Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
EastCoastKody
EastCoastKody began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Need Help getting this thing setup???

I can't for the life of me get the device working properly with my computer. I unfortunately am using Vista home premium. I plugged it into the USB.....it came up w/ an Installing Device Drivers prompt.....after 3 mins.....it said it couldnt install the device drivers.

The manual says the device should show up under "My Computer"?? it doesnt.

after messing around ....now I plug it in and it tells me it installed the drivers successfully....but it still doesnt work. I opened Device Manager and it shows up under "Other Devices" as Sony PRS-950 Launcher USB....Sony PRS-950 SD USB and Sony PRS-950 USB.

when i click any of those it tells me the drivers for those devices are not installed.

I searched Google....this forum...wiki....i just cant figure this out.

I went and just downloaded the Reader Library software from the website...it doesnt recognize my device either.

I've tried all my usb outlets...made sure the device is fully charged...soft resetted it...restarted my cpu....most common sense things...nuffin

I did manage to pull some gangster shit....i used a memory card from my camera......put some books on it....then put the card in the 950....and it worked no problem

My mom's gonna mainly use this for library books....so its gonna hafta start co-operating w/ my cpu some how
EastCoastKody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never been able to get my 950 to connect to my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit computer. My 350 connects just fine, as does everyhing else I own. However I did get my 950 to connect to my Windows XP netbook without a problem. I know others have been able to use their 950s with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but everyone's computer is unique.

When I tried to connect my 950 to my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit computer it said that only 2 of the 3 drivers installed correctly. I tried deleting the 350 drivers, but no luck with the 950, although the 350 was again able to connect flawlessly. Sony CS is pathetic and useless, so I never found a solution except to use a different computer.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I suggest that you call the Sony help line 1-866-962-7669. They are usually quite helpful.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I suggest that you call the Sony help line 1-866-962-7669. They are usually quite helpful.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've had pretty good luck phoning Sony support.

The online chat and email support has been less than useful.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I had very good luck with phone support - they were quick and helpful.

Online chat has just never worked. I never got to talk to anyone.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I have the same problem. It happens only when an sd card is installed in the reader.

I think there is a driver conflict with the keyboard or mouse driver. If you have a USB mouse or keyboard try disconnecting one of them, counting to 10 and then reconnecting them. I find that this helps.

I am running a Microsoft keyboard and mouse. I have had the same problem with a Logitech keyboard with stardard windows drivers (I did not install the custom Logitech drivers).

I have had no problems with any Laptop computers running either 64 or 32 bit window 7.

Sony sent me a brand new reader and I had the same problems.

FWIW

Uncle Eric
estral is offline   Reply With Quote