out at a given price and stay at that price until the replacement model is announced. I remember when the last mini upgrade was announced, and I was quite impressed with the hardware. Now that we are getting close to a year down the road, that same hardware at the original price is quite long in the tooth. Remember that the mini has no monitor. For the same price, I ended up getting a quad-core Dell with a 22 inch monitor, more HD, more memory, etcetera.

The rumor is that Apple will be forced to upgrade the mini any day now because Intel is phasing out the current chip. If so, I expect the upgraded mini to once again be a bargain. It seems that with a Mac the secret is to buy early in the lifecycle. If you can wait, I'm sure you will get a great machine -- and I will be jealous, because I did want a Mac this time around.

Just my opinion,
Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
P.S. to my earlier post. The Mac Mini upgrade rumors have been around for a while. Here is the latest that I know about. However, I have been seeing these 'imminent' upgrade posts for awhile so who knows:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...c-minis-coming
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 02:07 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
wow, you really love your Cybooks! Is the "click" annoying, or is it pretty quiet? Also, have you noticed any difference in performance between your two Cybooks (speed or anything)?
No, the click isn't annoying - it's just "there" which it wasn't with the old machine.

Quote:
I'm a little annoyed that they never even announced they were going to release new hardware (since I just bought my recently and would've liked the extra memory) but oh well I guess, it's the way of technology.
That's life, isn't it . I placed my order for the new Gen3 the moment I saw the announcement of new hardware, before we knew what it was. I figured that if I didn't like the new one, I'd sell it; if I did like it (which I do) I'd sell the old one. They fetch good 2nd hand prices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #22
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Has anyone else managed to get a hold of both versions of Cybook Hardware? Is the "Enter" key just as loud or less loud than the original? I know Harry didn't have a "click" on his Original Cybook.
I got both. I have to say, the the overall feel of the revised button is alot softer. Both my enter keys make a clicking noise though (which i do not like). I will probably hold a couple more Gen3s in my hands the next few weeks and i will definately try the enter button on them, to see if i can find one, that is silent
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'd think twice about getting a Mac Mini right now.

For the same price, I ended up getting a quad-core Dell with a 22 inch monitor, more HD, more memory, etcetera.
Yep, but then it wouldn't be a Mac, which is really the point. I am considering possible building my own Ubuntu machine also. Or possible getting an iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
The Mac Mini upgrade rumors have been around for a while. Here is the latest that I know about. However, I have been seeing these 'imminent' upgrade posts for awhile so who knows:
Yep, lots of Apple rumors. As a matter of fact, the link you posted talks about iMacs too. Apple just reved the iMacs a month or so ago so I don't see another one comming very soon. If I did get a Mac Mini it would probably be a refurbed one from the Apple site. That would save about $100-$150 depending on what model I got.

Decisions, decisions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #24
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Question for the experts: how does one view how much memory a Cybook has? The "about" screen doesn't show it and so far I haven't found any (other) magic screen......

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Question for the experts: how does one view how much memory a Cybook has? The "about" screen doesn't show it and so far I haven't found any (other) magic screen......

-tnx,

Jeff
The original Cybook Gen3, which has been available since November, 2007, came with 64MB. The new version, which is the only one they're shipping now - and the only one we'll be shipping from the upcoming batch over at NAEB - is the one with 512MB.

Have fun and shop through NAEB, please.

http://store.naebllc.com/

Derek Benner
Not Another E-Book, LTD.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #26
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Quote:

-tnx,

Jeff
I just connected it to my laptop via usb cable to view the memory size,this workedfine.

Chris.
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBarrow View Post
I just connected it to my laptop via usb cable to view the memory size,this workedfine.

Chris.
Well.....when I view the properties of the internal Cybook 'disk' I only see a total of 54MB. So I did not want to assume that this is the same as the 64MB quoted in the specs. Besides the (possible) question of where did that missing 10MB go....I was looking for something similar to the Windows XP control panel -> System applet that provides basic system information like total system memory.

-tnx,

Jeff

p.s. Derek - I know that. I read the specs. But that doesn't answer the question.
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Well.....when I view the properties of the internal Cybook 'disk' I only see a total of 54MB. So I did not want to assume that this is the same as the 64MB quoted in the specs. Besides the (possible) question of where did that missing 10MB go....I was looking for something similar to the Windows XP control panel -> System applet that provides basic system information like total system memory.

-tnx,

Jeff

p.s. Derek - I know that. I read the specs. But that doesn't answer the question.

Jeff,

There are files on the Cybook that eat up some of the 64MB - about 10MBs worth.

And while it would be nice, Bookeen has clearly chosen to ignore the feature that was present in the design that is built into the Netronix EB100. (Yes, I can get an immediate read-out of the available memory on my EB100 - and SD card if there's one in place.)

Of course, the EB100 has this very YUCKY ebook reading app, so things even out.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In my opinion, with the Astek and Netronix devices coming out this summer sometime, I think you may be best to wait and see what happens with those. The thing is, you might be able to get one in a nice 9.7" screen size.
Yup, if the Astak can deliver on their promises, I think that would be the device to wait for.

June isn't that far away to see what the future holds.

And, as a bonus, you could potentially walk into your local Costco and check it out in the flesh before spending your green
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The issue with both the Astak and Netronix devices is, for me at least, not so much the hardware, but what book formats they'll support. Netronix devices don't currently support any of the popular commercial eBook formats; that severely limits their usefulness no matter how nice the hardware may be.

I understand that Astak will only be selling their products in the US. That's another significant issue for most people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote