Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #31
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesEBooks View Post
Fact of the matter is it doesn't work. All I can do at this point is send it in and see what Amazon says. I also didn't mistreat it or treat it any differently than in a regular day or than with any other device that I've owned. If it's a broken substrate (and I agree it does look like it) then I am very disappointed in the durability of the KV.

Question (and I'm afraid of the answer to be honest!): if it's a broken substrate then the device should still work right? After poking around the interwebs, a broken substrate should only cause the afflicted areas to not work. This device wouldn't come off it's sleep screen. I couldn't shut it off or restart it. Plugging it in didn't do anything and it just would blink on and off. Any one have that happen?
Looks like the Kindle got squished. It doesn't matter how good the case is if enough pressure is applied. Think of a car in a compactor, enough pressure and it folds.

Just make sure things are not pressed in around the bag you carry it in.
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #32
LovesEBooks
LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!LovesEBooks rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Voyage
Well just checked my status and it says "We're replacing your device. We've decided that the best way to service your device is to simply replace it. We're on track to have your device back to you by June 20."

It sounds like it's going to be replaced. I was honest in my chat with Amazon so I hope they don't end up changing their minds.
LovesEBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well just checked my status and it says "We're replacing your device. We've decided that the best way to service your device is to simply replace it. We're on track to have your device back to you by June 20."

It sounds like it's going to be replaced. I was honest in my chat with Amazon so I hope they don't end up changing their minds.
I figured they would replace it and no they won't change their minds.
Hope you get it before the 20th.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #34
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:

They won't, they have excellent customer service. My Kindle 3 did this and it didn't even go into a bag at the time it broke. I left it on the table and next time I picked it up it was broken. I keep my Kindle Voyage in my bag all the time with an Omotron case. The only time I broke a kindle in my bag is when I sat on the bag. I heard the snap. Out of warranty, however.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
They won't, they have excellent customer service. My Kindle 3 did this and it didn't even go into a bag at the time it broke. I left it on the table and next time I picked it up it was broken. I keep my Kindle Voyage in my bag all the time with an Omotron case. The only time I broke a kindle in my bag is when I sat on the bag. I heard the snap. Out of warranty, however.
At least now we all know that setting 25 lbs on a Kindle is a sure way to break it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #36
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
My Kindle 3 did this and it didn't even go into a bag at the time it broke. I left it on the table and next time I picked it up it was broken.
You won't necessarily see any damage immediately after glass breaks. It can start as an unnoticeable pinpoint break, and then spiderweb out after many hours/days.

I remember a couple of years ago a small rock hit my windshield. Didn't see a thing. It wasn't til a week later that the break spread all the way across the bottom of the windshield.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:59 AM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

That is good to hear. Have some Karma for your honesty. Strange, but it does pay off sometimes.

And good luck with your new Voyage.

Careful with the top of the screen - mine has developed a scratch. Well, all glass scratches and unless I am looking for it I won't notice.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #38
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
At least now we all know that setting 25 lbs on a Kindle is a sure way to break it.
haha
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #39
janrey
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You won't necessarily see any damage immediately after glass breaks. It can start as an unnoticeable pinpoint break, and then spiderweb out after many hours/days.

I remember a couple of years ago a small rock hit my windshield. Didn't see a thing. It wasn't til a week later that the break spread all the way across the bottom of the windshield.

The one thing I noticed about this particular kindle is it flexed quite a bit. I think this is what did it in. My replacement had no flex to it at all.