Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
capuchino71
Enthusiast
capuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony prs350 ,and awaiting PRS-t1
Which one Nook simple touch or Kobo mini?

Hey all.
As title shows which one? I did'nt see them in real life, so which is with less bugs, fast , better screen , pros and cons from real users .
And is it worth rooting Nook?
Thanks in advance, need fast responses going to order in next few hours.
capuchino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
If you don't need a 5" screen, I'd go with the Nook. The firmware is solid.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't have a Nook but I do have the Kobo Mini and it is GREAT. NO problems with firmware or anything else.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
There's little to choose from between these 2. As far as I know, they have the same screen (technology wise) and similar battery life. The nook is a bit wider as it has page turn buttons, but other than that, I think you can't go wrong with either and is just a matter of personal preference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have no idea which one is right for you, but for myself, between the two I would buy the Nook. I like the page turn buttons, and I like the way the nook feels in the hand. I've heard more bad than good things about Kobo's customer service.

If you honestly can't get your hands on them first, order both from a place with a good return policy and try them.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
capuchino71
Enthusiast
capuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animalscapuchino71 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thank you all.
Going to order Nook, no idea why.
If not happy will change it for kobo, if not happy with the Kobo mini, will buy another second hand sony prs 350 .

Last edited by capuchino71; 06-14-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I got a Nook STR and liked it so much I bought a second. Its got a nice screen and a great default font. Don't like the buttons much but, as a Sony user, I'm spoiled. I don't read much on it. It makes a great little e-ink tablet
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I like my Nook STR, and would never think about a smaller screen. The Nook is smaller than a typical paperback, like most ereaders. I also like having physical buttons.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
capuchino71
Enthusiast

Ok, i got Nook str, loved it but it comes with his anoying bug too.
No WIFI at home, browsing internet for 2 days and i see it was verry common issue.
But i can't find way to solve it for me. I am UK based, upgraded the firmware to the latest Uk version 1.21 i think, but still can't conect, so after that played bit with my router, and manualy entered the nook MAC adress in the alowed ones, still nothing, no problem to connect to work place WI FI.
Any idea how to solve that?
P.S
I also rooted it, nothing changed at all, so gone back to the original state, and factory reset.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Have you tried restarting your router to see if that makes any difference?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have both now. I think the Nook is probably better, it has a 6 inch screen, better build quality and better software. Ironically I think I'll probably use the kobo more, due to it's greater portability.

I envision my use will be something like this:

Kindle paperwhite: 65 %
Kobo mimi: 30 %
Nook ST: 5%
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
capuchino71
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Have you tried restarting your router to see if that makes any difference?
Yes, i done that, my router actualy is seing the NOOK, but the reader state is as disconected, trying manual conect does'nt change anything, geting frustated even after paying discounted price. No real need for Wi-Fi , so will forget about it even if they are seling it as wi-fi reader.
And also i don't like the read next bar at the Home screen. It shows only books from Barnes&Noble shop, ofcourse if you are conected with wi-fi, if not its shows nothing for me, only refreshing circle.It was going to be good option if as reader we was able to choise something else to be showed from the Ereader library.
And finaly today was able also to try Kobo mini at the shop.
It looks smaler than Sony prs 350, Honestly i liked more the feel of the Nook STR . But Kobo mini have beter GUI i think with embeded WEB browser and few games, no trouble conecting to any router. Butc ompared to Nook STR i think Mini was a bit slugish and the touch expirience a bit unresponsive too .
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Sounds like you might have a faulty Nook/faulty Wifi assembly... perhaps try and exchange it?

As for the Kobo mini, it's a great little device, but I wouldn't really call the web browser a feature - it seems quite limited/slow. I haven't even used my browser. The Mini is smaller than the PRS-350 because it doesn't have the button row at the bottom, and the PRS-350 is slightly wider. I prefer the smaller form factor of the Mini but my hubby prefers the 350 because he doesn't like the fact that the Mini has no buttons at all. But yes, Kobo is perhaps not as solid on the firmware side of things... I'd still inquire about exchanging your Nook for one that has working Wifi though.

Good luck!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
TheMatrix
Enthusiast
TheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with othersTheMatrix plays well with others

Device: Kobo Mini, Ipad 2
I just purchased a Kobo Mini and love it. The set up is not a quick process, but once done your good from there. I haven't had any issues with the Mini and enjoy reading on it. My wife has a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight and loves it. It really comes down to...do you want a 5" or 6" screen. 5" and very small then the Mini, 6" and compact then the Nook Simple Touch.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
As for the Kobo mini, it's a great little device, but I wouldn't really call the web browser a feature - it seems quite limited/slow.
Agreed, but the browser comes really handy when downloading books from Calibre without plugging in the Kobo.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote